Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vibh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Wife on OPT+H1b and Husband on h1b.what form to file!
    Hi All

I am on h1b since 2 yrs while my wife.. she was on opt till sept 30-2008.. and on h1b since oct-08
    We need to file joint return as we need to claim her student loan interest deduction..
    Also she has 2 W2 one from her college job while other from her present employer.
    Can somebody guide how to proceed into this like what form to file and hw to handle her two W2 forms...

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 03:15 AM

You can file joint return as residents. You can claim student loan interest deduction and tuiton and fee deduction.
    For W2s add the incomes and add the taxes withheld.
    Read about F1/Hi1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband on H1B visa, Wife on F1 visa- Can we file jointly using form 1040 EZ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on an H1B visa and my wife is on an F1 visa. We got married in Dec 2007. I was wondering whether I could file form 1040EZ using the Married Filing Jointly status? Thanks a lot in advance

Husband file bankruptcy in hospital will wife have to pay? [ 1 Answers ]

My Grandmother wants me to ask wherever I can this question. My grandfather has filed for personal bankruptcy. She did not file with him. He just file recently and still has about 8 months on paying the trustee. He was admitted to ICU this morning and they do not know if he will leave there. If he...

Husband( IL resident)+wife ( F1 in Michigan), how to file state income tax [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Sir or Madamn, My case is as the following: Husband( IL resident)+wife ( F1 in Michigan originally from China and arrived in US in Auguest, 2007) We file federal tax jointly because my husband is a US permanently resident in Illinois. However we have great difficulty in preparing...

Wrong filing! H1-B File Form 1040 instead of Form 1040NR [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, Here is my situation: my OPT started from May 2006-May 2007. My H1-B started from Oct. 2007. I hired a CPA to file the tax for me in 2006 and 2007 w/ the form 1040. I just talked to my friend and she said in my situation I should file form 1040NR instead. So what should I do now? ...

Can F1 Wife file tax with H1 Husband [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an F1 international student currently on OPT. My husband is in H1B. I had an assistantship at school last year and I was a teaching assistant. Can I file my tax returns with my husband as married filing tax separately. My husband paid my school fees last year. Can I show that for...

View more questions Search