Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carmenmiranda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2009, 07:24 PM
    Parts of a showerhead assembly
    What valves and other parts does one need to buy to install a showerhead and handle(s) in a new shower?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2009, 07:41 PM

It varies a bit by manufacturer, but not a lot.

I just installed a showerhead and trim in my shower. I bought a Delta valve -- not the most expensive or necessarily the best. I purchased the "cartridge" (including the handle and trim) and the "body" separately, but at the same time and from the same place. I found that at Home Depot and Lowe's, they sell the body along with the cartridge. There are sometimes different options in the cartridge, so purchasing everything in one box may be convenient, but it may not be exactly what you want.

The showerhead is a single part except that there's usually a decorative piece of pipe coming out of the wall. At Lowe's and Home Depot, they also sold these in the box along with the valve and body. (I didn't purchase from these places).

Of course, there are pipes and fittings behind the wall -- and shut-offs. The shower cartridge had the option of having screwdriver shut-offs in the body. Since I had a more convenient set of shut-offs already installed, and readily accessible while the valve body was going to be behind drywall, I chose the body without the shut-offs.

There are a lot of plumbing supply places that sell these things. Just Google "shower valves" or "shower trim and you'll find enough information to keep you going for a while.
    carmenmiranda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Thank you, Perito. So, I need a valve, the showerhead, the wall extension, trim, and..

carmenmiranda
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2009, 08:20 PM

Showerhead, pipe to the showerhead, connecting pipes and fittings, shower valve including cartridge, body, trim, handle and that's about it.

I think if you go into a home improvement store (Lowes or Home Depot) and see what they have, you'll see everything that there is to see. Open a box and look inside. It's all there except for the pipes (I have 1/2" copper in my house).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 08:26 PM

If you go to Home Depot, Lowe's or Menards they will sell a boxed unit which contains all you need. The mixing valve and trim kit will be there along with the shower extension and even the shower head. I highly recommend Moen products for easy installation and super warranty.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2009, 09:35 AM

I agree with Ballengerg1 (Bob), Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No water comes out of showerhead, [ 4 Answers ]

I can't get the little knob that turns on the shower and turns off the water in the tub to stay up,I took off the showerhead that is not the problem The water does not go up to the shower unless I place a rag over the pipe and turn the water on.

Leaking showerhead [ 1 Answers ]

My showerhead leaks when water is being used in any other part of the house. Should I replace the showerhead (or washers) or is it a sign of a bigger problem?

Getting the best pressure from the showerhead [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I used to do plumbing work years ago so I still know a lot of the basics but since its been 20 years I thought I'd ask... I have a 1" copper main coming into my house I have three and a half baths in the house. I have installed a newport brass shower thermostatic valve with hand...

Stuck Showerhead [ 1 Answers ]

I want to change a shower head and it simply will not budge. I've used all the correct tools-it's probably threaded incorrectly. I've also tried to change the whole arm and showerhead and will not budge either. Are there any tricks to losen the arm or showerhead? HELP! It's such an easy...

Removing old showerhead [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to remove my old shower head (using two wrenches, etc) but it isn't budging. What else can I do?

View more questions Search