Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimfun71 Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Aug 21, 2006, 05:12 PM
    How do I tell what programs are launching svchost
    First let me say I like to keep my system tight. I never load garbage programs on it and I always do routine maintenance. From the first day I built my system it has taken aproximatly 15 to 20 seconds to launch windows and be able to run apps without the hourglass popping up. Now within the last week something is launching svchost and is taking 98% processor usage for well over 4 minutes. I know what I do on my computer but my Wife and Daughter have user accounts and there's no telling what they got in to. I can see that something is launching svchost but how do I tell what is launching it? More imporantly how do I remove it? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch,
    Jimfun71
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2006, 05:29 PM
    This is the best recommendation I can give you:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Aug 21, 2006, 06:07 PM
    The program that NeedKarma suggested is a very good tool to see what's currently going on in your system. It is one I always use to see which programs have certain files open. This program will likely tell you which app is causing your high CPU usage if you happen to catch it in time.

One other app you may want to consider is when you have pesky programs that launch svshost and go off and hide (i.e. they don't stay in memory or in the process table). You know... those pesky pop-ups that come up even though you don't see anything unusual in your process table or even when you don't even have IE launched. For that you'll need something that I'm going to suggest that you may not like (because you like to keep your system trim): Install "Tiny Personal Firewall" http://www.tinysoftware.com. It will identify/prevent code injections by bad process that exploit trusted services. It will also identify/prevent process spawning by bad processes of trusted services. It also restricts which DLLs can be loaded by specific applications and will flag any deviations for you. Lots of other cool features.

Now, having said that... I generally use this tool when I suspect something is wrong with my system (i.e. IE/Explorer hijacks). Otherwise, I leave it off.

Good Luck.

Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Must Have/Useful Programs [ 66 Answers ]

I thought it would be a good idea to get a list of useful programs that we could keep here. If a mod comes across this - could you sticky it please. It would be quite helpful. I'm bound to have missed some programs, so if there is some that you think should be on this list - post here or PM me...

Svchost.exe-21DF826A.pf.. Trojan? [ 5 Answers ]

I know about svchost.exe and its functions, but when I noticed it running from my own profile instead of SYSTEM and NETWORK, I kind of panic. I then started up a search titled, "svchost.exe" to find any viruses or trojans that would disguise themselves as an svchost.exe file,...

Problem launching game [ 4 Answers ]

I have purchased 18 WOS Convoy and installed it along with directx 9. I double click the shortcut icon and the video settings for the game appears, then I click on play. Something loads for a second, but nothing appears. Both convoy.exe and prism3d.exe appear in the processes with no activity. ...

Svchost.exe [ 2 Answers ]

What's a 'svchost.exe'?? The fact that 'svchost' rhymes with 'ghost!' worries me(I'm worried that it's a virus )especially when there are usually four of them running at any particular time :o This is what I see when I press alt+ctrl+del (I'm using XP): Windows Task Manager: Image name |...

Svchost.exe?  And startup but not in startup file? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Can you tell me what svchost.exe is? I'm always getting a box saying it has generated errors and will be closed. Also, a lot of things start up without being in the startup file. Where does the computer get the command to start those things up? The registry or somewhere else? ...

View more questions Search