Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SK4650 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2006, 11:38 PM
    Overseas filing
    If I am living overseas, what is the benefit of filing a NJ state income tax as a "non-resident"? Do I file a state tax return and get all the taxes deducted throughout the year back or can I claim exempt and not pay any state tax at all? Thanks for any help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 23, 2006, 04:17 PM
    I assume you are filing a NJ return because you worked there and had income taxes withheld.

If so, then you were NOT a non-resident, because you resided in the state while working.

Non-resident status are for people who live in neighboring states but work in NJ, or who have property or investments in NJ which generate income.
    SK4650 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 10:00 PM
    Thanks for the help. I am actually posted overseas and maintain no residence in the state of NJ. I have not been in the state for more than 30 days this past year, but I do have property in the state. When I did some research that indicated I qualify and can file a non-resident NJ tax return, do you know if I can claim exempt from having to pay state income tax each payperiod?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 24, 2006, 06:48 AM
    Generally, unless you plan to live overseas permanently, the state you left will consider you a resident of their state until you establish residency in another state. An overseas country does not count.

Bottom Line: You are considered a NJ state resident while you are posted overseas unless you become a resident of the foreign country, which is done by paying that country's taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living overseas and not working [ 2 Answers ]

So I lived in the UK from Dec 2001 till March of this year. I know I filed taxes for the tax year of the year I moved. But since then I have not worked, and there for not filed taxes, as my accountant mother instructed me to do. Now I have married a Brit and we are in the process of applying for...

Filing taxes overseas [ 1 Answers ]

At the end of my OPT (this May) I will be moving back home to Austria. I guess I have to file my taxes next year as well, since I had an income this year. How do I do this from Europe? Is there anything else I need to consider when leaving the country in respect to the IRS?

Appliances for overseas [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to buy an Electrical Range (Oven) and an Electrical Dryer to send them over to Romania. In the Range book, it said single phase 120V/240V. Over there, there is 220V. Can I install them? What do I need to do to make them work? As I understand, here the appliances have two hot wires...

Overseas Employee [ 4 Answers ]

I am working overseas as an employee not contractor. We get paid and they take out taxes. The question is how many exemptions should one take? Do you try to max it out or just use min say 2? If anyone knows of web pages where I can read about this and more please advise. Have a good one. Thanks for...

Cell phone overseas [ 1 Answers ]

I travel to China every few weeks. I am getting killed on Roaming. Its like 2.60 per incomming and outgoing call! There must be some way to get around this. Any ideas?

View more questions Search