Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shmily Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 04:18 PM
    How to connect SAT/DVR unit to VCR/DVD recorder to record from DVR?
    I have a Dishnetwork SAT/DVR unit and just got a Magnavox DVD/VCR combo unit with both having recording capabilities. I want to put my DVR movies on to DVD. What do I need to connect where to make this all happen. I also have a DVD surround sound unit to add to this mixed up mess of electrical wiring nightmare. My TV has RCA & S VIDEO. My DVD is the same and my SAT box as well. SAT box has a USB port. Is using USB port a possibility for saving DVR movies as a option to view later?

Not so shmily at the moment
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 06:59 PM

The USB port on the satellite box is probably not useful. It would be sweet if you were able to save the movies digitally. If someone knows more about this, I'd like to know about it also as my cable company had one on the DVR.

Most cable/satellite (including TIVO) companies don't want you to be able to copy the digital data directly. You have to convert it to an analog form and then they don't seem to mind. This usually means reduced fidelity. It's possible that you could use the S-Video connection and that would probably be my preference.

I think you're going to have to connect using the RCA video jack (I'm guessing there's only one) and a pair of audio jacks (left and right channels). The DVD/VCR box should have a set of inputs and a set of outputs.

You didn't mention anything about Y Pb Pr, Y Cb Cr or HDMI inputs/outputs, so I won't mention them. If you don't have them, you obviously can't use them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect DVR, DVD/VHS recorder, TV [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a complicated set of stuff to connect. Complicated for me anyway! Most things I can figure out but this one has me stumped. The components are TV, cable DVR, and a DVD/VHS combo recorder. I've been able to get the cable TV signal to show up, and also the VHS tape to play,...

Connect satellite/dvr to dvd recorder to TV [ 2 Answers ]

I am having problems connecting my direct TV satellite with tivo/dvr to my dvd recorder and TV. I have it hooked up but it won't record.

How to connect new DVD recorder with old TV [ 8 Answers ]

I bought a new Panasonic DVD recorder with VHS deck (together in one unit) that I want to use to copy old VHS (non copy protected) to DVD. I'll be using an old RCA TV. The DVD recorder has RF jacks in back so I know I don't need to buy a modulator to hook everything up. :) The Panasonic...

Connect TV,vcr,cable,dvd recorder [ 2 Answers ]

I have a rca big sreen TV, digital cable box, vcr and dvd recorder. I can't seem to get it all connected properly by following the TV instruction guide or the dvd recorder instruction guide. I would like to be able to record dvd's from old vcr tapes, plus be able to have a strong enough signal to...

View more questions Search