Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boogie12345 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 12:12 PM
    Vernon's Civil Statues
    We received a 3 day notice, hand delievered into our mailbox, giving us 3 days to vacate based on the above mentioned statue, chapter 163 article 3975, late taxes and fees. We were not told of the taxes until July. I plan on paying our part, 8 months in 2 days. Does that end the default or is there more we should do? We have no written contracts, this has been a real experience. The seller has changed on our verbal agreement 3 times so far. I have printed up a land contract and hope to get it signed. We have 3 children and would find it very hard to move in 3 days. Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2006, 12:49 PM
    Where is Vernon?

I really find it hard to believe that you would move into home without any written agreement, either a contract to buy or a lease or something. You have been very foolish and naïve and I think the seller may be pulling a scam.

If your name is NOT on the deed then you do not owe property taxes. If your name IS on the deed, then you should have had some paperwork transferring the deed.

Eviction for for non payment of taxes comes from the county not the seller. If the eviction notice is from the county then your name IS on the deed. If you name is solely on the deed, then once you pay the taxes you may not owe the seller anything more. If the seller transferred the property to you and you never signed a document detailing payment for the property, then its now yours.

I would RUN (not walk) to the Tax Collectors office and get this straightened out.

But you need to provide us with more info for use to advise further.
    boogie12345 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 01:05 PM
    I believe the people were trying to quote vernon's civil statues, which deal with Texas. We are going to pay our share of the taxes since we took over payments. We are going to get the contract in writing to solve this problem. Then we are going to refinance to get these people out of hair. We purchased this house to help both of our families. They wanted to be closer to work and family, us we thought a better place to live. We had originally drawn up a written agreement, but it was not signed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2006, 03:21 PM
    You are still leaving a lot of holes in your story. Who owns the property? Who's names are on the deed. You say you took over payments... on What? On a mortgage? If so, is your name on the mortgage? Who sent you this notice?

Without paperwork, you are in a very tenuous position. Based on the little you have told us, you are not on the deed and not on the mortgage. The real owners of the house can sell it to someone else and those people can have you kicked out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80's/90's unknown title (small statues) [ 1 Answers ]

OK saw this film years ago can't remember the title of much about the film! All I can remember is that there where a load of little statues. I think there were a group of fiends all of which had one they did something wrong and they came to life and then caused havoc!

Civil Case [ 7 Answers ]

My best friend was recently killed by a drunk habitual offender with a long criminal record, driving 60 miles an hour on 25 mile residential street. The DA has offered a plea, he will only be facing 75 months if accepted (nothing for all the heartache he has caused). Can the family file a civil...

Civil Action [ 2 Answers ]

I am a co signer on an auto loan. The auto was repossed serveral years ago and the remaining balance due was never paid. I am being sued for balance due, Interest and Legal fees. My question is can the sheriff sell my things and since my husbands not on the loan can they go after his truck that's...

Civil engineering [ 2 Answers ]

How a bridge on the sea or a river is build still having a lot of water?if web page aviable please send me?

Civil War [ 1 Answers ]

The 'North' and the 'South' were not different nations. I'd base my argument around defining a nation (no easy job). Then, go onto who benefits from calling it "War of aggression"? it’s a highly emotive name. In what ways did events fit that description? And Who benefits from calling it...

View more questions Search