Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Aug 23, 2006, 09:17 AM
    DirectBuy
    Hi, I just got a flyer in the mail about a DirectBuy store openning up in Saskatchewan. I have seen their infomercials on late-night TV and was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this company. Has anyone ever joined or dealt with DirectBuy? Is it worth it to join? How much does it cost? Anyone or anyone you know?

Thanks for any information you are willing to share.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2006, 09:31 AM
    Ok... I've never heard of them, but checked out their website. I'm leery. They say how consumers spend so much with retailers... yet they are middlemen themselves! I'd compare their prices to WalMart, Target, etc. and see how good they really are.

... just my 1.5 cents worth...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Hmmmm... what are the membership prices? It really bothers me when you can't get that information from their website nor can you get their term and conditions.

Aug 23, 2006, 10:08 AM
    This is what I'm saying. They still have to make their money. Is it really that good for us as consumers.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2006, 11:57 AM
    I agree, I would be a bit sceptical.

However, any new membership store has an open house for anyone to use.

I know when a new Costco Warehouse opens up, the first week or so, any member of the public can use the facility. Then you will need a membership.

So perhaps try the free open house at, see if you like it, then see if it is worth the savings with having to pay for the membership.

Aug 23, 2006, 12:01 PM
    Yes, actually we got a phone call and an invitation. The thing that struck me was that they didn't want us (my husband and I) to go without the other one. We had to show up together. It just seems a little off to me. I think DirectBuy has been popular in The States for quite a while. I thought maybe someone would know something about it. When my husband gets home, I guess we'll have to go check it out together.
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2006, 12:19 PM
    If they have a "seminar" then I'd be extremely apprehensive. But then again I'd stay to see what the "catch" is and speak up. It's all business. :D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aqua@home
    The thing that struck me was that they didn't want us (my husband and I) to go without the other one. We had to show up together.
    That's actually not unusual. What they want is to make sure a decision can be made then and there. Their market research probably shows that people who leave without signing tend not to come back. So they don't want people to leave saying they need to consult their spouse.
    baltimorehon Posts: 1, Reputation: 3

Sep 20, 2006, 07:34 PM
    My husband and I are doing major renovations to our kitchen and 2 baths, checked it out to see if we could save money, here is the long and short of it
    (actually their speel is 2 hours long) you both have to go (husband & wife)
    And are shown a long presentation about how you can save 400 bucks on this here Movado watch and these here boaters shoes that are the men are wearing and if you really have some money to spend you can save thousands on kitchen cabinets and furniture! Sounded kind of creepy fronm the get go but we listened, and turns out it is $4,500 to join for three years ( but they insist you will make your money back if you purchase a lot of high end items)
    Anf then it is $299 for the next 7 years to maintain membership. Then you are told to join tonight or their sorry but you can never come back because "now you know all of thier insider secrets" I couldn't believe my husband gave the guy some cash to let us think about and come back (the owner signed a piece of paper saying if we decide not to join we can have our cash back) so anyway we decided not to join and I went over there last night and was told the owner wasn't there and he signed it so I could call tomorrow to make sure he was there because he is the only one who can give us our money back. Well as you can guess I called and called and no one answers, they have a reservation line, so you can sign up for a tour, but no one answers the phones at the showroom. I faxed over our receipt and letter stating we will not be joining. I will also go over there tomorrow, wish me luck. BUYER BEWARE!! :eek: Think about it why would you spend money to save money? Maybe if the fee were like 500 bucks and you could save but 4,500? Stinks of a timeshare/pyramid, the people who work there are probably just trying to recoop some of the money they lost joining! Ha:D

Sep 20, 2006, 08:00 PM
    WOW... and... OUCH!!

That is scarey. I am forsure staying out of there. Or I guess we could go and have a look, just to never return. That's crazy what they are proposing. Thank you very much for sharing. If we decide to go, I'll let you know if it was the same for us.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2006, 10:18 PM
    Wow, I agree with Aqua, that is crazy baltimorehon.

Sometimes companies can be a real scam.

Thanks for sharing!

And good luck with getting your money back.

Going there in person, making a big stink in front of other potential buyers will probably get them to give you your money back to get you out of there.

After that, report them to the better business bureau.
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2006, 04:19 AM
    I just saw their weekend infomercial and they actually said (I kid you not):
    "The more you spend, the more you save!"

I guess that commercial is aimed at the fiscally irresponsible. :D
    Direct Buy Dissatisfied Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 01:10 PM
    I have just recently joined Directbuy in New York (Long Island). It has only been a week and I am dissatisfied already. After joining I went in and they gave me a 10 minute Orientation. (film). After that of course as a new member you have questions. The woman who I was asking questions with seemed quite annoyed that I was asking them. Second of all I went in for skylights and they do not have any books on skylights but was able to send me to one of their window distributors (more gas and time). He was able to give me a $700 discount price but I could not get an installer at a discount price so I ended up not using the source at all.

(this is whammies already)

I went back yesterday (11/5/06) to look about some Mikasa dishes that they have in their monthly catalogue that is given to you when you first sign up. There was some 4 piece setting dishes advertised for $40 through them. The Mikasa book was no where in the showroom to be found. I then had the owner of this location look online and he could not find them or much either.

I have also been informed about various websites that you can go on to but none of them work. The latest one http//:members.directbuy.com. It is almost Christmas and I can't log in??

Also the hours are not convenient and you cannot contact anyone by telephone. When you call all you get is an answering machine. I asked the receiptionists about this the first day and apparently they only answer the phones certain hours of the day??

I have also been reading things on the web. Saying that the shipping and handling fees that you have to pay can be very expensive and you end up not really saving much money. If by chance there is anything wrong with the item, or the wrong one sent you to, you are also responsible for paying for the return fees.

I want to cancel since I am only a week old member I am hoping that they won't give me a hard time. I did pay on credit card and I will fight the dispute.

Nov 5, 2006, 01:18 PM
    I'm glad I asked. It looks like it is no where near as good as it seems. I guess a person should just go with their gut. Thanks for sharing your story. From the sounds of it, you may not have much luck getting any money back.
    Direct Buy Dissatisfied Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 01:38 PM
    I am on a payment plan.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 5, 2006, 05:38 PM
    The ones I have seen are a buyers club, and basically don't have a big store like Sams or Costco here in the US. They have catalogs that you order things from. If you were going to funish your entire home in a year or two, if you don't mind not seeing what you are buying, it would be OK.

But with this, it is hard to return any item you don't want and have to use a service contractor for any service work, Not like having a dealer you buy from. There are at times benefits from paying a little more from a local dealer.

I love Sams Club and do same money over all but you have to watch things, since some items are cheaper other places.

Nov 5, 2006, 06:00 PM
    Fr Chuck, thank you. I do a lot of Costco shopping and watching for deals. I have decided to pass on the DirectBuy thing. I wouldn't be spending enough money to make it worth my while anyway.
    rockymtj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 02:55 PM
    I joined about a week ago. I am having the same problems that you are, Direct Buy Dissatified. If you do get your money back or get it satification, please let me know. I can't seem to get anyone there to help with any of the web site problems. It's like once they have your money they forget you. They got what they wanted.

Rockymtj
    harryleather Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Nov 21, 2006, 03:34 PM
    My mom is a bookeeper at the DirectBuy in Vancouver, BC.
    Here is what I can tell you, from an "insider's" point of view.
    DirectBuy is a franchise operation-so each DB will be run as well as the person who owns the franchise runs it.
    Their sales staff are all people who have done high pressure sales. They will not hire someone who has not.
    You can save a scad of $$$ on stuff, but only if you are buying a lot of high end. Only the really rich people who change up their homes every couple of years can really benefit.
    When you add the shipping, handling and taxes, you are roughly at what you would pay retail minus taxes. (suggested retail price).
    My mom got a membership through work. We have used it to buy laminate flooring, and saved approx $300. What would have cost us $1000 cost $700. We have also purchased paint-35% off. I have gotten printer cartridges and saved about $30 for 2 of them. The savings are better if you can go directly to the supplier with your membership #. We will probably buy a TV through them-although we haven't shopped around yet. It's probably OK if you are going to be doing renos, but the stuff you have to send away for takes a long time to come back, plus you have to pay s/h.
    The center my mom works for is being slightly mismanaged, but not as badly as some out there. The franchise doesn't come with a management course, like many franchises do. They do use a hard sell on the potential franchise owners too, at trade shows and the like, so the owners are not guaranteed to be good management material. Overall, it's probably a better deal to go to Costco or someplace for the average Joe Blow homeowner.
    inChrist Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 12:43 PM
    My wife and I joined in June and the first couple weeks we had problems because iur account was being set up. Since then I have shopped around and for the most part, can not find any better prices than at direct buy. We went because we started a house remodle and signed up. The 4500.00 was a lot and have had to put the remodle on hold because we want to pay off the bill. Which we did this month. After much shoppiong and checking everything from tile to appliances I will attest to the fact we only found 2 items cheaper elsewhere. 1. a nutone bath exhausst fan and 2. a jetted tub. Furnature and Julery are HUGE, HUGE savings. I am talking 50-70% off retail priceing. I will let you know how the ordering and pickup process is afetr we order some things. Two days ago I checked out a tankless water heater from direct. It was about 350.00 cheaper than anywhere online. Luckly a frind owns a heating company and I got one from him for 750.00. It was a little more than Direct but no wait. Go Direct buy you need to have some lead time because most items are 3-6 weeks out but well worth the savings. I will leave an example here. One person look up an item and give me manufacturer and model number and best price you can find and I will post the saving from Direct buiy..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search