Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzmichelle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 11:15 AM
    Cost basis for inherited property
    My sister & I inherited real estate from our mother. Subsequently, she sold me her portion. I sold the property last year and am not sure what to use as the basis. Do I use the appraised value as of the date I sold or the amount I paid for her portion? For example, the property was worth $80,000 when we inherited it, and I paid her $40,000 for her share. Do I use $80,000 or $40,000 as my cost basis, minus any deductions, of course.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 2, 2009, 11:22 AM

Your basis is your 40,000 (FMV of your half when you inherited the property)+ the 40,000 you paid your sister. 80,000 total.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who pays back property taxes in inherited property [ 5 Answers ]

I inherited 51 acres in West Virginia from my father who has died in March of last year. It is being transferred to me on Friday. The 2008 property taxes have not been paid. The will is going through Probate Court in Georgia now. Should the estate of my father pay the back taxes as the will is...

Appraisal as tax basis on inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away on Dec 7. Her house was appraised on January by a state certified appraiser at $135,000. It will sell on April 30 for $90,000. Can beneficiaries take a capital loss of $45000 plus expenses of the sale. More specifically, I guess I should ask if the basis on the house is...

Basis and Expenses on Inherited Property Sale [ 8 Answers ]

My wife and brother-in-law inherited their father's home upon his death 6 months ago. Brother-in-law wants to purchase my wife's share. Brother-in-law is also executor. How do we establish basis, FMV and report sale between siblings of inherited real estate? The plan at the moment is to get...

Basis in inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited rental real estate property from an uncle that past away 7 years ago. I just now received it because his will gave a life estate to his wife for the income from the property during her life. He owned the property as separate property. She has now passed away and I have received the...

View more questions Search