Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gunnerron Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 06:43 PM
    Metering Device
    My problem is the metering device seems to be stuck whereas the freon will not go through the system in heat or cool. My gauges read equal pressures on both the high side and the low side, and everything is running. It is a water cooled condenser and the water lines has been cleaned. I thought it was the solenoid coil on the reversing valve, so I changed that, but to no avail. It is a Trane heat pump.

How do you unstick a TEV valve so the refrigerant can flow through the system?

I heard you can tap on the valve itself, put it in ice, or put heat to it. It is a hassle to change the TEV so I'm just trying to unstick this thing.

Earlier when I first started the unit it was working for a minute, then it stopped taking freon.

Any answers?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 08:11 PM

Equal pressures on both high and low side usually means the compressor is not running, check the compressor's amp draw, no amp draw means it is not running. The only time I remember having equal pressures and the compressor (residential) running was due to the slide in the reversing valve turning over and blocking all ports, but when this happened it would blow off the internal relief in the compressor and in a Trane compressor it relieves on to a temperature sensor in the windings, when this happens it will take hours for this sensor to reset.If it goes off on internal relief you will hear it. Good luck, Mike
    gunnerron Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by acetc View Post
    Equal pressures on both high and low side usually means the compressor is not running, check the compressor's amp draw, no amp draw means it is not running. The only time i remember having equal pressures and the compressor (residential) running was due to the slide in the reversing valve turning over and blocking all ports, but when this happened it would blow off the internal relief in the compressor and in a Trane compressor it relieves on to a temperature sensor in the windings, when this happens it will take hours for this sensor to reset.If it goes off on internal relief you will hear it. Good luck, Mike
    There is amp draw and the contactor kicks in the motor starts, but the freon does not want to go through the system. I started the unit up this morning, pressures were different on both sides, and while I was watching my pressures to see if it needed more freon or an overcharge, the pressures equalized on both sides but the compressor was still running. I hate heat pumps period, but its' my job to fix them. I just need an answer as to how to unstick a locked up TEV.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 08:46 PM

A thermostatic expansion valve will not cause "equal pressures" if it fails, normally a txv will fail to the closed position due to the power head failing. Check to be sure you are putting your gauges on the correct ports on the unit, usually there is a third port to connect the low side gauge to while in the heating mode, Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nidon d40 metering image [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get rid of the metering image on top of my photo on my camera?2

Metering a well pump [ 12 Answers ]

Hi all, My brother lives in a housing complex consisting of 5 attached houses that share a huge, common backyard. Several years ago, they chipped in and hired someone to put a sprinkler system in the yard. The guy drilled a well to provide the water, and the pump was connected to the subpanel in...

USB Device [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Western Digital external 160 gig Hd drive connected to my PC through a USB2 port. I'm running WinXP Home. For over a year the drive's been working fine. Recently for some unknown reason, the drive no longer appears in Windows under MY COMPUTER nor it is listed in the Windows Explorer so I...

View more questions Search