Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sue3915 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 01:16 PM
    Louis Breton
    I bought a picture at a garage sale years ago. It looks like a painting or perhaps a colored lithograph with reasonably bright colors for its age, but it has a copyright in the upper right corner by Camilla Lucas 1936, New York. I assume this means it is a print, however it has what appears to be a signature in pencil in the left corner. The signature is Louis Breton. In the other corner, also appearing to be in pencil (though I suppose these can both be a part of a print) is the handwritten title of the piece which seems to be Envirous de Geruou. I'm not sure that I'm reading all of the letters correctly as it is in script and I'm unsure if I'm identifying them correctly. The scene is of a countryside village with three homes with orange roofs and a bridge.

I am afraid to open the back of the picture because the mat is quite yellow with age and I'm sure the paper is delicate, but if I'm going to keep it, it must be rematted.

Does anyone know anything about this artist? Do I have a print, a lithograph, or what? Does this piece have any monetary value? Is it safe to remat it?

Thanks,
    Sue
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:19 PM

from your description, my first assumption is that it's a print, or more specifically, a lithograph. If you would like to post a picture of it and pictures of anything you believe to be relevant, it could be easier to say.

anything in the condition you described should be rematted or reframed by a professional to avoid any potentially permanent damage.

if you are looking for its value, I always suggest seeing an appraiser.

a link to some information on Louis Brenton:
    Louis Breton - Artist, Art - Louis Breton

a lot of links come up on Camilla Lucas. You can see a bit of what I mean for yourself:
    Camilla Lucas artist - Cerca con Google
    Alces1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2009, 03:37 PM
    Sue3915
    I have the same picture. Would love to talk to you about it?
    Bruce
    thatcomedian Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Nov 26, 2009, 08:44 AM

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/art/ca...usa-10225.html
    Alces1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2009, 09:45 AM

Sue 3915
    Me again. Okay, let's see if you and I have the same picture. Overall dimensions are 21" wide and 17" tall. The cottage on the left has two steps leading to a green door. The cottage in the middle of the picture beside the stream has a shutter that is tilted. So far so good?
    Okay, we know the artist is Louis Breton. Louis Breton is often confused with Jules Breton of earlier fame. The picture is copyrighted from Camilla Lucas gallery of NY, USA in 1936.
    Camilla Lucas and Sidney Z. Lucas (SZL trademark mentioned in other threads) created lithographs/prints of mostly French and Belgian artist's works. The prints were signed and titled in Europe by the artists and returned to N.A. for distribution.
    The actual title of 'our' painting is Environs de Vernon. Vernon is in France about 60 miles west and slightly north of Paris.
    My picture has been in our family for six decades and I would never sell it. As to its value I cannot say but if you determine fair market value I would be interested for insurance purposes. Hope this helps!
    thatcomedian Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Nov 26, 2009, 01:18 PM

Search Louis Breton - Live Auctioneers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Louis Breton original prints [ 1 Answers ]

I have an original print #101 artist is Louis Breton, title is Landscape on the Eure River, France copyright 1936 Camilla Lucas ny-usa any info ?

Jules Breton [ 9 Answers ]

I I have a oil painting print I believe that says Jules Breton in lower left hand corner and below his name is 1881 I believe ,I found it in thrift store It is approx. 16x20 any info or value would be appreciated ,on the back of frame it was bought as Christmas gift in 1980 . Thank You Tonya

King Louis XVI [ 1 Answers ]

Why was King Louis XVI of France unable to restore his authority in the years 1789 - 1792?

View more questions Search