Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MRFBUP18 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 03:15 PM
    How do you progam a computer?
    March 3, 2009, I’m in the middle of writing a series of programs that a computerized mechanism/chip can describe (in detail) what those instructions are, for that specific device to perform. Being computer illiterate, I need those functions described, using my everyday language. Will someone, please, respond so that our discussion will continue? Sincerely, Louie
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MRFBUP18 View Post
    I need those functions described, using my everyday language. Will someone, please, respond so that our discussion will continue?
    ? I'll attempt to respond, but first I'll need your question rephrased in my everyday language that I can understand. :) Seriously, I don't understand what you are asking for.

In the meantime, as a starting point to build on, what follows is a general gist of how computers are typically programmed/software is created. First a programming language is chosen. Some common ones are BASIC, C/C++/C# and JAVA. Then using the logical constructs of the language, a sequence of steps are defined, a program, that when executed by the computer, the desired functionality is achieved. Once the program is crafted, all the program statements (code) are compiled or interpreted by utility software called a compiler or interpreter. The compiler/interpreter translates the human readable program into machine instructions for the target processor, such as an Intel Pentium, that will be used to execute the program. The output usually is a file, such as NOTEPAD.EXE, that can be loaded into the computer's memory, usually by an operating system, and executed by the processor.

Functions, in the context of a programming language, are a series of statements that, well, perform a function and can be logically grouped and referred to within the program as a unit. For instance, if while writing a program, it was noticed that the same sequence of statements was being repeated over and over again throughout the program, those statements could be grouped as a function and then when needed called from anywhere else in the program.

For an example of C and Perl code before it is compiled/interpreted, see Wikipedia - "Hello World".
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 3, 2009, 05:06 PM

I have to agree that your question doesn't provide enough info to give a good answer. I am, however going to provide some additnal info that may help you correctly formulate your question.

A computer is basically a device that is composed of a bunch of switches that are either on or off. The on/off state is represented by the 0s and 1s of the binary numbering system. A computer program sets these switches on and off depending on what it is required for the computer to do.

A computer programming language allows the programmer to create code at a higher level the then setting the switches on and off directly. For example the following statement:

If Age > 17 Then
    Agestatus = "Adult"
    Else
    Agestatus = "Minor"
    End If

Checks a person's age and marks their status as Minor or Adult.

Now, can you better explain what you are doing and what help you need doing it?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 05:54 AM

It sounds like you're trying to write some sort of compiler. This isn't a job for a computer illiterate. It can take years to perfect those skills.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Email folders/files from computer to computer [ 1 Answers ]

I have just purchased a new computer and have successfully imported the address book from old to new. But I'm having no success with transferring email folders/thier contents. Mail client: old computer is Outlook Express , new computer is Outlook 2007 . I cannot find how I transfer folders of...

Computer how do I stop limewire setup dialog from popping up on my computer [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help me stop limewire setup dialog from popping up on my computer, it always pop up while I am in the middle of something

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

View more questions Search