Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdi1947 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 01:53 PM
    Convert Rheem Classic 90 Back to Natural Gas?
    I have a Rheem Classic 90 Furnace. It was originally Natural Gas but was converted when installed to work on LP Gas. Now Natural Gas is coming to my home and I need to convert it back to Natural Gas. I do not have the parts which were changed out the first time. Where can I get the parts? Is there a pre-packaged kit with a part number and instructions?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 02:15 PM

Contact Rheem and ask them for a conversion kit for your furnace. If your furnace is an older model they would know which current conversion kit would work with that furnace.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 02:38 PM

Look inside the panel where you can see the burner orifices. The original orifice was replaced with a LP orifice, the old ones may be still attacted in a small strip of metal for future use. I nvere throw them away.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Contact Rheem and ask them for a conversion kit for your furnace. If your furnace is an older model they would know which current conversion kit would work with that furnace.
    Hey! Just when did you become so d@mn smart about heating?:D
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 03:20 PM

From working at a manufactured home dealership where a lot of new gas furnaces were installed that had to be either LP or natural gas and had to order the conversion kits from the manufacturer. :):D Also the new home installations would involve the natural gas company with accompanying headaches.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:07 PM

Most furnaces as stated by ballengerb1 do come as natural gas and need to be converted to lp, so a conversion kit would be from lp to natural gas, you need to contact a Rheem dealer and order the orifices for natural gas as well as a wiring schematic because the later furnaces when converted to lp have a pressure switch and wiring change added for safety should you run low on lp, these would need to be removed , good luck, Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rheem Classic 90 Plus flames out after a few seconds [ 8 Answers ]

:eek: My attic furnace (Rheem Classic 90 Plus) ignites and then flames out after only a few seconds. I have found water pooled in the pan below the furnace on a few occasions. I have found similar problems & solutions online, but the lingo is a little over my head. I need somebody to describe...

Rheem 90 Classic [ 5 Answers ]

For the last month or so my two year old Rheem 90 Classic model #RCGA-36A2GG21XI condensing furnace keeps cycling on for a minute, the flame lights up, the fan comes on and then it turns off. A minute later the same thing happens for about 5 times. Then all of a sudden it works fine. A couple of...

Rheem Classic 90 duct cleaning [ 1 Answers ]

While I had the blower of my 10 year old updraft Rheem 90 HVAC system removed for inspection and cleaning, I noticed that above the fan in the duct there is a coil with black, gooey, fibrous material coating it on the bottom, which sloughs off easily. Is this an accumulation if dirt that should be...

Rheem Classic Clicking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with my outdoor Rheem Classic 9 Heat Pump I just reciently changed the fan control relay, after a week of running it seems to be clicking. I problem I had before with the relay was it would not turn the fan. I can tell the clicking is coming from that relay. I don't know if...

View more questions Search