Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shanna72au Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 08:29 PM
    Pet Shop Switched Paperwork
    About 10 months ago I bought a kitten from a pet shop. I was looking for a male cat, as they are cheaper to neuter and it is not quite as urgent as a female. I bought the kitten, which was already microchipped, and received the microchip paperwork for the kitten. Some weeks later I received a telephone call from the council, telling me that I had been give the wrong Microchip paperwork for my kitten, and need to take him down to the vet and have his microchip number scanned, as did all other people who bought kittens from that particular litter.
    I got my cat scanned, and it revealed I had indeed been given the wrong paperwork. In general conversation the vet told me that there was one female cat in the litter, and I didn't think much of it until recently. I have not taken my cat to be neutered yet as I have not had the funding. I began to notice he was behaving very strangely, and putting on rather a lot of weight. I took him to the vet... and found out my boy cat is actually a girl, and expecting a litter of kittens sometime soon. Now I am faced with the added cost of getting my female cat spayed (approximately $200 more then a male nuetured) and finding homes for kittens, which due to new laws, all kittens must be microschipped, vaccinated, etc.. A cost which I can not afford. And then there is the chance of my beloved pet facing health difficulties during the pregnancy and birth. These are all reasons I did not want a female cat. In my opinion the pet shop is liable, and I was wondering If anyone could tell me what rights I have.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 24, 2006, 05:58 AM
    Without knowing WHERE you are located, its hard to say. Do you have any proof that you requested a male? Did you let the cat out to roam?

Without such proof, the pet shop can claim you never said anything. Its been a while since I examined a kitten but I don't recall it being too hard to tell the difference. Also, once you were aware there was an ID problem you should have checked everything.

I would approach the pet shop. I think, at least as a good will gesture (after all they did mix up the paperwork), they will take the kittens from you. But I doubt if you are going to get reimbursement for the extra costs of neutering.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2006, 04:41 PM
    I agree with Scott's assessment.

You would let your un-neuter MALE cat roam around, that is just as bad!

The pet store might take the kittens from you, and until you get your cat neutered, I suggest you keep her inside all the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coffee Shop [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to start a small coffee shop but I have no idea how to start to find the information I need. Can anyone help to start me on the right path?

F1>5 years, switched to H1B [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA in August 2000 on an F1 visa, and switched to H1B in Septmeber 2005. I read Atlanta Tax Expert's post about converting from F1 to H1B, but I'm not sure which of the 1040/EZ and 1040NR/EZ I need to fill out since I've been on F1>5 years and on H1B<183 days as of the end of...

Switched From Domain to Workgroup [ 1 Answers ]

I needed to use a shared printer so I changed from the domain I used to be in to a workgroup. However now that I try to go back to my domain, I can't. The problem is, my primary user profile is the one under that domain. So all my preferences and other settings have been lost and I have to go...

Building an online shop [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone advise me on the best value-for-money software to build an online shop? I have only a few items for sale at

View more questions Search