Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajzueell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 05:58 PM
    My child father doesn't have to pay child support due to being disabled can
    Can I get SSI for my child if the father don't have to pay child support due to being disabled? What all proof do I need to show when applying? How long does everything take?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 06:07 PM

The father should have applied for this benefit on behalf of the child when he was awarded SSD. Supplemental Security Income
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Mar 22, 2009, 03:41 PM
    This will depend
    Does the child's father get SSI or SSDI?

If he gets SSI(checks come on the 1st) than Children are not entitled to benefits
    They can get Social Services benefits though in some cases

If he gets SSDI(his check will likely come on the 3rd) Than Yes your minor child by that man is entitled to benefits.
    You take the child's social security card and birth certificate and go to Social Security they will tell you what if any other info is needed and help you fill out the paper than tell you how much the child will get. Be aware that while you are the payee they have been known to come back and ask how the money is being spent for the child. Since in rights it is for the child.
    It usually only takes a short time I think I had mine within 2 months
    momoftriplea Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jan 15, 2011, 12:08 PM
    I am disabled and I have to pay child support out of my check as well as my ex getting a SSD check for her so don't think just because he is disabled he can't pay child support.
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2011, 02:30 PM

This thread is 2 years old. If there is a Court Order in a certain amount the non-custodial parent IS ORDERED to pay that amount until he/she applies for a reduction. SSD is factored into the support but does not negate the non-custodial parent's obligation.
    bilbo54 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 12:18 PM
    I am disabled, and have been for 2 years, I give my X the same amount of child support is this legal?
    bilbo54 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 12:23 PM
    Comment on bilbo54's post
    Can I get them Health INS?
    Cristis0 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 11:42 AM
    All I can tell you is that my sons father has applied for ssd. It is not known yet if he will get ssi or ssdi. My problem is, he has been denied 4 times and is now going into the appeal process. I did not have an order prior to all of this. I was told by ss that he can continue to apply, be denied, forever, in turn, stay exempt from having to pay child support. He is in MD and I am in PA. This is another story, however the sad thing is, I lived with this man and I know he has a lot of money. I can't prove it and if he gets ssdi it does not matter. It is ssi that is a program based on need. My son is 10. I posted a similar question in 2010. All I was told was to get a lawyer. I can't afford a lawyer. I hope this helps you a little
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2011, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristis0 View Post
    All I can tell you is that my sons father has applied for ssd. It is not known yet if he will get ssi or ssdi. My problem is, he has been denied 4 times and is now going into the appeal process. I did not have an order prior to all of this. I was told by ss that he can continue to apply, be denied, forever, in turn, stay exempt from haveing to pay child support. He is in MD and I am in PA. This is another story, however the sad thing is, I lived with this man and I know he has a lot of money. I can't prove it and if he gets ssdi it does not matter. It is ssi that is a program based on need. My son is 10. I posted a similiar question in 2010. All i was told was to get a lawyer. I can't afford a lawyer. I hope this helps you a little
    A. This thread is from 2009.
    B. You were not merely told to "get a lawyer." You were advised that because your ex has not been deemed disabled, there is no reason a support order should not be getting entered. Due to that, it was believed you were not properly filing the paperwork and were advised to get an attorney to ensure it is being handled the proper way.

Your situation is very different from the one in the original question. Please do not try to answer others questions with blanket statements such as "All I was told was to get a lawyer" when that is not what happened.
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2011, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristis0 View Post
    All I can tell you is that my sons father has applied for ssd. It is not known yet if he will get ssi or ssdi. My problem is, he has been denied 4 times and is now going into the appeal process. I did not have an order prior to all of this. I was told by ss that he can continue to apply, be denied, forever, in turn, stay exempt from haveing to pay child support. He is in MD and I am in PA. This is another story, however the sad thing is, I lived with this man and I know he has a lot of money. I can't prove it and if he gets ssdi it does not matter. It is ssi that is a program based on need. My son is 10. I posted a similiar question in 2010. All i was told was to get a lawyer. I can't afford a lawyer. I hope this helps you a little

I take offense to this. This is most definitely NOT "all" you were told when you asked a question. You were given some good advice. What you understood might be a different question.

Your statement is unfair to everyone who took the time and trouble to answer you.

This person's situation is very different from yours. You alleged a trust fund, hidden assets and family connections.

I'm not reading this here.
    Austria28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2012, 02:49 PM
    My sons father is trying to get ssi does that mean he won't have to pay child support anymore
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2012, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Austria28 View Post
    my sons father is trying to get ssi does that mean he wont have to pay child support anymore

No. I assume you posted here, at the end of this thread instead of opening your own question, because you read the thread.
    jcbolow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2013, 01:54 PM
    It does not matter if you have been paralyzed in a auto accident or being held captive by a foreign country you must pay child support it does not matter if the
    Custodial parent is a drug addict Dr approved or not you must pay child support
    No if's and's or but's
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2013, 02:33 PM
    Change that to "Court ordered child support" and I will agree with you.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

May 21, 2013, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo54 View Post
    I am disabled, and have been for 2 years, I give my X the same amount of child support is this legal?
    I commend you for paying something for your child. It's the right thing to do. God Bless Yes, I know this is 2 years old... we need to clean up these old questions!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for disabled adult [ 3 Answers ]

Ive never posted here, but here it goes.. I have a son with Down Syndrome and he will be turning 18 in April. He should qualify for SSI benefits once he has his 18th birthday. My question is.. does anyone know if my ex-husband is still legally responsible for child support? Although he is...

Child support for disabled adult son [ 1 Answers ]

Ive never posted here, but here it goes.. I have a son with Down Syndrome and he will be turning 18 in April. He should qualify for SSI benefits once he has his 18th birthday. My question is.. does anyone know if my ex-husband is still legally responsible for child support? Although he is...

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

Should my 21yr old disabled son get child support? [ 2 Answers ]

My 21yr old son is parapalegic. He is very unstable and unresponsible. He has the mantality of a 14 yr old. He did not graduate high school, his dropped out in 9th grade at age 16. He lived with me from 1998-2005. I never asked for any supprt from my ex-spouse. We have 3 children, I have the...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search