Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jengirl4101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 06:24 AM
    Is converting my 401k funds into cash a good idea?
    Should I convert my 401k funds into cash or some other safer type of investment?
    jcevans1017 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 07:20 AM
    No. It is at the bottom now so the best thing you can do is hold on till the market recovers.
    jengirl4101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 10:42 AM
    You say the market is at it's low, but looking at yesterday and today's performance are you still of that thought? Many professionals have a different opinion and that is that we are on a downward spiral and it is only getting worse. What makes you think we are at the bottom? It seems every time Obama opens his mouth the market takes a direct hit. What's up with that?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2009, 11:00 AM
    The same thing would happen if the markets listened to glenn beck, conservative talk show host. He's been talking about how screwed things are for over 1.5 years. So speaking the truth is bad, it seems. He was getting noise from listeners when bush was prez.

Do what you want. I'm not going to cash out my 401k at this point... sure I've lost a ton, but now isn't the time to pull... I am young enough, have time to recover, and have enough diversity to work through this noise.

I'm not willing to say we are at the bottom, and I'm not going to say we are circling the drain. Its going to be an ugly '09 and probably '10...

I'm a registered (R) who crosses party lines as needed. You don't have to like obama's plans, but to give the guy flack when he talks about how ugly things are, and to blame the market volatility on him... really is short sighted.

I believe mccain could be in there and still the markets would be sputtering... this slide was put into motion a long time ago and its going to take time to slow.

In the meantime, ill keep dollar cost averaging, look for cheap stocks, and not yank my money out when the market is down.

But I don't know your situation, your age, your projected time to retirement, your income, your financial goals, your diversification...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K withdrawal - Ever a good idea? [ 6 Answers ]

Is it ever a good idea for a 401K, valued at 36000, to be cashed out before retirement? I quit with the above employer over 10 years ago. I am 47 and both wife and I are working (gross income just over $100K). The only purpose for me would be to immediately pay off $26000 in loans (2 auto, 2...

Convert my 401k to safe cash funds [ 2 Answers ]

I want to convert my 401k funds to cash or equivalent funds. I am 68 and feel the market is heading for real trouble.

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

401k withdrawal.good idea? [ 4 Answers ]

I only have $4000 in my 401k, and was recently laid-off. I need the money to start a small business. How much can I expect to get after taxes. Are there state tax penalties for Florida?

New Invention Idea, help getting funds for prototype [ 3 Answers ]

Is there anyplace I can go to get help financially with getting a patent and getting the prototype built? My idea is a car that drives itself, not by mag rails embedded in the road, but by computer system in the car.:)

View more questions Search