Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dpaasofl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 06:09 AM
    How to Connect DVR + VCR + DVD player +DVD recorder and switch box
    Okay, I had this with maybe the dvd player and the vcr but now I'm stuck and cannot find manual for the dvd recorder. I have too many wires and too many electronics
    Result I would like, in the ideal world, is to have my dvd recorder to have the ability to record old VHS and DVR and other DVDs.

I currently have it with cable to DVR -> VCR -> DVD recorder -> TV, DVD player yellow/red/with -> DVD recorder. The DVD recorder has coaxial the DVD player does not.
    Problem 1: the VCR does show the DVR channels when DVR is on but the no channels when the DVR is off.
    Problem 2: DVD recorder not showing on TV.

Can I have the best of all worlds? I do have the box for yellow/red/white (video/audio) but I thought I no longer needed it because the DVD recorder has coaxial.

I did look for this problem but they didn't have as many devices and I believe I have tried the solutions mentioned there to no avail.

All devices are "ch 3"
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2009, 06:27 AM

Need to know the types of inputs and outputs on each. TV has Multiple inputs?
    Look through:

http://www.monstercable.com/connecti...tion_guide.asp

Select connection guide and connection types. Very helpful.
    dpaasofl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Thanks! WOW, I thought I was overwhelmed before, now I really am.
    Okay, I have standard TV (no HD yet, I'll probably be back after taxes with that issue).
    I have been connecting all with coax but the DVD recorder AND the DVD player have Composite Video (yellow) and analog audio (red and white).
    Hey, I just realized-wonder, is the reason I don't have picture on VCR when no DVR because of the digital conversion? AGAIN Wow I didn't think the conversion would have impact because I had cable. Maybe, I'm ahead of myself.
    Does this help or do I need more info still?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2009, 08:13 AM

Leave the DVD player out of the equation for a minute.
    Hook the VCR to the TV (coax connections). On some VCRs you have to push the TV/VCR button to have the VCR output show on the TV (TV on CH 3).
    Now, hook the DVDR to the VCR (DVDR out RCA to VCR in). You will also need a coax ant conn to DVDR if you want to record TV on DVDR. To receive DVDR signal on TV, you will have to select an input channel (back for present hookup but front is also an option) on the VCR and you may have to push TV/VCR button as stated above.
    Now you need RCA cable from VCR out to DVDR in, in order to be able to tape VCR to DVDR.
    Lastly, you can connect an RCA cable from DVD Player out to DVDR in (front connection most likely).
    None of this will work without the correct inputs on each machine (Source of signal for each is most critical plus TV/VCR switch as necessary). It gets frustrating but you have to think it through for each type operation, each time you set up a task. Also, some TV's have a selection on the remote to receive input through the RCA jack connections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect DVR, DVD/VHS recorder, TV [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a complicated set of stuff to connect. Complicated for me anyway! Most things I can figure out but this one has me stumped. The components are TV, cable DVR, and a DVD/VHS combo recorder. I've been able to get the cable TV signal to show up, and also the VHS tape to play,...

Connect satellite/dvr to dvd recorder to TV [ 2 Answers ]

I am having problems connecting my direct TV satellite with tivo/dvr to my dvd recorder and TV. I have it hooked up but it won't record.

How to connect new DVD recorder with old TV [ 8 Answers ]

I bought a new Panasonic DVD recorder with VHS deck (together in one unit) that I want to use to copy old VHS (non copy protected) to DVD. I'll be using an old RCA TV. The DVD recorder has RF jacks in back so I know I don't need to buy a modulator to hook everything up. :) The Panasonic...

Connect TV,vcr,cable,dvd recorder [ 2 Answers ]

I have a rca big sreen TV, digital cable box, vcr and dvd recorder. I can't seem to get it all connected properly by following the TV instruction guide or the dvd recorder instruction guide. I would like to be able to record dvd's from old vcr tapes, plus be able to have a strong enough signal to...

DVD Player/Recorder [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of purchasing a DVD Player that has the capability of "recording" at the same time. Can anyone help me find a quality (proven) device? I would appreciate hearing your recommendations! Thanks. Ponton

View more questions Search