Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 01:47 PM
    Dog keeps jumping the fence!
    Hello,
    As some of you know I have a lab cross. And she will not stay in the yard! We let her out got 5 minutes go out to get her and she is running around on the other side of the fence. My neighbours said they don't mind it, but I don't want her to get hit or decide to follow someone away.
    She has been tied up all her life so I would rather not do that.
    We were thinking about getting her the underground fence but I just wated to know if there is anything else I can do?
    robynhgl Posts: 112, Reputation: 25

Mar 4, 2009, 11:14 AM

I moved from a place where we had 12 acres for my two dogs to run to a place that has a regular yard. No fences. I installed the underground system (I have a smaller Lab mix and a large yellow Lab that is very hard headed!) and it has worked very well. I did have to train them - these are dogs that have never been confined by fences. The large Lab did have to be tied if I was not out with him because he'd take off. But they have done very well with the underground system.

That is not to say I would let them out on their own with no supervision for the day or even more than a few minutes. But to let them out to do their business - they are very good and have learned the boundaries quite well.

I bought my system off e-bay for much less than I would have spent at a retail store (I have the Pet Safe system.) which can be pretty pricey. I was also able to buy a second collar for 'stubborn dogs' on e-bay. I ended up spending about 150 total.

And - I found out that Pet Safe also makes collars for cats that work off the same system for the dogs. The collars are smaller and made for a cat. I plan to train my cats this Spring so that they can go out if they want to also and I'll know they are not wandering outside the boundaries of our yard.
    sajjw Posts: 117, Reputation: 9

Mar 4, 2009, 04:43 PM

Is there not any way you can make your fences higher so she cannot jump over or would that be too costly?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2009, 06:10 AM
    Higher fances is the easiest way. We used a strip at lattice around the top of our fences (You know the criss-crossed stuff).
    Alternatively you could try what they use to keep cats contained in a yard and get a strip of corrugated iron and bend it backwards towards the yard, the dog can't jump over because it is bending back towards its head (note: put a strip of rubber around the edges to avoid cuts)
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 04:18 PM

Well, a couple months ago we were qat my grandparents house and they have a six foot tall fence and she still managed to get over it...
    sajjw Posts: 117, Reputation: 9

Mar 5, 2009, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    Well, a couple months ago we were qat my grandparents house and they have a six foot tall fence and she still managed to get over it...

Then you need to try an eight foot fence. Hope fully that will be too high for her.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Some dogs are very good climbers. There are fences you can buy for this, fences that are especially difficult to climb. Chain-link isn't going to work since it's too easy to climb. You might want to look into a stockade fence if your municipality doesn't prohibit them. They are relatively smooth and have don't have holes that would otherwise allow a dog to climb. They are pretty pricey, though.
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 06:02 PM
    I just had another thought. Are you sure she went over the fence and not under it? Have you actually seen her climb the fence?
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Mar 5, 2009, 08:42 PM

My dog used to jump onto his dog house then over the fence. Is there anything in your yard that she can use to jump on before scaling the fence. If so look for ways to either move them or make the fence higher in these areas. The underground fences can work but some dogs still escape if the need to is great enough. Good luck.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 06:04 PM

She doesn't climb, she jumps, but we have a huge yard and to re-fence it all would be a huge amount of money...
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 06:13 PM
    She doesnt climb, she jumps, but we have a huge yard and to re-fence it all would be a huge amount of money...
    I was afraid of that. You may need to fence off an area for her. That way she can have the whole yard in which to run if you're outside and watching her, otherwise she has to stay in a smaller area with a higher fence.

Would something like this be feasible financially?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 6, 2009, 07:12 PM

This may be a less costly solution to your problem. Plant hedges around the yard, by the places it is easiest for her to get out. You can find some inexpensive bushes that are prickly, but also decorative. They will deter her from trying to jump, if you get mature bushes. This would be much less expensive than building a higher fence.

I can't recall at the moment, but have you gotten her spayed yet? If not, this will definitely stop her from wanting to jump the fence in the first place, in most cases.

The most important thing is--- how often do you walk/run/exercise her? She obviously has a lot of pent up energy. If you burn this energy everyday, she will be less likely to want to escape. I'm not talking about a stroll around the block. Labs have an awful lot of energy. Do you ride a bike?---or Rollerblade? You could take her with you, and it's good exercise for you too! Are you near a lake or somewhere that you can let her burn energy by throwing her a ball so she can swim to get it? Labs are water dogs after all. Do you have a dog park that you can take her to where you can purchase a ball thrower, and get her running? The backyard just isn't enough, and is likely one of the reasons she's trying to get out!

It sounds like she just has a lot of energy that needs to be burned. I bet if you did even one of the things mentioned above, you wouldn't have the problem with her trying to escape and explore.

Think of the pro's and con's here. If she has an outlet for her energy, she will be tired and have no reason to try and jump the fence. It's sure better than worrying about her jumping the fence and getting lost or being hit by a vehicle.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 10:16 PM

I take her to a field near our house and let her run, when she comes back tired we go home... and no she is getting spayed this summer.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 8, 2009, 10:32 AM

You can extend the fence height using either electric fence posts or pvc pipe and relatively inexpensive livestock fencing that comes in rolls at home supply stores. It takes some McGyvering (is that a word?) and may look a little tacky, but it would serve the purpose while you got something more attractive to use on the easily visible part of the fence.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2009, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoue View Post
    Some dogs are very good climbers. There are fences you can buy for this, fences that are especially difficult to climb. Chain-link isn't going to work since it's too easy to climb. You might want to look into a stockade fence if your municipality doesn't prohibit them. They are relatively smooth and have don't have holes that would otherwise allow a dog to climb. They are pretty pricey, though.

My dog climbed an 8' tall chain link fence. I wouldn't have believe it if I hadn't seen it. I ended up with wooden privacy fencing (after the electric underground fence which did not work).

If the dog climbs, the height will not matter.
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2009, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carolbcac View Post
    You can extend the fence height using either electric fence posts or pvc pipe and relatively inexpensive livestock fencing that comes in rolls at home supply stores. It takes some McGyvering (is that a word?) and may look a little tacky, but it would serve the purpose while you got something more attractive to use on the easily visible part of the fence.

In my area this is against the fencing laws - I used a very attractive lattice and got cited. Check the Town/City codes.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 8, 2009, 06:30 PM
    I take her to a field near our house and jus let her run, when she comes back tired we go home... and no she is getting spayed this summer.
    I think you have to focus more on the reasons "why" she's trying to get out. A dog who is properly trained, and who's energy has totally been burned, will not want to get out. It takes more than just a romp in the field to fix this, unfortunely. She needs to go on structured walks, and she needs to do this everyday. She needs to walk like she's on a mission, or lets say like it's a job. She needs to focus and have no other choice but to move forward.

I believe I asked you before. Do you have a bike, rollerblades, a skateboard,---anything that can burn her energy quicker, and this way it won't take up a lot of your time either. If not, a long fast paced walk, possibly with a weighted doggie backpack, to burn even more energy in a shorter amount of time, is fine. But as I mentioned, you have to do this everyday.

I know this sounds like a lot, but what is your alternative? Your dog being hit by a car, or getting out and finding a female in heat? We sure don't need more dogs in this already overpopulated dog world. Your dog needs an outlet for her energy, and this is what you signed up for when you got that breed. A dog that keeps jumping the fence is lacking in exercise and attention. No amount of fencing will keep her in if she is lacking in that area, and even if it does, you will not have a happy dog.
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2009, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    I think you have to focus more on the reasons "why" she's trying to get out. A dog who is properly trained, and who's energy has totally been burned, will not want to get out. It takes more than just a romp in the field to fix this, unfortunely. She needs to go on structured walks, and she needs to do this everyday. She needs to walk like she's on a mission, or lets say like it's a job. She needs to focus and have no other choice but to move forward..

Is this the same dog that's been posted before - as I recall it was starving and chained and going to be given away. Maybe that's why it runs.

My dog simply climbed the fence and sat on my neighbor's patio but "Starbuck" is right - she was putting herself in danger. I have no idea why she kept climbing out and I have a second dog and they are always together - but she would sit on the other side of the fence and they would stare at each other.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 8, 2009, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Is this the same dog that's been posted before - as I recall it was starving and chained and going to be given away. Maybe that's why it runs.

My dog simply climbed the fence and sat on my neighbor's patio but "Starbuck" is right - she was putting herself in danger. I have no idea why she kept climbing out and I have a second dog and they are always together - but she would sit on the other side of the fence and they would stare at each other.
    With your dog Judy, I think that was more of a case of being mischievous. It sounds like it was more of a game to her. I've had some "houdini's" myself.

In this case, I think the dog remembers being confined, and associates it with hunger and being lonely. She needs to regain her trust in people. That is where the exercise comes in. It's not only the exercise that is great for her, it is a bonding process.

(Good catch Judy, I hadn't gone back and looked)
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    In this case, I think the dog remembers being confined, and associates it with hunger and being lonely. She needs to regain her trust in people. That is where the exercise comes in. It's not only the exercise that is great for her, it is a bonding process.

(Good catch Judy, I hadn't gone back and looked)

Out of greenies so here's a smiley face. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wood privacy fence with steel (metal) fence [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We are planning to put in a 6' wood privacy fence on the sides of our property. We would like to install a metal (steel posing as wrought iron) fence across the front at a later date. My understanding is the terminal metal fence posts would be directly beside but not attached to the terminal...

What is the average distances on the X-way fence to fence [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the average distances are on the US expressways from fence to fence? How much shoulder? How wide are the lanes? Lets just say two lanes each way. How wide is the strip between the lanes? I know it varies widely in places but is there an average?

Jumping and abs [ 1 Answers ]

Will jumping on a trampoline work my abs?

View more questions Search