Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dalliesgrrl Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Admins & control
    I'm curious.. As an admin, can you see the IP address that an account was registered on? I mean.. if I had two accounts on a thread based site such as this, would you be able to see that both came from the same computer/ip address?

Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 26, 2009, 03:51 PM
    Simply put, Yes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2009, 03:52 PM

And why do you ask?

Feb 26, 2009, 03:54 PM

I got in a bit of a tangle on another thread based site.. joined the site not knowing much about it, then discovered my husbands ex was a main user.. the admin looked up my account to check my email and tell her it was really me and I was curious as to whether the actual ip was visible..

Now.. is the IP registered visible, or is the IP being used visible?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 03:55 PM
    Yes for example you have used to separate IP addresses for all of your posts, for your privacy I do not list them

And in your case there are not two user names listed, OK question made is suspect.

** and I was posting while the other above answer was being posted.

All of our people are professionals and do not release this info to others

But anytime you go anywhere on the interent, send any email or more, there is always a trail

Feb 26, 2009, 03:57 PM

Oh... not meaning to cause suspect.. Was just curious how much was visible.. I mean, I could never use this site again even anonmosly (sp) because it would always be seen as the same ip?

That bites.. good chat topics..
    BossMan

Feb 26, 2009, 04:00 PM
    Nothing is truly annon on the net.
    Information of this type is heavily restricted access to administration staff only.
    Privacy laws prohibit what can and can't be done with it as well, so the admin on the other site was in breach of those.

Feb 26, 2009, 04:01 PM

Ok.. my follow up question would be whether if I logged on using an account made from a separate ip account would be seen as me?

Like I said.. it's a good site with lots of useful information, most not really available to guests so an account is required...

Feb 26, 2009, 04:04 PM

While I believe the admins on this site are professional, the admin on this site wasn't and confirmed to the user what my email address was.. Not much I can do about it I suppose..

Feb 26, 2009, 04:07 PM

Let me clarify actually:

I made an account. No posts were made. The account was viewed by an admin and my personal information given to another user.

If NO posts were ever made from my computer, would my first post on a NEW account be linked to the OLD account still?
    BossMan

Feb 26, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalliesgrrl View Post
    Ok.. my follow up question would be whether if I logged on using an account made from a separate ip account would be seen as me?
    With a good nose, yes, but not normally.

Like I said.. it's a good site with lots of useful information, most not really available to guests so an account is required...
    Most of the site is available to guset users, but an account is required for posting and access to other resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalliesgrrl View Post
    While I believe the admins on this site are professional, the admin on this site wasn't and confirmed to the user what my email address was.. Not much I can do about it I suppose..
    If you want to stay "hidden" then a non-linked e-mail is a must from the likes of MSN or Google.
    Also a username that does't reflect who you actually are.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2009, 04:10 PM

As noted, the registration IP and login IP are kept separately but are only visible to admins. We would never reveal that information however. Though we might reveal that two IDs were using the same IP since alais abuse is against our rules.

We would also never give out any registration info to a third party.

However, I will point out that any site is owned and operated by an individual. When you sign up for such a site you are at the mercy of the site owners and/or mods.

We recently had a situation where someone posted about a custody issue and another person came on claiming to be the other party in the custody issue. She claimed the first party was using an account name that they use all over and that's how he was identified.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recover or replace Admins Password [ 1 Answers ]

I Have Asus - model N10J Series which has been inadvertently locked by first time user. Does anyone have any idea how to recover or substitute password for another one. Help a Desperate Novice!

Do lawyers hire admins who are not paralegals yet? [ 1 Answers ]

I am making a mid-life career change and would welcome suggestions and advise. I have a BA in journalism and a great deal of business experience in marketing, sales, customer service and things of that nature. I am enrolled in a paralegal program at a local college, which I will complete in a...

View more questions Search