Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momma mary Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Faucet still runs when shower is turned on.
    I have a three handle faucet. I replaced the washer on the end of the stem, but that wasn't the problem. What could it be?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2006, 12:31 PM
    Hi Mary,

You have a bad seat,(see image) this is the part the washer rests on to stop the flow. If it's nicked or rough the washer won't seat correctly. I put up a exploded view of a tub faucet so you can see exactly where the seat is.( the dotted lines off the washers point to them. You will need a seat wrench to remove and install the seat that's bad. If you can't tell by the temperature of the water leaking out simply remove the stem and washer assembly and run your fingernail around the seat. Replace any that are nicked or rough.
    Good luck, Tom
    momma mary Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 10:24 AM
    Thank you, but I found the problem- I was missing a washer between the stem and the 'body'. Similar to what someone else reported elsewhere here about buying an assembly with a missing O-ring. (Maybe why this happened- the guy at the hardware store gave me the washer out of a packaged assembly, and then put it back on the display! I didn't say anything because I was being given the washer for free---)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking shower faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I have a leaking shower faucet and tried to take faucet apart to change the o-ring but was not able to takeout more than a cover for the screw and the screw that was under it. I have not located the ORING CAN any one please help. I have a symmons Temptrol brand.:confused: You need to replace...

Drip when bathroom faucet is turned on [ 3 Answers ]

I have a problem that has me confused. When I turn on the hot water handle on my bathroom sink faucet I hear a dripping sound. I have investigate the hose from the faucet to the valve and found no moisture. I have also checked the valve up to the wall and see no moisture. No wetness on the...

Shower faucet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, When I turn on the shower the water still runs out of faucet.

Shower faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I had a plumber out to replace the cartridge in my shower faucet because the shower head was dripping It has stopped leaking but now I don't have much hot water coming out. Is this something I can fix myself?

No water unless faucet slowly turned. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. We have a fauced that when turned normally does not have any water flowing out. There is a bang when this is done too. If the faucet is turned slowly, water will come out. Thanks!

View more questions Search