Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2006, 01:30 PM
    I don't think anyone disputes that Direct Buy's prices are very low. But that's artificial when you consider the very high buy in. So you can buy $4000 living room set for $2000. Would you have bought that set in the first place or would you have bought one for $2500? And how much will you have to buy to make up the initial buy in? If you buy that $4000 living room set, then you still are $2500 in the hole.

This is similar to the issue one finds in many of the outlet malls. Yes the malls have great prices. But let me give an example. During the summer I was shopping for cargo pants. I bought 2 pair at a Bass Outlet. They were $25 marked down from $45. Later on I found pants at a Target for $15. Now the Bass pants were clearly a better pant. But the Target pants would have suited my purposes just as well. So did I save $20 or did I pay an extra $10?

There are people who will benefit from a place like Direct Buy. People who would normally buy brand name high ticket items. And lots of them to make back the original investment. But most people would probably not benefit.
    inChrist Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 01:43 PM
    You are correct. It comes down to choice. To go along the lines you were stating a person could do all there cloths buying at a second hand store and save big money over time. The higher end items have a bigger discount at direct buy the lowere end items atill have savings though.

Earlier in the thread someone wrote about a 299.00 yearly member fee for three years. Actually ours is $199.00 yearly membership set for ten years.

I guess one good point to make would be, if a person is buying items for a house and the item is a low end wood floor for $2.99 a sq. ft. instead you could get a mid end floor for the same price. I think if one is in a house over a number of years the overall value of the house and resale would be a further benefit of not looking for a cheaper product but getting a better product for the same price.

On a side note. I would say direct Buy is deffenatly a plus for the do it yourselfer.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Dec 13, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Thank you very much for sharing. I have to agree with Scott here, it looks like it might work for some people. I don't think I will ever spend enough to make it worth my while. Well I guess one day I might but that is one long shipping period.
    rr2309 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 01:45 PM
    I'm A Member It Is Great If You Are Buying Or You Are Building A New Home But They Can't Get There Web Sight Up, So Shoping At Home Is Crap, They Had Told Me I Could Shop Online For X-mase And Still No Web Sight. The Savings Are Big Membership Is High $$$$ So You Have To Really Buy A lot To Get Your Money Back. Some Of There Rules Are Stupped. They Like To Lie, Any More Info Wright Back.
    cjcdallas Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Feb 7, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Anytime I have them ask me to show up with my spouse or "else" it usually pegs my BS meter. I have been "suckered" enough and sat through enough presentations to make one puke on command. (Not a quick study. HAHAHA)
    They use this ploy on everything from timeshares to window installs, carpeting etc... If it is truly a good deal they would not need to use extreme pressure and one time only deals to get people to join. My opinion...
    hardwired Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Is the DirectBuy membership agreement cancellable within three business days by Federal Law?

The membership agreement states:

"Members understand this program is not sold on a trial basis and that no refund of membership fees will be made. Members do not have the right to terminate the Membership Agreement without paying the amount remaining for this Membership. "

There is no statement of three business day cancellation period anywhere on the agreement. Contract was signed in the state of Rhode Island and I live in MA. Any idea on what my rights are? Not having any lunk on the RI.gov website on consumer protection for this.

You pay upfront and they can hold onto your cash for weeks or months and delay the order to their financial interest.
    This is a bad contract and does not have any guarantee and they have the right to adjust prices and shipping costs on ordered and delivered products with no right to contest.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 8, 2007, 05:01 AM
    The federally mandated right of recission applies to credit transactions:

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:+
    (a) Consumer's right to rescind. (1) In a credit transaction in which a security interest is or will be retained or acquired in a consumer's principal dwelling, each consumer whose ownership interest is or will be subject to the security interest shall have the right to rescind the transaction, except for transactions described in paragraph (f) of this section.47

Try researching right of recission for RI and MA to see if there is any more comprehensive local laws. You can always try and bluff your way by sending them a cancellation notice as per your Right of Recission.
    hardwired Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 09:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The federally mandated right of recission applies to credit transactions:

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:+
    (a) Consumer's right to rescind. (1) In a credit transaction in which a security interest is or will be retained or acquired in a consumer's principal dwelling, each consumer whose ownership interest is or will be subject to the security interest shall have the right to rescind the transaction, except for transactions described in paragraph (f) of this section.47

Try researching right of recission for RI and MA to see if there is any more comprehensive local laws. You can always try and bluff your way by sending them a cancellation notice as per your Right of Recission.
    This is only good for real estate transaction.

Plan to honor the agreement and hopefully it works out in three years worth of large purchases like furniture and cabinetry. I see a number of suspect "new" posters saying it's good when the question comes up and a few who say it's worked for them among the rest that say beware.

The state of New Hampshire is adopting the three day cooling off period to cancel a buying club membership starting in 2008. I suspect there is a reason for that. Some states have clauses to protect consumers on health club contracts and timeshares, and adding buying clubs that employ the same sales techniques should be added across the board. I really thought I had three days to cancel like in a 2nd mortgage, but it appears not in my state.
    George818 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aqua@home
    Hi, I just got a flyer in the mail about a DirectBuy store openning up in Saskatchewan. I have seen their infomercials on late-night TV and was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this company. Has anyone ever joined or dealt with DirectBuy? Is it worth it to join? How much does it cost? Anyone or anyone you know?

Thanks for any information you are willing to share.
    I would be very, very careful... I called and talked with DirectBuy sales rep who needed my personal info and a firm appointment before they would reveal address of sales location. I do not think this manufacturer catalogue ordering concept can compete with Home Depot or Lowe's Home Improvement buying power and prices. Who do you think is indirectly paying for all those late night infomercials and high pressure commissioned sales reps?
    jatman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 10:56 AM
    Hi, I just got a flyer in the mail about a DirectBuy store openning up in Saskatchewan. I have seen their infomercials on late-night TV and was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this company. Has anyone ever joined or dealt with DirectBuy? Is it worth it to join? How much does it cost? Anyone or anyone you know?

Just had a inteview with direct buy to join. It is high pressure sales but I think it is worth it. You can save a lot of money. Drawback is that you must make an appointed and take a tour of the facility before you join (about an hour), and when you take the tour you must join that day or according to Direct Buy you cannot ever be asked to join again or you cannot go back on your own later and join (I did not join but am now trying to find out if I can force them into letting me join). It is a 10 year membership with the initial cost being about $4,700 for the first 3 years and then a minimum amout for the years 4 - 10. If you are going to do a lot of renovation or buying of furniture or appliances it is worth it.
    rajvindersandhu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Well direct buy isn't as bad as what some of the people before have said in the case of home improvement items your best choice is a regular contractor. But furniture is where these people really shine in our case we just recently purchased a new house and were able to outfit several rooms in Ashley furniture for substantially less than what we were quoted at the Ashley home store and several smaller retailers
    rajvindersandhu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 03:45 PM
    So basically if you have bought a new home and plan on putting brand name furniture then its your place to go and as for customer service the direct buy we go to has excellent service since it is in a major city (toronto)
    scammed in Tulsa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 10:51 AM
    We joined Direct Buy 7 months because we were starting construction on a home. The Direct Buy savings sounded great. We feel completely ripped off! We have spent endless hours in the showroom and on their website comparing costs and trying to find the savings that they promised. We are building a "high end" home and by their measure we should certainly experience significant savings.

So far we have not found savings on windows, doors, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, lighting or appliances. Some shopping around on our part and the 10% - 25% discount available to us through our builder has proven to be less expensive EVERT TIME!

Be smart and keep your $5,000. I hope this message will help others from being taken advantage of through the aggressive Direct Buy sales tactics.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 01:56 AM
    I agree with scammed. Some people who have money to throw around and want one stop shopping for convenience might think a place like that is a good deal, but if you check around for the best buys, sales, stores discontinued items, and second hand bargains you most likely are going to save more than paying somewhere to *save* you money. That sounds like as much of an oxymoron as the ads that say *save* $60.00 (by spending $500.00)
    Shopping around is always the best way to save.
    rfeuerherm Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Recently went to Direct Buy in Las Vegas. After sitting in pep talk meeting for 45 min. result was Salesman jotted down on display board the cost of various items, the cost to buy from "DB", what you saved. Result is from the example used a savings of approx $4,500 is realized, and this turns out to be the "Membership cost". Then there is the annual fee of $275 to keep membership. I opted out... No matter how much you save, you would always be out the $4,500, up front. Maybe it would be worth it if you were planning on spending $50,000 and they could save you $15,000 or $20,000 (But I doubt it).
    Raymonator Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Mar 18, 2008, 05:35 AM
    I'm sure most of you have heard this saying : If something is too good to be true, chances are, it is. For what it's worth, that's the philosophy I use.
    quicklearner Posts: 38, Reputation: 3

Mar 22, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Skip direct buy...

I was going to read everyone's post and then reply, but after reading the first few the consensus looks to be about the same as my experience.

They make it seem like an "exclusive club"... you go for an "open house" and if you have a spouse then you cannot come without them. Also on the questionnaire that they make you fill out to get your "tickets" to the open house they ask if you have children. This is, of course, to make you think about baby sitting, as no children are allowed.

You get there and it's like a group interview. Sales pitch, pleasantries, yadda yadda. Then they drop the bang that to join is like, $5,000 for "x" number of years.

This is good, MAYBE, if you are going to do a remodel or add a wing onto your mansion, but to up front thousands and then have to spend 20, 40, 60K to try to recoup your initial investment? Just save money as you go, the deals are NOT that great.

Here's the kicker... lol... if you decide NOT to join? They make you promise not to tell other people your experience, OR the PRICE.

Sleazy.
    tileguy17 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 09:59 AM

I was also approached by them. They wouldn't give me any ballpark idea as to cost of products so I could compare and to see if it was a wate of time. I did find out though. I own a retail wood flooring and tile store and my prices on first quality, not "A" or "B" grades is lower than their prices. Also, you don't know if you're getting "home improvement" store quality, which is usually not the normal quality compared to buying it from a professional.
    My advice is buy your stuff from someone like me or in your area... We don't charge $4500- to walk into our stores either... lol
    burgundywaters Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 08:58 PM
    My boyfriend and I signed up with Directbuy at the end of December. In January we hit a huge slump financially and are unable to continue with the direct buy payments (we had yet to pay the first month) and they have given us a hard time. Not returning our calls... setting out of office replies when they are in the office to avoid responding to emails... rolling their eyes when you walk in to talk to someone or when they know you by name and you haven't met them yet. Oh and one guy said to my boyfriend "we own you"... can you believe it? DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH DIRECT BUY AND TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW! They have been less than cooperative with us and we are drowning and they are heartless monsters. We're now mid February and we are still fighting... not sure what the outcome is...
    financeguru Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2012, 10:23 AM
    Be very careful with Driect Buy. You can tell a lot about a company by the way they force feed you their membership. Very hard sell... much like time share... and look what happened to time share. However there are enough stupid people out there to keep Direct Buy in business for a while.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search