Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Feb 28, 2009, 07:56 PM
    Political Correctness
    I think it is unfortunate that excessive political correctness is killing comedy and satire. Free speech is in the constitution, yet you can't make jokes that have even the slightest chance of offending some group somewhere. I think that people need to lighten up and not be offended so easily. Ethnic stereotypes and risqué jokes are a part of comedy and things would be pretty boring without them. Even tame humor by great comedians such as Benny Hill and Ray Stevens, (Ahab the Arab, The Streak, It's me again Margaret), probably would be considered offensive by today's standards. Even old Bugs Bunny cartoons are considered offensive! I hope that this correctness phase will pass and we will be able to enjoy some good comedy again.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2009, 05:10 PM
    That's hilarious! And, I'm offended... :D
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 06:23 PM

Yup! I agree...
    But, my laywer says I'm offended, too!

Hey! I know!

Let's abolish a word!

Hmmm... how about a word like "deficit"

Cool! And later, we'll rewrite the Constitution to suit our own needs...
    Now, that's stimulating!
    darkvision Posts: 232, Reputation: 15

Mar 3, 2009, 09:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich View Post
    Yup! I agree...
    But, my laywer says I'm offended, too!!

Hey! I know!!

Let's abolish a word!

Hmmm...how about a word like "deficit"

Cool! And later, we'll rewrite the Constitution to suit our own needs.....
    Now, that's stimulating!!
    My lawyer will be talking to your lawyer, for inappropriate use of words and ideas. We have already rewritten the constitution and in it it clearly states that you can't rewrite it and to mention constitution or anything related to it that you are punishable by law divorce and toothpics. Good day sir.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Black Hole of political correctness [ 24 Answers ]

Have you heard the one about the Dallas mayor daring to use the term "black hole?" See the rest of the column here. Call me nostalgic, but I think it would be sweet for the next similar PC victim to refuse to apologize when they've done nothing wrong. I'd give them a standing-O. Aside...

What are your thoughts on political correctness? [ 32 Answers ]

Charlton Heston passed away this week, I found this speech that he gave to a Harvard graduating class a few years ago. His thoughts are pungent, do you agree with him? By: Charlton Heston Article Font Size The following is a speech NRA President Charlton Heston gave to the Harvard Law...

Political correctness. [ 39 Answers ]

Sometimes I really wonder about our society and Political correctness gone mad. Yesterday in Sydney , Australia one of the major shopping centres were conducting interviews for this years hoard of Santa Claus's. One of the rules for this year is Santa is not allowed to say" Ho Ho Ho" for fear it...

Is political correctness what it used to be? [ 5 Answers ]

Have we outgrown political correctness, or is it still with us? I get confusing readings from the media on this one. I remember that once upon a time, political correctness was being promoted because many people believe that removing hate speech from public dialogues woud keep the hate from...

Political correctness [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am curious as to why in this day and age when every word uttered publicly must be politically correct, (e.g. mailperson as opposed to mailman, and firefighter vis-à-vis fireman) first year college students are still called freshmen, as opposed to freshstudents, or freshpeople. Mark

View more questions Search