Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2009, 01:19 PM
    How do I get my cats to stop chewing on everything
    I have two cats both males, both neutered, both have their claws They are two years old. They chew on wires (apple bitters works OK on the wires but must be reapplied frequently) to clothing to blankets to ANYTHING. Obviously this is dangerous. When I actually catch them chewing on something I have sprayed water at them. They don't budge they look at me like what are you doing idiot! I tried putting change in a can and shaking it when I shake the can they come towards it like it is a toy. Nothing phases them. I don't know what else to do.

I play with them from the time I get home until they take a nap they wake up I play with them until I go to sleep. So I can't imagine they are bored. In the day when we are not there they have cat furniture to climb on toys galore to play with windows to look out of and they have each other. So I guess I have two questions 1. how do I discipline them? And two how can I stop them chewing on everything? I thought they had problems with their teeth but the vet their teeth are fine.

I don't know if this matters or if it is true since I adopted both of them from the shelter but the vet said my smaller guy is part Egyptian Mau?? And from what I read on the internet he has features of a Mau spots and this long flap of skin under neath of him and he is fast I mean real fast the other cat has no chance keeping up with him when he runs. Any advice is appreciated!!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2009, 01:58 PM

I've never had cats, only dogs, and so I have what is very possibly a non-answer BUT I had a yellow Lab who chewed on every cord he got his little teeth around until he was 2. I lived with everything unplugged so he didn't shock himself or burn the house down and then one day he just lost interest. I tried bitter apple, hot sauce, just about everything. I begged and pleaded and reasoned and threatened. Nothing.

His all time best was chewing up the charging cords for the video cam. I had the part that plugs into the video camera, the part that plugs into the wall - and nothing in between. It's got to be 15 years ago and if my full hearing ever comes back I'll post what I THINK my ex-husband said. Things were a little dicey for a while. The screaming had no effect on the dog but my heart certainly stopped for a beat or two.

I guess they grow out of it - although my best friend had a Siamese that ate wool until the day the cat died. Very annoying when I would stay at her house and wake up with holes chewed in my sweater. Very annoying indeed.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2009, 02:04 PM

My wife knows your pain with sweaters!! Yes I live with everything unplugged ever since the little guy decided to chew on my phone charger while it was CHARGING he was a little shocked by the results!! I rewired my entire surround system went to the kitchen to get the bitter apple phone rang talk for 5 minutes hung up they already chewed one of the speakers wires in half.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older cats ganging up on newer cats [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have two 14 year old cats, I recently introduced two 4 year old sisters. We attempted to "introduce" them correctly. Over the last week or so, one of the older cats stalks and corners either of the younger cats with the other older cat joining in for good measure. The noise is terrifying....

How do I get my puppy to stop destroying my stuff? (chewing!) [ 2 Answers ]

How can I get my puppy to stop chewing up everything? He's already ruined 2 pairs of shoes, a pillow, and he even chewed on a candle I had out. I'm no Dog Whisperer. The only thing I've tried is just yelling "No!" and trying to keep things in my closet and out of harm's way.

Is chewing gum bad for you? [ 10 Answers ]

Is chewing gum bad for you? If so, In what ways? I know it can make you gasy but that's about it. I chew gum A lot Well not A lot but if you think about it people chew it a lot. I don't know why, its just chew chew chew chew chew and people love it. Haha

Cats chewing on houseplants [ 2 Answers ]

What can I do to keep my cat from chewing on real and artificial houseplants?

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

View more questions Search