Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jason90 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2006, 03:13 PM
    New Puppy Barely Eating.. Please Help!
    Hi,

My name is Jason and yesterday my fiancé and myself picked up a small [Sh*tzu] puppy. He has just been separated from her breed (brothers, sisters, mom and dad) and he has been barely touching her food. I am hand feeding the food to him so he can eat a little. Hes lucky if he eats 7-8 pieces.. I contacted the vendor and she said the pup was eating fine all the time. She had him on Iams so I had bought a bag of Iams to see how it was going..

Basically he's drinking water from after playing outside, and eats a little but not enough..

Does anyone have any suggestions? I think it might be from the relocation with new people (Us) and the separation from his family.. Does anyone else think this? (Possibly just nervous)

The puppy has had its first vaccinations and has been dewormed on Aug 8. Hes got an appointment for NEXT Friday for his second Vaccination.

Will he be all right? (Going on 8 weeks old).

As well, he's adapter to his Kennel very well. He likes to sit in it all the time, door opened or not. I bring him outside to play and he does but after he comes in, he just wants to go in his Kennel and rest/sleep and play with his stuffies for a bit..

Please help asap. We don't want to lose the dog...

Thanks a ton..

Jason

Aug 21, 2006, 03:36 PM
    Quick note, he has been peeing fine from what Ive seen (I seen him do it once at least so far today and I seen him poop once as well. Solid)..

My fiancé said he pooped 2 times this morning as well. 1 Bigger then the other. Just to inform..

As well it looks like he tries to eat grass.. Is this normal? '

Thanks
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

Aug 21, 2006, 07:07 PM
    It is probably just a simple case of adjustment. Are you feeding the puppy the same Iam formula as the breeder? Maybe the pup wants the food softened. Don't change the food. You could cause digestive problems. Not pleasant. I think a little patience will help in the long run. If after a week you are still having problems, consider a trip to your own vet. Do you go to work and crate the dog during the day? Make sure you leave him water and some food. Good luck. It is not recommended to leave a dog crated for more than 5 consecutive hours. They get lonely.

Aug 21, 2006, 08:41 PM
    Thanks for replying..

The pup has not yet been in the Kennel for that long of a period. We think it might be an adjustment issue as well but just require some assurance. When Im at work, my fiancé takes care of him and when she's at work, Im home. Our shifts work out great, (I work 12-8 midnights) as she works (1-9 evenings).

I tried softening the food as well. Didn't seem to work the greatest. He took a piece or two then backed off like he normally does...

Oh and yes it's the same food as the breeder. We made sure of that..

Thanks
    faith25 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2006, 02:58 PM
    Hi there,

I would definetely assume the pup is adjusting. If your puppy is drinking water, and going to the washroom, he should be fine. I remember when my pup came home she didn't want to eat, and we did they same as you; hand fed her maybe 10 kibbles. She's a pup, so she will sleep alllllllllll the time. She will maybe have a 15minute play session and then sleep for hours. Everythign seems perfectly normal, I would only start to worry if your pup stops drinking and peeing, and if your pup doesn't eat at all within the next 3 days.

If her stools get very soft, this can also mean adjustements.

Hope this helps!

Faith

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy eating his own poop [ 21 Answers ]

I have an 8 month old black lab who eats his own poop and I cannot figure out why. Does anyone know why puppies do this? I try to keep him away from it but he is so quick sometimes! Is there something he is lacking in his diet? Thanks for the help.

Recently spayed dog barely eating.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 5 year old dog (pic below) which was spayed almost 6 days ago. She barely drinks or eats anything at all. She just nibbles a few small bites of food and then just leaves it. The dog had a very healthy appetite before this... eating about (2) 16oz cans of food, and a bowl of dry...

8 week lab puppy not eating [ 2 Answers ]

I got a 5 week old lab puppy which became familiar in 2-3 days. He is now 8 weeks and got his first vaccination 2 week back. He has also got the de-worming. Now he has stopped eating. He just has few (very few) water or milk and became weak. Also he is not as playful as he used to be. We tried...

8 week old puppy not eating but drinking [ 1 Answers ]

I just brought home an 8 week old Scottish Terrier puppy from a very loving breeder. I'm not sure if he's just too young or what's going on. He ate the first night I brought him home and now he hasn't eaten in the past two days. He drinks plenty of water and is piddling but short of force...

:( Dog/Puppy not eating [ 1 Answers ]

I received a dog/puppy from a person who wasn't taking very good care of here, She refuses to eat dry food, she will only eat fresh meat or canned meat chunks, I've been feeding her porkribs with her dry food, but it's not working so well. Do you know how I can get her to eat dry food?

View more questions Search