Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Mar 3, 2009, 05:08 PM
    Homemade Blintzes
    Does anyone know how to make homemade blintzes?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2009, 05:56 PM

The Shell:

4 eggs

1 ½ cups of flour

1 ½ cups of milk

½ teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons sugar

Beat the eggs and milk together. Then gradually sift in the flour, salt and sugar. The mixture must be thin and so if it happens that it comes out thick, add a bit more milk.

Melt margarine in a large frying pan and when hot, put about 3 tablespoons of the batter into the pan, tilting the frying pan to make the blintz thin. Cook each crepe-pancake until it just begins to brown and slide out of pan on to a waiting plate. Put the cooked side up to receive the filling.

Filling:

This should be prepared before the shell so that it may be added when the shell is ready.

2 packages of light cream cheese of your liking

2 egg yolks mixed well

3 teaspoons of melted butter

6 teaspoons of vanilla flavored sugar

1 pinch salt

Mix filling ingredients together until they are smooth.

Place a heaping tablespoon of the filling in the center of the crepe-pancake. Fold over from the four sides to protect the filling from leaking out. Roll over to seal blintz; it should look like a flat cigar.

At this point the blintzes may be fried to be served now or frozen for later consumption.

To serve they must be fried again in margarine until the shell is a golden brown. If you want to enhance an already great delight, mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle on top of the blintz. Even better, put it in a small bowl so that the individual eater may decide for him/herself how much he desires. Or it may be served with jelly or fruit

This recipe should give you about 15 to 18 blintzes

Source: http://www.jewishmag.com/91mag/blintzes/blintzes.htm
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 09:29 PM

Hello Earl! I'm a blintz fan too! Making them at home takes a little effort, but boy are they worth it! I'm including links to four great blintz recipes from one of my favorite recipe sites on the web. I've already tried the first two, and the last one is on my "to do" list. I included a recipe for potato blintzes as well. I hope you enjoy them! If you do try out any one of these recipes, come on back to tell me how it went. Good luck!

Cheese Blintzes with Blueberry Sauce Recipe at Epicurious.com

Cheese Blintzes with Strawberry-Rhubarb Compote Recipe at Epicurious.com

Potato Blintzes Recipe at Epicurious.com

Pear and Ricotta Blintzes with Spiced Maple-Butter Sauce Recipe at Epicurious.com
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 09:51 PM

I'm inspired! My mother made great blintzes, with raisins and spices and honey.

I don't have her recipe, but maybe I can figure it out from these.

I have her crêpe pan though...
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 11:27 PM

Oh, Asking, that sounds great! Your mother's version sounds delicious! Of course, owning a great crêpe pan means you automatically win half of the battle (especially if it's an heirloom from one's mother). From there, it's all about the quality of the cheese.

We have such wonderful cheeses in our area, but I haven't been able to find the right farmer cheese (or even a good substitution) for the classic version. We do, however, have plenty of delicious ricotta. Most fresh ricotta is made from cow's milk, but if you ever get the chance to try sheep's milk ricotta, well, it's even better. It's a little more flavorful, but still mild, and it's exceptionally creamy. Recipe number 4, it looks like I'm going to be trying you sooner than I thought.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand View Post
    Recipe number 4, it looks like I'm going to be trying you sooner than I thought.
    I just read it; my mouth is watering. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homemade 12v vaporiser [ 6 Answers ]

MK, since I have several electronic gods responding, maybe I'll ask more directly. I'm trying to make a portable 12volt vaporiser, tey normally sell for hundreds and I want to make some good money while at the same time helping people (at least) not smoke. The idea is a box containing a heated...

Homemade Pierogi [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone have recipe for homemade pierogi? You can buy them in bags ready to fry, but I would like to know how to make my own.

Homemade grass catcher [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any plans on building a homemade grass catcher, just can't afford one right now. I have a 1995 Murray 14.5 hp riding mower.

Homemade puppy food? [ 9 Answers ]

So my morkie puppy(yorkie/Maltese) just recently turned 9 months... but anyway lol... I was looking up like homemade meals online for puppies didn't really find anything good... I want to make him something.. kind of like a treat but like a meal like once a week... I have boiled chicken and gave...

Who knows anything about homemade lotion [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have ingredients for a home made lotion to get a lighter skin tone

View more questions Search