Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ozzi1967 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2009, 12:51 PM
    Istall 1 PC shower stall
    Any tips about frame ,and can I run the drain through the washer drain?

Thank you
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 06:29 PM
    Hi Ozzie...

Framing should be as directed by the manufacturer of the unit... remember that the unit will be perfectly square... walls should be, too! Never a bad idea to frame about 1/8" larger than manufacturer spec...o.k. (but no larger)? Be sure to check if the manufacturer recommends setting the shower unit in a bedding substrate such as plaster or structolite.

In terms of the drain, it should be possible to connect into the washing machine drain (underground or in cellar), but you will also be required to VENT the shower or could have poor result!

Post this question over in the plumbing forum and we'll see what we can come up with... ;)

Thank you... MARK

Mar 1, 2009, 07:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Ozzie...

Framing should be as directed by the manufacturer of the unit...remember that the unit will be perfectly square....walls should be, too! Never a bad idea to frame about 1/8" larger than manufacturer spec...o.k. (but no larger)? Be sure to check if the manufacturer recommends setting the shower unit in a bedding substrate such as plaster or structolite.

In terms of the drain, it should be possible to connect into the washing machine drain (underground or in cellar), but you will also be required to VENT the shower or could have poor end result!

Post this question over in the plumbing forum and we'll see what we can come up with...;)

Thank you...MARK
    Thank you so much for your answer.the manufacturer spec.. Did not say anything about setting the unit in a bedding.and I have in bathroom drain underground and adrain for washer machine (pip above the ground about 10'' )and what you mean about vent the shower?
    Thank you again for your help

This is the first time in my life thinking to do it myself

Asem

Mar 1, 2009, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzi1967 View Post
    thank you so much for your answer.the manufacturer spec.. did not say anything about setting the unit in a bedding.and i have in bathroom drain underground and adrain for washer machine (pip above the ground about 10'' )and what you mean about vent the shower?
    thank you again for your help

this is the first time in my life thinking to do it my self

asem
    I hope this will help
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 07:46 PM
    Hi Ozzie...

The VENT is very important here. Without a vent the shower drain could get siphoned dry when the washing machine drains and that could lead to sewer gasses entering into the home... very unhealthy!

You can use the washing machine vent pipe and the washing machine drain line if 2" drain pipe. Here, you would attach into the 2" washing machine drain pipe underground and just before installing the PTRAP you would take off a wye fitting and run an 1.5" pipe (minimum) up to about 48" off the finished floor and you would connect this pipe into the VENT PIPE for the washing machine drain line.

This can be a bit involved. Look up venting on this site using search or go to www.google.com and check out information on venting a shower.

Pop back here with any questions. We are glad to help if we can... :) Honestly, ask away as needed!

MARK

Mar 1, 2009, 10:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Ozzie...

The VENT is very important here. Without a vent the shower drain could get siphoned dry when the washing machine drains and that could lead to sewer gasses entering into the home....very unhealthy!!

You can use the washing machine vent pipe and the washing machine drain line if 2" drain pipe. Here, you would attach into the 2" washing machine drain pipe underground and just before installing the PTRAP you would take off a wye fitting and run an 1.5" pipe (minimum) up to about 48" off the finished floor and you would connect this pipe into the VENT PIPE for the washing machine drain line.

This can be a bit involved. Look up venting on this site using search or go to www.google.com and check out information on venting a shower.

Pop back here with any questions. We are glad to help if we can...:) Honestly, ask away as needed!

MARK
    Hi Mark
    Can you draw pic on how to run the pipe's that would be grateful

Thanks
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 2, 2009, 06:41 AM
    Hi Ozzie:

Here you go... let me know if you have questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

Mar 2, 2009, 09:05 AM

Hi Mark
    What I am thinking is raise up shower base about 8'' above the ground and then attach it to 2' pip washer machine drain +vent as you say all above the ground

Mark
    If I do that should I
    Set the shower unit in a bedding substrate such as plaster or structolite
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Hi Ozzi...

If you have the head room then there is no reason this can't be done above the floor. What kind of pipe material above ground? Cast iron or PVC??

The setting substrate is determined by manufacturer... some say OK, some say no and that it voids warranty as some substrates will crack certain materials... *UGH*! If the manufacturer is not clear on this then call them if possible... start with parts dept. if necessary, but get to technical department and ask them if you can set the unit in mortar, structolite, plaster, sand, etc...

For fun, here is a thread that I worked on awhile back now:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...om-252241.html

Mechanickid wanted to build above the floor... we talked about it and he decided to go below the floor (most of that discussion was deleted for some reason)...

Check it out... long post (over 100), but you will learn a lot about what you are doing.

Pop back as you need to... :)

MARK

Mar 3, 2009, 06:28 PM

I I want to use ABS PIPE

THANK YOU
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 06:30 PM
    ABS pipe is fine here. Keep me posted as you go!

Mar 12, 2009, 06:27 PM
    Hi Mark

Can I connect the drain to this adapter shows in pic this where dishwasher drain is

Thank youName:  photo.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  135.3 KB

Name:  1photo.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  141.6 KB
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2009, 06:53 AM
    Techincally, you aren't supposed to connect into a cleanout like you propose...

Let me know the answers to the following questions... OK?

How far away is the shower from here? What fixtures are connected to BOTH these pipes?

Once I know the answers I can tell you best option...

MARK

Mar 13, 2009, 07:53 AM

Around 2 feet and there are washer and pipe coming from kitchen sink down to to this pipe

Mar 13, 2009, 08:28 AM
    Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  59.0 KB
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2009, 08:30 AM
    In my area you can't connect a shower or tub onto a drain line from a kitchen sink that comes from above. Here, if the underground drain line blocked up, the kitchen sink could drain into the shower for days before anyone noticed a problem... that make sense..?

Hmmm... of course, you may not have a choice here.. right? Any other drains near here that you could connect into?

Let me know... and give me a day to consult with a couple other plumbers online here... see what they think or what code permits in their area.. ok?

Where are you from Ozzie?

MARK

Mar 13, 2009, 09:03 AM
    Double posted by mistake sorry

Mar 13, 2009, 09:18 AM

Canada ,alberta

Thank you mark
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Codes differ from state to state here in the USA... never mind from country to country! Are you having this inspected by anyone?

Either way, it can't hurt to call a local plumbing inspector and ask him about connecting a shower on the 1st floor to a kitchen sink drain line coming from the 2nd floor (or basement and 1st floor).

If you plan on selling the house down the road, doing this by code with a permit is always the best route!

Let me know...

Mar 13, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Yes there is another drain see pic and I am trying to do the job with your help so no one is coming to inspect afterName:  1photo.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  69.2 KB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fiberglass shower stall, new shower set [ 4 Answers ]

We just bought a new shower set for our bathroom but found out we have a problem. It's a fiberglass, 1-piece tub/shower and the hole where the valve comes out is too small to remove the old one. We have two bathrooms and the other tub/shower is back-to-back with the one we're trying to change. This...

Adding a second shower head to shower stall [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to add a second shower head to a shower stall in the basement. What do I need to do to make sure an equal supply of water at the same temperature runs to both heads. I tried to just run a line from the first shower head to the next but that doesn't work.

Narrow Shower Pan/Shower Stall [ 1 Answers ]

Where I can purchase a shower pan/stall approximately 30" wide by 60"? There isn't sufficient clearance adjacent to the toilet to us a 34" width which is available everywhere?

Shower stall need height of controls and shower head [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Am building a shower and require the height of the taps and the shower head

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

View more questions Search