Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brownbunny32 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 06:36 PM
    Tipping friend who move you
    I am moving into a 2 bedroom apt. and I have 5 male friends coming to help me. One of the guys is my boyfriend of three months, the next is my best male friend from childhood, the third is his best friend, then there is a friend I met 3 years ago through work, the last is my Godfather’s frat brother. Everything that is being moved is in boxes and not very heavy (all of my furniture is disassembled and still in the Target boxes) except for 3 items. Is it acceptable to provide cold drinks and lunch? Also how much do I tip/pay them for helping me?
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Feb 26, 2009, 07:10 PM

Hey, what's up.

I'm sure the bottom line for these guys is that they are glad to help you out. I think that it would only be right for you to provide lunch, etc. because if you have to pay for movers, you'd be paying a whole lot more.

I think that it is not only acceptable, but the right thing to do since they are helping you out.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:44 PM

Hi, brownbunny32!

I agree that your friends will be more than likely willing to do this out of friendship to help you out and won't expect to be paid. Cold drinks and lunch sounds fine to me!

If you're feeling a little guilty about not paying them something, then you could ask each of them individually, if you could give them something monetarily for helping you out.

You could just say "May I give you some money for helping me?"

Thanks!
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 02:48 PM
    I agree, cold drinks and lunch is a very nice way to thank them.

No doubt a close group of friends are going to be moving each other over the years, many times.

Feb 27, 2009, 11:53 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I will keep you up on the outcome.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 12:07 PM
    I agree with everyone that lunch/drinks would be an appropriate thank you. But I also want to add that the best thing you can do is repay the favor whenever the time comes that they may need your help.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 12:16 PM

I'd get them a crate of beer/wine/whiskey as well.
    W had a friend help us move a sofa and we gave him some beer, pizza and petrol money. It was nothing compared to how much we would have paid to hire a van/ movers.

Mar 31, 2009, 05:39 PM

I feed them all and gave them drinks. I did also try to offer money but it was declined by all. Thank you all for your advice.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2009, 01:16 PM

Beer and pizza would be great. I can't tell you how many friends I've helped move and none have ever paid me. I did pay two friends who moved all my heavy furniture from a second floor apartment $100 each about 20 years ago... we were all young and single, I'm a woman and they were buff guys who were glad to help, but also glad to have some money to go out on. I had beer and pizza, too, for all of us. In that instance, just because it really was more than friends should be asked to do, I paid them. But if it was just some boxes and stuff, and you have enough people to help, I'd say feed them food, pop and beer, and later, help them move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend must move out of my home [ 4 Answers ]

Im stuck asking my friend to move out. We live in California, and I'm aware there are special laws pertaining only to California... I have asked him politely to move but he won't. It is my home, and we have no written agreement for rent. What to do to get him to move out? Any help appreciated:(

If I ask her friend whether I should move on or hold out is that OK? [ 3 Answers ]

If I ask her friend whether I should move on or hold out is that OK? Basically for those who do not know my story: (I am 25, she 23) about 3.5 weeks ago my girlfriend of nearly 4 years said she was 'confused' about how she felt and needed some time to figure it out. This came out of the blue - she...

Tipping on take out food? [ 11 Answers ]

Sometimes I have a meal in a restaurant and have a take out order for my son. I have only been paying a tip on my meal and drink... should I be tipping on the take out too? I do not think so, as there is no service involved, ex: refillling drink, bringing condiments, etc. Also I was told that...

New Hairdresser and tipping [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to a new hairdresser today because my friend who used to do my hair has moved out of state. What should I tip my new girl? Do I take a certain percentage of the bill?

Tipping [ 6 Answers ]

Should I tip the guy installing carpet at my house. If so, how much? He doesn't own the business, he's the installer for the company from which I purchased the carpet.

View more questions Search