Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suuzz Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Feb 28, 2009, 03:46 PM
    Leaking pipe under sink
    Hi,

My dad replaced the taps on the small hand basin in the downstairs loo.
    I had to buy small 'extenders' for the pipes so that he could fit the taps, as the
    Original taps had a longer trunk. Anyway, they look very nice, but I noticed this evening
    That there are drips coming out of the extenders, onto the floor. I don't think I can
    Put my dad through trying to sort it out as he's getting on a bit, and I could hear him
    Huffing and puffing the first and the second time of trying. My question is - rather than
    Trying to take it all off and put a better washer on, is there some sort of seleant from a
    Tube I could use? If I turned the water off at the mains untilo the pipes are dry, and then seal it?

Suuzz
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 03:51 PM

Any chance of a picture? Are these extenders made of metal tubing with maybe compression fittings? If so, just get 2 wrenches on the compression fitting and tighten. When I repair a leaker I then wrap it with toilet paper, total dead give away if the leak is still there.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 04:37 PM

Yep, a picture of the leaking area would help us help you.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 04:51 PM

... and if it is plastic extender, than you can try to tighten it up 1/4" by hand...
    suuzz Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Mar 1, 2009, 03:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    ....and if it is plastic extender, than you can try to tighten it up 1/4" by hand...
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for replying. It is a brass extender. If I find my camera I'll take a pic. I guess I was trying to avoid asking my dad to start fiddling with it again, and I don't have the correct tools to attempt it myself.

I look for my camera.

X
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 02:42 PM

We will be here when you find it. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking pipe, again [ 9 Answers ]

My mains water is supplied via a lead pipe, which has now decided to spring a leak. How can I fix this? Help please, as it is driving me nuts.

Can't get bathroom pedestal sink to stop leaking from tail pipe [ 4 Answers ]

We have a pedestal sink and a week ago the pipe that goes into the wall fell apart. It had rusted through. I got the replacement parts (all metal parts) at the hardware store. The pipe that goes into the wall screws into the pipe and has a plastic washer. It sealed tight - no problem. Then the...

J pipe leaking [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I just put on a new J pipe on my bathroom sink and it is leaking! How do I get it to stop from leaking from the bottom where it tightens? Email me at [email protected]. HELP! I can't afford a plumber!

Kitchen sink sprayer leaking from under sink [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen sink sprayer is leaking from underneath my sink. We just replaced the spray head part. Could it be the hose or what else could it be? Thank you!

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search