Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortyonwheelz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 06:44 PM
    How do I get a 4 week puppy to poop
    I got a new puppy. Its still a little young to have left its mother and now it won't poop I really need help like now because it is blowted... :confused:
    lmgcutie Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 06:50 PM

Maybe you need to Bring it to the vet or you can feed it some sort of vitamins that will help it to poo. (you might be able to find that at a pet shop ) or maybe don't make it eat much any more or it will make the situation worse.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2009, 06:57 PM

Try wiping its fanny with a washcloth or towel soaked with warm water. Mothers lick the baby's bottom in order to get it to go. You need to simulate this.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 07:31 PM

Did the mother die? This puppy is really way to young to be taken from it's mom. Most puppy's stay with the dam until at least 8 weeks of age, in fact, in many places it's illegal to sell a puppy until 8 weeks.

Where did you get this puppy?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 27, 2009, 10:56 PM

I am also quite curious to know how you acquired this little pup at the age of 4 weeks or sooner? He shouldn't even be away from his mother yet. There are developmental reasons he needs to be with his mother until at least 8 weeks of age. He needed nourishment from his mother!

What is it that you are feeding him? How are you feeding him? Are you feeding him just regular puppy food? At this age he should have a very specific formula, under the supervision and advice of a qualified veteranarian.

You NEED to take him to the vet ASAP!. as in YESTERDAY!
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Feb 28, 2009, 09:42 AM

I agree with the above advice that the pup should still be with its mom--I assume it is orphaned--and it needs to see the vet. If there is going to be any delay, I have had some success with running a sink of very warm(not hot) water and immersing the pup's rear in it. Sometimes the warmth relaxes the muscles and allows you to stimulate defecation with better results. Be sure to dry puppy off immediately to avoid chilling!

Feb 28, 2009, 11:53 AM

yayyyy i got the pup to poop finally. her mother was being sold by the owner and because they promised us the puppy gave her to us early. she went poop today. thank you all. i was really scared for a while.
    Pets Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyonwheelz View Post
    yayyyy i got the pup to poop finally. her mother was being sold by the owner and because they promised us the puppy gave her to us early. she went poop today. thank you all. i was really scared for a while.
    She's not out of danger yet, she's still way to young to be away from her mother.

The owner of the dam needs to be reported, needs to be fined, needs to be stopped from breeding.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 28, 2009, 12:51 PM

If the puppy can't even poop on its own yet then I don't know why anyone would assume it could leave its mother! That puppy should have been with her at least twice as long! An orphaned puppy is one thing, but one taken at that age is an outrage! Your "friend" the "breeder" obviously does not care about the dogs at all or else she would not have even considered selling a dog who still was nursing, or giving away a puppy at that age. No reputable breeder would sell or give a puppy away any sooner then 8 weeks.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 28, 2009, 12:53 PM
    Yes, the person that you bought this puppy from NEEDS to be reported immediately! This is a case of animal cruelty, and abuse! This needs to happen before this person decides to do anymore irresponsible breeding! These are not stuffed animals for God sakes! :mad:

Just because your dog pooped, does not mean that she doesn't have other health issues. You NEED to get her to the VET! Has she had any of her shots yet? Of course she hasn't! Has she had a full check-up yet? Of course she hasn't. Again... what are you feeding her? She needs to be on a very specific diet. Puppies at 4 weeks of age should not be taken from their mother, and you should have known that. What are you going to do when the puppy gets older and starts developing other health problems, because she was taken from her mother much too early?

If you love this puppy, and are worried about her, then you will do what is best for her, and get her to the vet!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 01:00 PM
    i got a new puppy. its still a little young to have left its mother and now it wont poop i really need help like now because it is blowted... :confused:
    Were there other puppies in the litter? And that poor mom dog, having her new family taken away from her!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 28, 2009, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxkit View Post
    If the puppy can't even poop on its own yet then I don't know why anyone would assume it could leave its mother! That puppy should have been with her at least twice as long! An orphaned puppy is one thing, but one taken at that age is an outrage! Your "friend" the "breeder" obviously does not care about the dogs at all or else she would not have even considered selling a dog who still was nursing, or giving away a puppy at that age. No reputable breeder would sell or give a puppy away any sooner then 8 weeks.
    It's very apparent that this was no reputable or licensed breeder. In fact, I wouldn't doubt if this is a puppymill, or at the very least, an extremely incompetent, knowledgeless, and abusive backyard breeder! These are the only two options here as far as I can see!

Feb 28, 2009, 03:48 PM

It's very apparent that this was no reputable or licensed breeder. In fact, I wouldn't doubt if this is a puppymill, or at the very least, an extremely incompetent, knowledgeless, and abusive backyard breeder! These are the only two options here as far as I can see!
    Exactly! Abuse isn't a black and white thing. It's not just whether they beat the dog or not. Breeding a dog that is too young is abuse. Breeding a dog every cycle is abuse. Removing puppies from a mother at that age is not only physical abuse to the puppies, but mental abuse to the mother. Not only taking her puppies, but then heartlessly selling her to probably another cruel breeder or puppy mill because no person with a grain of heart or intelligence would buy a mother who was nursing a litter that young. She's probably so stressed and scared, the poor soul. I doubt anyone has ever shown her love.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 01:38 PM

hello shorty! I hope you understand that all of us simply want what's best for your puppy. We want it to have the best chance in life, and to be as happy, healthy and well as possible.

I don't know if you realize why so many people are upset by the choices described on the part of the previous owners of the puppy's mother. It really isn't a matter of preference or opinion on the part of the breeders. Because they do not take the proper steps to get informed, so many people take their puppies away from their mothers too early. I'm afraid that the people who bred your puppy knew what they were doing was wrong, but they just didn't care, which would be even worse. Reputable breeders do not let their puppies leave their mothers until they are at least 8 weeks old, and with certain breeds, it should be even closer to 12 weeks. Do you know the breed or breed mix of your puppy?

although a puppy may be able to eat puppy food in mush form anywhere from 4-6 weeks old, the next several weeks (at least until its 8 weeks old) are vitally important to a puppy’s growing brain, bones and overall body, to its immune system (puppies are protected from dangerous diseases through their mother's milk), and to their emotional development. Dogs that are taken from their mothers too early frequently develop behavioral problems that are near impossible (or actually impossible) to resolve in the same way as puppies that have been able to learn what is really needed from their mother and littermates. The reality is that humans can't teach puppies certain things in the same way. Included in this is the process of learning bite inhibition (you should be teaching this to him anyway, but now it will be even more important that you do so; it cannot be put off until later in life because it becomes virtually burned into their minds when they are little), as well natural housebreaking, and how they need to act around other dogs. Also, do not forget that week 7 is a natural fear period, so you will need to be especially protective of your puppy at that time. Studies show that puppies who encounter certain fearful stimulants at that time can acquire phobias or fears that can follow them their whole lives. There is just so much to know in caring for your pup at this influential age.

honestly, every other puppy in this litter (if there are other puppies) should 100% be with their mother right now. The idea that the people responsible for the birth of these puppies did not follow through in the absolute minimum of their actual responsibilities by at least allowing the puppies the time they truly needed with their mother is appalling. Even if they were going to give away the mother (which is another bad idea altogether), 4 more weeks in their lives cannot be compared to the value of those 4 more weeks in her puppies' lives. What country or state do you live in? The reason I ask is, as has been stated, it is very often illegal -- yes, illegal -- to sell or give away any puppies before they reach 8 weeks of age. Do you know why it's illegal? It's because those weeks are so incredibly important to the puppies that knowingly separating them from their mother is considered cruel or inhumane because of the amount and types of problems premature separation can cause.

I know you posted that your puppy was able to relieve itself, but I'm curious to know if the bloating or constipation has continued. One factor could be stress, which would be expected in this case. Also, with puppies and bloating, you should be watching out for worms. Have you been in touch with your vet? Especially because this puppy is so young, you should be strictly following their advice in diet and overall care. Another thought instantly crossed my mind when I read your question. Have you by any chance been giving your puppy any regular milk or cream? Cow's milk can easily cause digestive problems, bloating, constipation or diarrhea, and discomfort in dogs. If you haven't been feeding him milk, what has he been eating?

lastly, I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your age with us here. We really do want to help both you and your puppy. The more information we have, the more helpful and accurate we can be.

please, for your puppy's sake, invest in at least one or two books on puppy training and care as soon as possible. There are so many things that are so important for you to know right now for you and your puppy's long-term well being that would be impossible to cover through other methods. I really hope you come back to answer the questions that have been posted in this thread. Best wishes.

Mar 3, 2009, 06:29 PM

Hay I agree with you people. I say it should have stayed too but the choices where we take it or it went to the pound. They got rid of all there dogs the day after. The mother was going to a home and seeing we already had paid for the pup we had to take her. We took her to the vet yesterday and he said now she is healthy just keep doing what we are doing and if any signs of trouble we can call him even at home.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 3, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Hay I agree with you people. I say it should have stayed too but the choices where we take it or it went to the pound. they got rid of all there dogs the day after. the mother was going to a home and seeing we already had paid for the pup we had to take her. We took her to the vet yesterday and he said now she is healthy just keep doing what we are doing and if any signs of trouble we can call him even at home.
    Understand Shorty, these are the details we need. We really want to give our help, but when we don't have details, we really can't give the best advice. Every situation is different, and we didn't know how this pup ended up in your hands. We sometimes wish we could read minds, and understand the story behind it, but obviously we can't. The problem is, is that we get so many questions here everyday, and we need a lot of info sometimes in order to point you in the right direction.

I'm glad that she was taken to the vet, and she is doing well. :)

Mar 3, 2009, 06:37 PM

Hay I agree with you people. I say it should have stayed too but the choices where we take it or it went to the pound. They got rid of all there dogs the day after. The mother was going to a home and seeing we already had paid for the pup we had to take her. We took her to the vet yesterday and he said now she is healthy just keep doing what we are doing and if any signs of trouble we can call him even at home.
    I'm glad to hear that the puppy is doing okay. What that "breeder" did makes me sick! They will eventually have to pay for their actions whether it be today or when they die and go to a very hot place.

Mar 3, 2009, 06:44 PM

Sorry everyone if my question upset you all but I just needed an answer that day. :( sorry.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Sorry everyone if my question upset you all but I just needed an answer that day. :( sorry.
    But he's still only 4 weeks old and will have tons of new problems as he grows up.
    Pets Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 07:06 PM
    We're not upset with you, we're upset with the so called "breeder" who did this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 4 week old puppy's poop [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, we just recently got a 4 week old baby girl pit bull from a breedier, when we first got her, poop was semi solid, and she always would let us know when she has to go potty. But her poop is very wet and green its been like that for a few days now, she still lets us know but she can't hold it...

Puppy won't poop outside [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a six month old miniature pinscher. I have read that they are stubborn to housebreak. When I take him outside all he does is sniff around and eat bugs but will eventually pee. When he comes in, he sometimes poops within 5-10 min. I have even cought him squating and picked him up...

Puppy poop [ 1 Answers ]

I have a seven week old shih tzu and I want to make her training as simple for her as possible. She is OK during the day when it comes to peeing, our problem is that she is only pooping once a day and when we put her in her crate for the night she goes once more. She does not give us any indication...

Puppy poop [ 7 Answers ]

Does your dog or puppy's poop turn green (dark green) when they have eaten grass? Mine has eaten a lot of grass in the garden the last 2 days, and today her brown poop was half green.:confused: :D

Help! My poop puppy [ 9 Answers ]

I just recently adopted my dog a German Shep. X. from the local humane society and for the first four days she was great. So much energy. Now she won't eat a thing and keeps throwing up early in the morning. She is still pretty playful but you can see that she is tired. I brought her the vet and at...

View more questions Search