Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starsprklz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 03:46 PM
    Do I speak up or shut my mouth?
    Myself and two other people are general assistants to our boss who owns a small private business. Lately, since school has started up (both high school and college), our hours we are able to work have shifted a bit. I am generally the morning person and work alone while the other two are in school. In the afternoons, the other two come and change shifts. Recently, our boss has been wanting to alternate the other two's hours to save her money, but one (Assistant A) of the two needs to come everyday to meet up with the hour requirements needed for her Work Release Program class.

Today while Assistant A, our boss, and myself were discussing this problem, our boss blatantly stated that she needed to just get rid of Assistant B with the way our hours are working. In reality, it is probably the best business decision for everyone in the workplace. Plus, Assistant B may already be looking into an extracurricular activity that may take up too much time in the afternoons for her to work. But she is about to turn down that afternoon activity so she can keep working because she doesn't want to lose her job. Our boss simply said she would wait a little while, see what happens, and then talk to Asst. B about it.

Now, Assistant B is a good friend of mine and actually got me this job. I'll be sad to see her go and that's obviously one of the reasons I feel the need to forewarn her about the possible upcoming situation. But besides personal reasoning, I feel she needs to know ASAP before she ends up giving up the extracurricular activity for a job that might actually be taken away from her fairly soon.

It's probably not my place at all professionally to talk to her about it, but it would save everyone a lot of grief if it was simply put out in the open so each of us can move on with other possible plans.

I don't know... it just kills me to work around her knowing that our boss has other plans for her when she may be sacrificing other things for this job. Our boss definitely wants to keep her around to fill in and when we have particular shows that require extra hands every now and then - but not necessarily someone working everyday. So it's not like she'll be completely cut off, but it's sad, yet obvious, that if we had to cut one of us - she'd be the first to go. And the situation has come up where one of us is just extra and kind of 'in the way'.

So as a friend, a co-worker, and an employee - do I speak up about this with her personally or do I keep my mouth shut and let business run its route? :confused:
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Aug 23, 2006, 05:29 PM
    If she was indeed a friend, I would speak up. After all, isn't that what friends are for? That's just me though. Really I guess it depends on what is more important, your job or your friendship. Maybe there is a way you can do something annonymously?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 24, 2006, 11:56 AM
    If it REALLY IS something that makes a difference AND you can count on your friend not devulging where she got the information, then by all means clue her in. But bear in mind that if the boss gets wind of your actions, your job could be on the line for loose lips. Forgive me for saying but I am somehow not entirely convinced she needs to know as much as you are having difficulty maintaining a closed awareness... so please search your conscience too, okay?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2006, 02:16 PM
    This is a little tough. I have been in situations where I know info from a boss that I'm probably not supposed to be privy to... when that boss is a friend and confides. In that context, it has always been my understanding that it is a workplace issue, and not for me to divulge unless he gave permission. I've seen people I work with get fired, knowing well ahead of time it was going to likely happen. Again... in the context of the discussion, it is a workplace issue and for the boss to carry out. However, stating as she did in the presence of a third party... well then that's more open.

I don't think you can save your friends job. If she does the extracurricular, she's likely out. If she doesn't, she's maybe likely out, or not.

I don't know. Sounds like this is a college job for you? If that's the case you could always tell the friend... I'm not saying the job isn't important, but generally losing a job in college is easier than losing one when you have a mortgage, kids, etc. please don't take that wrong. I worked two jobs in school to get myself through... so I know college work can be the cash that keeps you there. You are just risking your job, maybe, by telling the friend.

If you feel like you could get other work easily, id do it... though I wouldn't say it was a done deal. Its not done until its actually done.

If you really need this job, if nothing else you might at least tell her that the boss is making some noise about schedules and thinking about changing staffing.

Or you can simply let the boss be the boss. Its her decision to make. She might just be thinking out loud. If your friend misses out on the extracurricular it's a shame, but not the end of the world.

Hey can't you wait until you're out of school and there's no more workplace drama? *ah... the smell of sarcasm in the air really clears the sinuses*
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Aug 24, 2006, 02:46 PM
    I agree with KP. I don't think you can change your boss's mind. If your friend cherishes her job, than she will show it by working extra hard to impress her boss. She will pay attention and notice that someone might have to go due to lack of workers needed or money that needs to be saved and will do whatever she needs to do to keep that from happenening.

I think by telling her, your friend, although not on purpose, may give away too much and your boss will find out. That puts you in a really bad place with him/her. I know she's your friend, but if you really need to keep this job, I would just mind my own business.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad taste in mouth [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I had a root canal filling on a wisdom tooth 2 weeks ago. I have had a bad taste in my mouth ever since. For the past week I have been taking antibiotics as the root filled tooth became so painful. Now much better but still bad taste in my mouth. Any ideas?

Orgasims and cold mouth [ 3 Answers ]

I was talking to the girls today and one of them asked me a strange question out of no where , she asked "does your mouth get cold when you orgasim " so basically I am wondering if this does happen , I myself have never felt the inside of my mouth cold while having an orgasm does this just happen...

Mouth Dry every time I wake up [ 11 Answers ]

I would like to know what does it mean when every time I weak up from sleeping my mouth is always dry. Its like I have to go run and get something to drink. Then on top of that I be feeling really bad. Can someone please email me back soon Thank You

Dark spots around face and mouth [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get rid of dark spots on my face?

View more questions Search