Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mybooster Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 10:57 AM
    Aquarium water trouble
    Hi I am getting very discouraged over our aquarium. I can not get the water to stabilize.
    It is a new tank started with a cycle starter before adding fish, water was perfect added fish fed them too much got high amonia, did a water change fixed the amonia problem now my nitrate is 5.0 my nitrite is .50 and my ph keeps going up and down. I have tried nitraZorb, aquarium salt, I put in cycle by nutrafin every day for a week and the nitrate and nitrite stay the same. So now I'm putting in biozyme every day for 3 days now and still the nitrate and the nitrite is still the same. We have lost 7 fish now and I need help so we don't lose any more.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 10:59 AM

How big of an aquarium are we talking about?

Feb 26, 2009, 11:02 AM

We have a 55 gal tank
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 11:08 AM

I should have asked if it was freshwater or saltwater. I know there's salt in water conditioner so I didn't want to assume that you do have a saltwater tank. Any plants? Plants will do that to the levels

Feb 26, 2009, 11:19 AM

Freshwater
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 12:01 PM

Well if you have any plants that might be your problem. I'm not an expert but I had issues with my fish tank and I had live plants in it. I decided just to take them out and I haven't had any problems since. If you don't have plants I would take a sample of water with you to a petstore and have them test it and help you figure things out. I know they're very helpful at petsmart if there's one near you

Feb 26, 2009, 12:18 PM

I've taken water samples every day for a week and they keep telling me to add cycle and I have been doing that but nothing has changed. I don't have any live plants
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 03:06 PM
    You are going to have water readings all over the place as your aquarium cycles - no worries there.
    Use nothing but the product Cycle by Nutrafin.
    You can discontinue all the other stuff and follow the directions on the Cycle bottle.
    The tank is going to have to go through this process.
    Your water readings are going to go up and down during this process so don't worry about that.
    Not too much longer you should have readings something like ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, and nitrate .5ppm or above.
    The tank is cycling which is good, just drop down to only using the Cycle By Nutrafin as the bottle recommends.
    Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old salt water aquarium [ 1 Answers ]

Have had an empty fish salt water filled 32 gal. aquarium for 4 yrs. How can I remove the salinity . Tank is permanently installed in living room wall. Have drained tank and refilled several times. Still the salt accumulates are clings to outer walls of tank. How do I remove the salt? Want a...

Aquarium water ph [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 400litre tropical tank with malawi cichlids. The ph in the water keeps dropping to 6. The last time this happened I brought the ph back up to 8 using ph8.2 powder. I am due to change the water tomorrow but checked the water again out of curiousity but find it has dropped back down to 6...

Cloudy aquarium water [ 1 Answers ]

I have an already established aquarium, but cannot get rid of the cloudiness. The ph is Good. Christine

Aquarium water [ 2 Answers ]

I'm setting up a freshwater aquarium & I have "well water" that goes through a water softner... can anyone tell me if this will be okay to use in an aquarium? Thanks, "Ken" [email protected]

View more questions Search