Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    som_mojo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 06:36 PM
    F1-H1B: whendoes the medicare/SSN tax clock start?
    I am currently on OPT that will expire June 2007. In the meantime, my H1B has been approved for Oct 2006 onwards. On OPT I don't have to pay extra taxes for Social Security and Medicare but I guess as H1B I will have to. Now let's assume I get my h1B stamped on Nov 25.

1. Am I right that up to Sept 30, SS/Medicare taxes will not be deducted?
    2. Am I right that Nov 25 onwards these taxes will be deducted?
    3. What happens between Oct 01 and Nov 24? Are SS/medicare taxes deducted?

I am just trying to see if deferring the H1B stamping would give me a tax break on the SS/medicare front. Also if I do defer the stamping, what are the disadvantages (of course, I can't travel out of the country and come back without a visa)?

Thanks much for any pointers.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 24, 2006, 06:40 AM
    Since you H-1B visa becomes effective in Oct 2006, that is when you become liable for Social Security and Medicare taxes. Your obligation begins and ends when you tell your employer when the H-1B visa becomes effective. After that, it rests with your employer to begin withholding these taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clock [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a clock at a yard sale, it has (centurion) on the front, also (Korea), and on the back it has Korea stamped on it. It looks old, it is wooden, is a 35 day clock, with key and key holes for the time, and the chime, I think. It has a pendulam. I can't find any clocks made by Korea, or...

No Clock light [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Honda Accord and the light that lights up the clock is out. The manual gives no clue as to which fuse controls this function. When I check fuse 13 on the passenger side fuse bank, it was OK and the clock was disable while the fuse was out. Does anyone know if this is a fuse...

My clock is wrong [ 2 Answers ]

Heya, My clock on my task bar is off by a few hours... and a few years :S. How do I fix this.. It happens every so often and I don't know what the problem is :(! Do I need a new battery for it or what (lol). I'm what you call a computer newbie. Thanks.

Slow Clock [ 12 Answers ]

Hey Guys, MY computer clock has been losing about a half hour every twenty four hours. I first thought the battery was going bad but my neoghbor tells me that the battery either works or it doesn't. So he doesn't know either. The clock resets fine, it just loses time. This seems to be the...

View more questions Search