Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AnimalDoctor Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 04:32 PM
    Landlord Requiring 2 month Vacating Notice on 3 month (month to month) lease
    I am in a situation and am in need of some advice. I am currently renting an apartment in
    Minneapolis. I am doing an internship which only requires me to live here for 3
    Months. I signed a lease with a complex on a month to month basis. I planned to
    Move out at the end of April, so on march 1 I went to put in my 60 day vacating
    Notice (61 days ahead of my vacating). I was told that I needed to provide 2
    Full months vacating notice, and since it was the 1st of march and not the 28th
    Of February that I would be required to pay for an additional months rent.

After doing some reading I have not seen any other complex that requires a 2
    Month and not 60 day vacating notice. I also read an article of yours that said
    Under Minnesota Statute 504B.135 that a tenant on a month to month lease would
    Only have to provide a 30 day notice (since I pay rent every 30 days). I understand giving a 60 day notice, and I feel that I gave them enough time (61 days) but because of the short 28 day month I will be charged almost a $1,000 for an apartment I won't be living in.
    Before I go in and show this statute to my landlord I was wondering what your advice was.
    cdoggy Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 04:44 PM

If that's the law, then that's the law. Be nice about it. Seems like maybe the landlord dident know the statute or just dident care.

But if you have a month to month, in Minnesota, then you only need a 30 day notice. Tell the landlord asap don't put it off.

Mar 3, 2009, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdoggy View Post
    if thats the law, then thats the law. be nice about it. seems like maybe the landlord dident know the statute or just dident care.

but if you have a month to month, in minnesota, then you only need a 30 day notice. tell the landlord asap dont put it off.
    Before I had read up and found this, I had tried to submit my notice 61 days before I planned to move out (submitted march 1st). This was her response:

"The Lease states "A written notice to vacate your apartment must be
    Received on or before the last day of the month, two full months prior
    To move out date." This section of the Lease you signed indicating that
    you understand and agreed to the policy.

In the past, we have had residents come in on the 1st of the month to
    submit their NTV and I have declined their request. In order to keep in
    line with Fair Housing law and treating all residents the same, I must
    decline your request.

Because your NTV was submitted on March 1st, I can accept your NTV for
    May 31st but not for April 30th."

How does it work if the law says one thing, but a lease says the other. Even if signed is the law still correct regardless of the lease agreement?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2009, 04:58 PM

I would say they are quoting the lease and the lease very possibly supersedes the law (as long as it doesn't break the law).

Mar 3, 2009, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdoggy View Post
    if thats the law, then thats the law. be nice about it. seems like maybe the landlord dident know the statute or just dident care.

but if you have a month to month, in minnesota, then you only need a 30 day notice. tell the landlord asap dont put it off.
    Also, the article for MN law states this:

504B.135 TERMINATING TENANCY AT WILL.

(a) A tenancy at will may be terminated by either party by giving notice in writing. The time of the notice must be at least as long as the interval between the time rent is due or three months, whichever is less.

(b) If a tenant neglects or refuses to pay rent due on a tenancy at will, the landlord may terminate the tenancy by giving the tenant 14 days notice to quit in writing.

I interpret this as I have rent due every 30 days, therefore under the law I need a 30 day notice. Is that correct?
    cdoggy Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 05:20 PM

They may be quoting the lease word for word, if it is in violation of a Minnesota statute it is not valid.

Contact the landlord and quote the Minnesota statute, see what happens. The landlord seems to be up to date on what is required, maybe they have more info that you don't have.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 3, 2009, 05:27 PM
    Read again what Judy said. The law says; "at LEAST" as long as the rent interval. In my opinion the terms of the lease, if the lease says what they said it says then they are right and within their rights.

There is one caveat here. They can't double dip. So if they rent the unit by May 1, they can't charge you for that month.

Mar 3, 2009, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Read again what Judy said. The terms of the lease supercede the law. If the lease says what they said it says then they are right and within their rights.

There is one caveat here. They can't double dip. So if they rent the unit by May 1, they can't charge you for that month.
    So if I leave in April and they find a tenant by May 1st I am entitled to a refund for that month, without living there is there a way to find out if the apartment I was in had been rented? Also what keeps them from renting another available unit instead of the one I was in to allow them to collect rent on both apartments?

Mar 3, 2009, 05:31 PM

They are required to make a good faith effort to rent the unit.

Mar 3, 2009, 05:36 PM
    They are required to make a good faith effort to rent the unit.
    I have one more quick question. At this point I don't have anything to lose by trying to negotiate with them as they added almost $300 a month onto my rent for not signing a year long lease. Is it worth it to present them with this statute and see if they are willing to negotiate it? Also what would be an appropriate way to make middle ground as far as me paying them extra for not giving them the extra day notice and them being able to try and re-rent the apartment?

I also don't know if this makes a difference but when I signed my lease the person who I signed with verbally told me I needed to give 60-days notice, and I made them aware when I tried to sign my vacancy notice with 61 days notice.

Mar 3, 2009, 05:44 PM

You can certainly try to negotiate, but from what you have said I doubt they will.

Doesn't matter what you were told, if the lease is that specific.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalDoctor View Post
    I have one more quick question. At this point I dont have anything to lose by trying to negotiate with them as they added almost $300 a month onto my rent for not signing a year long lease. Is it worth it to present them with this statute and see if they are willing to negotiate it? Also what would be an appropriate way to make middle ground as far as me paying them extra for not giving them the extra day notice and them being able to try and re-rent the apartment?

I also dont know if this makes a difference but when I signed my lease the person who i signed with verbally told me i needed to give 60-days notice, and I made them aware when I tried to sign my vacancy notice with 61 days notice.

I don't think you read what I wrote - you have a written lease. That lease is controlling your obligations and their obligations. I do not see the lease violating your rights; therefore, the statute does not come into play. You cannot, of course, waive your legal rights but this is a contract.

All the terms of a written lease/contract are contained within the edges of the paper its written on - oral/verbal "sides" are meaningless. If oral assurances were important they should have been added to the written contract. You cannot modify a written document with an oral agreement - in general.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalDoctor View Post
    I interpret this as I have rent due every 30 days, therefore under the law I need a 30 day notice. Is that correct?

No, you are not correct. What about the months with 31 days? Are you going to argue that your rent would be due the 1st of May and again on the 31st of day instead of the first of June?
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Mar 4, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Just a quick note:

Minnesota is one of a hand full of states that do NOT require the landlord to mitigate his damages. The law states the landlord SHOULD mitigate damages... but the law does not state that landlords MUST mitigate damages.

Mar 4, 2009, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LILL View Post
    Just a quick note:

Minnesota is one of a hand full of states that do NOT require the landlord to mitigate his damages. The law states the the landlord SHOULD mitigate damages...but the law does not state that landlords MUST mitigate damages.
    Are you saying that in MN the landlord CAN double dip or are you saying, they don't have to try and re-rent?

Mar 4, 2009, 01:39 PM
    Are you saying that in MN the landlord CAN double dip or are you saying, they don't have to try and re-rent?

No... the law is the same as that of Florida law. The landlord can not double dip, but the landlord is not obligated to find a new tenant to mitigate damages from a tenant who chooses to leave prior the end of the lease term or during a required notice period.

Mar 4, 2009, 03:14 PM

Hmm I thought Florida was the only state that did that. Do you have the statutes?

My understanding of the Florida law was that it specified that a landlord need not make a good faith effort to re-rent. If the wording is that they SHOULD not that they MUST, that makes things different.

If I were a judge and found that a landlord just sat on a lease when the law said they SHOULD try to re-rent, then I would tend to rule for the tenant.

Mar 4, 2009, 03:31 PM
    I don't have the exact statute (had it this morning and can't find now)... but this is from the Minnesota Landlord/Tenant Handbook. I will try to find the exact statute when I have more time.

Read the section for "For Definite Term Tenancies"

Landlord-Tenant Handbook: Ending the Tenancy
    parkerbenson Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 08:11 PM

Technically, I think you have to abide by what the lease says, not what was stated verbally, as the lease is more specific. However, they are being unkind, and if this is a pattern with them, and they have done it before, they have a history of doing this, and they should have made it very clear before tricking you into giving them an extra month to work on the apartment, repaint, etc. on your dollar. If I were you, I would pay the amount you think you owe and move out when you said you would and let them chase you for the money. I am a landlord, honestly, it doesn't make a difference whether you notify them the day before the end of the month, or the day of, it doesn't effect their odds of finding a tenant. Did you tell them when you signed the agreement how long you'd be staying? Do what you think is right and what gives you a clear conscience.
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by parkerbenson View Post
    technically, i think you have to abide by what the lease says, not what was stated verbally, as the lease is more specific. however, they are being unkind, and if this is a pattern with them, and they have done it before, they have a history of doing this, and they should have made it very clear before tricking you into giving them an extra month to work on the apartment, repaint, etc., on your dollar. if i were you, i would pay the amount you think you owe and move out when you said you would and let them chase you for the money. I am a landlord, honestly, it doesn't make a difference whether you notify them the day before the end of the month, or the day of, it doesn't effect their odds of finding a tenant. Did you tell them when you signed the agreement how long you'd be staying? do what you think is right and what gives you a clear conscience.

This post is from March of this year - I'm sure the problem hs been solved.

A verbal agreement CANNOT replace or modify a written agreement - that's contract law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a 30 days notice sufficient if my lease has ended and I know pay month to month? [ 4 Answers ]

So I signed a rental agreement for a 6 month lease effective January-June and have fulfilled the terms but my lease expired on June 30, 2008. My landlord asked if I would like to renew the lease and I said sure but she has not drawn up the paperwork to renew the lease for another 6 months. In...

Is it common to have a 2 month notice to vacate on a month to month lease? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my landlord require me to give a 2 months notice to vacate even though my lease is month to month? It was in the lease which was originally a 1 year lease which after the year, change to month to month. I can see giving 60 days with the year lease, but not on a month to month.

How can I ask my roommate to give 30 days notice on a month to month lease ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am3 months into a month to month agreement with my current roommate. We were in a 6 month lease together that has expired over 3 months ago. I am currently wanting to dissolve the relationship and go into a 12 month lease with our landlord on my own. I know she is not ready to vacate, but can I...

Do I need to give 60 days notice when on month-to-month lease? [ 1 Answers ]

My one-year lease will end on February 29, 2008. In December landlord send me a renewal notice. I will choose the option of month-to-month, with an 8 percent rent increase. But do I still need to give 60 notice? My one-year lease requires 60 notice. I live in Yardley, PA.

Landlord Requireing 60 day notice to vacate on Month to Month Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I've lived in this apartment for 4 years. For the past year we have been going month to month, as we anticipated we might need to move out when we purchased a condo. Well, we got the condo, and now need to close in 1 month, yet the management in our apartment complex tells us we need to give...

View more questions Search