Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chopra Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 02:34 PM
    L-2 LED Social security number
    I'm on L2 with hubby on L1.

Questions

1. Am I going to get different SSN(Social Security Number) without LED and with LED? My hubby's company lawyer told me that I need to apply LED first and wait 3-4months to get it and then apply SSN with the LED I got.

2. My hubby is already in US for over a year now with his L1 and I was visiting there months but didn't move there yet. But now he's going to quit this company and will need to work for other compant for a year out of US. So now I'm in big question that do I need to still apply for LED and SSN? We are planning to return to US soon for ou future. And some says that maybe LED will be not valid once L-2 expires(I guess once my hubby quits the L-1 sponsor company those visas expires, right?) but still it's good to have record that I once had acquired LED for the future reference one day I apply anotherone in US. And most importantly, once I get SSN that will stay for lifetime with me.

I'm urgently in need of help of all you experts!

Thanks a lot for reading all.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Mar 2, 2009, 02:59 PM

Your SSN will be the same, whether you get an employment authorization document (EAD) or just a SSN to file taxes. (I'm guessing you mean EAD when you post "LED").

The company immigration attorney is correct, you would need to get an EAD before applying for a SSN, in that they generally will not issue the SSN unless you have work authorization. If you only need a number for your husband to file taxes, you can apply for an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on form W-7 from the IRS website.

You should apply for the EAD and SSN when you can. It is the same SSN for life, and will make things easier when you do move back stateside.

If this was helpful, rate this answer! Good luck.
    Chopra Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 03:31 PM
    Thanks a lot for your help. (and help also for my typo - -; yes I meant EAD with LED... I guess I was looking for the enlightenment so bad... - -;)

Qs I still look for answers...

1. Once I file the EAD, do I have to stay the whole period of 90days(that's what usually it takes? ) till I get the EAD issued? Of I can travel out of US during that period?

2. When my EAD is filed and in the procedure of that 90days, if my husband quit the company who gave L-1 to him, does that means his and my L visas expire at that moment? Then what's going to happen to my EAD? Will they be informed about our visa status and they will stop automatically the issuing procedure? Let's say, though the visa expires 'cause he quits the company, but EAD is still on the way and finally at the end of 90days I got it. And when I apply for SSN with it, will SSN office still issue my SSN tough my L-2 visa problem?

Thanks again for your help and looking for your answer!
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Mar 2, 2009, 03:54 PM

You can travel freely if you have the visa stamped in your passport, the EAD application is unrelated to travel on your visa.

When your husband quits, the L-1 and the dependent L-2 status ends. Your EAD, while facially valid, is automatically cancelled by operation of law. If you are out of L-2 status at the time you should not apply for your SSN. You don't want the USCIS ever to think you made any misrepresentation to any government agency for any benefit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrong social security number [ 2 Answers ]

If you was the payroll supervisor what would you do if you noticed that a Social Security number is wrong on a employees' W-2 form. How would you go about correctng the form. Will the employees be penalized for filing incorrect forms.

Regarding social security number [ 4 Answers ]

:)Hello, I need to know what my child's social security number is for taxes. His card was misplaced during a move .

Will OPT and CPT have social Security Number [ 1 Answers ]

Will OPT and CPT have social Security Number

OPT to H1B - H4 spouse with no Social security number [ 3 Answers ]

I came to USA in 2004 and was on F1- opt from Dec 2006 to Nov 2007. My wife joined me on F2 in April 2007. My status changed to H1B in Nov 2007 and my wife got her H4. What is my tax status and what are the forms I need to fill for tax? We are from INDIA. My wife is not eligible for social...

Social Security Number (L1 to H4) [ 0 Answers ]

Need help on the below situation One of my friend had come to US on L1 visa and got social security number during her work. Then she went back to india. Now she is coming back to US but this time on H4 visa. So my question is can she use the same Social Security Number for H4 that she had...

View more questions Search