Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lantirn_light Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Mar 1, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Moen Château shower faucet not mxing hot/cold after replacing cartridge and flushing
    I'm looking for some guidance on what do next... I've already done some research on the forums here to solve my problem and have basically exhausted all current things I know to do.

Problem: Moen Château single handle faucet, circa 1982 (not Positemp - pulls straight out, left for hot, right for cold) stopped mixing hot/cold effectively about a week ago. Cold pressure is fine, hot pressure is a trickle. All other faucets/showers in house have hot water with plenty of pressue (i.e water heater works).

Fixes done already:

1. Shut off water main (my house was not designed well... no access panel to rear of shower faucet, it's behind a wall)
    2. Removed old handle, eschucheon plate, and cartridge
    3. Felt around inside middle of open faucet for obstructions or sediment... did not find any.
    4. Felt around from the valve body from the front to see if there are any stop check valves or balancing valves to adjust/replace... none that I can find
    5. Sprayed some Lime A Way inside middle of open faucet and let sit for an hour.
    6. Turned water main back on to flush the valve and Lime A Way for 2 minutes while my wife watched... water ran clear very quickly, no real sediment came out, shut water main
    7. Replaced cartridge with brand new Moen 1225 (Moen brand, not generic) cartridge, brand new eschucheon plate and handle as well for aesthetics
    8. Turned water main back on
    9. Shower faucet has the same problem.

Suggestions? Given the lack of access panel from the rear my only other choice that I can think of at this point is to have a plumber replace the faucet valve body entirely from the front which would be an expensive proposition given the amount of tear out and retiling needed.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 05:58 PM

When you did your #6 did you try to do just the hot side and then the cold side. Your supply lines are separate and each need to be verified for proper volume. Everything you did was dead on and should have repaired a bad cartridge problem, so I must assume you don't have a cartridge problem at all, it's a supply line problem. In most homes its easy to shut off just the hot water but nearly impossible to just close the cold supply to a shower, you may have to actually cut a cold line and install a ball valve. I am giving you a Moen tutorial just to review your steps but it did appear you did the replacemnt correctly. http://www.moen.com/consumersupport/...3/moen0133.cfm

Mar 1, 2009, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    When you did your #6 did you try to do just the hot side and then the cold side. Your supply lines are separate and each need to be verified for proper volume. Everything you did was dead on and should have repaired a bad cartridge problem, so I must assume you don't have a cartridge problem at all, its a supply line problem. In most homes its easy to shut off just the hot water but nearly impossible to just close the cold supply to a shower, you may have to actually cut a cold line and install a ball valve. I am giving you a Moen tutorial just to review your steps but it did appear you did the replacemnt correctly. Installation Help / Animated Tutorial - Installing the Moen 1225 / 1200 Cartridge
    Alas, I would have done that on #6 if I could have. There doesn't appear to be any shutoff valves for either the hot or cold supply lines to this shower... at least if there are, they are behind a wall and inaccessible, unlike the recently remodeled shower in the basement. I will check the basement to see if there is a shutoff valve for the cold water after the main -> water heater connection. Thanks.

Mar 1, 2009, 06:32 PM

You can shut off your hot supply by closing the valve just above your water heater, that stops all hot throughoutthe house. The only times I see cold shut offs midway through a house is when there has been an addition or major repair.renovation. That's why I said you may need to cut a cold line just prior to the bath and install a ball valve, you could go with a Sharkbite if you aren't handy with a solder torch. Welcome To Cash Acme

Mar 2, 2009, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You can shut off your hot supply by closing the valve just above your water heater, that stops all hot throughoutthe house. The only times I see cold shut offs midway through a house is when there has been an addition or major repair.renovation. Thats why I said you may need to cut a cold line just prior to the bath and install a ball valve, you could go with a Sharkbite if you aren't handy with a solder torch. Welcome To Cash Acme
    Yup, definitely couldn't find a midway shutoff... not handy with soldering at all, so the SharkBite ball valve looks promising. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Mar 2, 2009, 05:28 PM

Sharkbites are not cheap but you only need to add that one valve. Anybody with a tubing cutter can install the valve.
    gramps13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2012, 09:10 AM
    Just called a plumber and he suspects the "anti-scalding" valve needs to be rebuilt. Does this sound feasible ? Quoted over $ 400 to rebuild it...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 1, 2012, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gramps13 View Post
    Just called a plumber and he suspects the "anti-scalding" valve needs to be rebuilt. Does this sound feasible ? Quoted over $ 400 to rebuild it ...
    What's the brand and model of your shower valve? Back to you. Tom
    lindyj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2012, 07:05 AM
    Bought a new moen château valve and found DIY installation instructions online. Now works like a charm! Thanks for all your input. (Old one was "stuck" because of greenstone in our water supply)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing moen shower faucet cartridge valve [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1988 moen single handle shower faucet that won't stop dripping. I took it apart, removed the u-shaped pin, but how do I remove the cartridge to replace the washers?

Moen Faucet in Shower only running cold. [ 11 Answers ]

Moen faucet in shower but no hot water coming out. Only been in the house a year and a half and it was brand new. It did work for a while and now it does not. Any ideas? Thanks.

How to stop leak in Moen single lever shower faucet by changing cartridge [ 3 Answers ]

How do you pull the cartridge out to change it?

Installing cartridge in single handle moen faucet for shower [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a trick to this - I cannot get the cartridge all the way in

View more questions Search