Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ejgarcia111 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 11:09 PM
    Can't get paper up from old vinyl floor. Laying ceramic tile on kitchen floor
    I looked for a similar question on this site before asking and all I could find is a question about ripping up vinyl flooring to lay hard wood flooring down... So I will ask my question, I just got done ripping up the vinyl from my kitchen floor and plan to lay ceramic tile down tomorrow, I too have the same problem as the person wanting to lay the hard floor. I can't get all that paper that is glued to the plywood up. Do I really have to get all that up, I'm thinking I shouldn't have to since I will be laying down cement board before I tile. I read NOT to sand the paper off, and I checked into the adhesive remover, that can work, but it seems to be very expensive. Thanks for you're answers
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 10:17 AM

So you plan to install Wonderboard as a subfloor before tiling, right? You can forget the paper, screw and glue the wonderboard down using a modified thinset mortar, same for your tiles.

Feb 28, 2009, 12:27 PM

Yeah that was my plan, just needed to make sure it was a good way to go. Thanks
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 28, 2009, 12:27 PM
    Hi Garcia,

I definitely agree there is no need to remove all the backing, just hope it is flat. If the flooring is real old, the backing might contain asbestos, so if it is, do not scrape or sand. Definitely no chemicals.

However... when vinyl is installed on a plywood subfloor, the flooring company almost always also installs a 1/4" underlayment. If this is the case, you need to also remove it. NO 1/4" ply should be in a tile installation. You need to get down to the subfloor.

Be sure to re-fasten the subfloor, then install your favorite CBU with thinset per directions. Don't forget the mesh tape etc. Did you consult a span chart to make sure your joists are stiff enough for tile? How thick and how many layer of subfloor sheets do you have? How does the floor feel? What type and size tiles are you going to install?

Jaz

Feb 28, 2009, 06:38 PM

Yeah there seems to be 2 layers of plywood, so your saying I should remove the top layer with all the paper and glue still on it?

I did not consult a span chart, where would I do that?

As far as the subfloor, it seems that the two are probably 1/2" each, not sure though. The floor feels good, our neighbors tiled their floor not too long ago and our houses are practically the same. So I don't have any fears about putting tile on the floor.

We have 12x12 ceramic tile with a 1/4" hardiboard underneath. We were going to install it today, but my helper ran into some issues and we now have to wait until tomorrow.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 28, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Are you saying the subfloor system is 2 layers, and then you have some 1/4" on top of that to which the vinyl was glued to? Is the top sheet 1/4" or what? How old is the house? Where is it?

Probably 1/2" thick is not a good enough answer.

I can check my span chart if you'll provide the numbers I mentioned before. It is free today!:D

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall tile and vinyl floor [ 3 Answers ]

I'm putting ceramic tile on one wall in the bathroom and vinyl floor down.what do we do when the tile meets the vinyl

Laying ceramic tile over exsisting concrete floor [ 4 Answers ]

I have an exsisting bathroom floor drain in a shower area, it has the slope and ready to go for tile only. Is there any type of waterproof membrane available without using a mudset underlay. I don't want to have to build up the exsisting drain, I'm not sure that the exsisting is treaded to add to...

What to install UNDER ceramic floor tile [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I've read about 100 different theories on what (if anything) you are supposed to put under ceramic floor tile (i.e. cement board, underlayment, etc.). We need to install our tile in the basement (which is currently just a concrete floor). If it matters, there are only a couple of VERY small...

Laying tile in upstairs bathroom and ground floor kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

I am planning to lay 12 x 12 ceramic tile in my master bathroom on the second floor and most likely I will be laying it over the existing solid sheet, non-padded vinyl flooring which is in good condition. And I will also be laying over the same vinyl flooring in my ground floor kitchen. Can...

Ceramic Tile Around Floor Drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement and i am putting ceramic tile on the floor in the bathroom, well home depot is installing it. Anyway, there is a floor drain with an ugly plastic cover and home depot people told me that i would have to supply the raised floor drain cover for them to put over the...

View more questions Search