Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 07:42 AM
    Minimum wage goes up in July, 2009; unemployement rate to follow?
    The federal minimum wage is $6.55 per hour effective July 24, 2008; and $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. Many states also have minimum wage laws. In cases where an employee is subject to both state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the higher minimum wage.
    U.S. Department of Labor - Employment Standards Administration (ESA) - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Compliance Assistance-Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

Unemployment rate for July, 2008: 5.7%
    Unemployment in July 2008, The Editor's Desk

Unemployment rate for January, 2009: 7.6%
    Employment Situation Summary

"In nominal dollars, there will be a 41% increase in the minimum wage, from $5.15 per hour in 2007, to $7.25 per hour in 2009. In real, inflation-adjusted dolars, it will be a 25.5% increase, and will be the largest 2-year increase in the real minimum wage in at least 50 years (see chart below). And this HAS to have an adverse effect on employment of teenage workers." CARPE DIEM: Is Min. Wage Behind the .50% Jobless Rate Jump?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 11:49 AM

Yes, I believe that the unemployment rate will definitely follow once the new minimum wage is enacted. Stands to reason that employers not wanting to pay the going rate will cut back employees.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 11:57 AM

A higher minimum wage puts upward pressure on the entire wage structure, which is the real reason that unions support it. If you tax something or increase its cost, you end up with less demand for that thing. Labor is just another commodity subject to market principles. The more it costs ,the less demand there is for it.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 12:19 PM

So then, we can conclude that liberals are encouraging and promoting unemployment for teenagers and less-qualified workers.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    So then, we can conclude that liberals are encouraging and promoting unemployment for teenagers and less-qualified workers.
    Hello George:

We could...

As long as we take into consideration that conservatives are for policies that cause jobs to move overseas. That, in turn, causes the ranks of minimum wage earners to be swelled by displaced factory workers.

Consequently, we could conclude that conservative policy promotes unemployment for teenagers and the less qualified workers.

Just thought you'd like to know.

excon
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 01:28 PM

So, if employers are finding it difficult to pay the increased wage and hire less, who is left to do the work?

Is there money available to pay the increased minimum wage, somewhere? Do company executives get a raise every year as the cost of living inflates?

Why shouldn't minimum wage be what it was originally designed for, a man supporting his family, his wife home taking care of the kids?

What happened?
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello George:

We could.....

As long as we take into consideration that conservatives are for policies that cause jobs to move overseas. That, in turn, causes the ranks of minimum wage earners to be swelled by displaced factory workers.

Consequently, we could conclude that conservative policy promotes unemployment for teenagers and the less qualified workers....

excon
    Conservatives are in, and have been in, a minority; therefore, it is a majority that favor businesses moving overseas, which is actually common sense. When we lose that common sense, we will be headed into the next war; it will not be like Iraq.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    Conservatives are in, and have been in, a minority;
    Hello again, George:

Hmmmmm?? I musta missed 6 outa the last 8 years.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 04:04 PM
    I keep hearing about Republicans sending jobs overseas but I don't ever see the evidence. Makes for a good talking point but that's about all. If that were the case, then wouldn't unemployment have risen dramatically over the entire 8 years of the Bush administration? All those employed Americans had to be working somewhere weren't they?
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Feb 26, 2009, 04:42 PM

Increased minimum wage will mean I have to pay more for my burger and fries.

I have a theory that I will throw out there. When the govt. tells an employer how much he has to pay, then that employer views it as what SHOULD be paid. In other words, in many cases wages that might be higher, based on performance, are LOWERED to the minium.
    Just as price controls will never work, minimum waqe laws do not actually work either. Both are artificial efforts of government to control what it has no business being involved with in the first place.
    As Tom pointed out above, the move is simply inflationary.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 04:43 PM

So, if employers are finding it difficult to pay the increased wage and hire less, who is left to do the work?

Is there money available to pay the increased minimum wage, somewhere? Do company executives get a raise every year as the cost of living inflates?

Why shouldn't minimum wage be what it was originally designed for, a man supporting his family, his wife home taking care of the kids?

What happened?
    Not sure what the purpose of minimum wage was ;but certainly it wasn't intended for a working man to support wife home and children.

Let's say I take the risk and sacrifice and save and maybe take out a loan against my house to open up a community hardware store(or any small retail store for that matter ) . Over time and many hours the business grows to a point where I can hire a few clerks working part time after school and weekends to stock the shelves and sweep the floors . But careful consideration and my personal business model says that is all I can afford in labor costs . Maybe one of them is a person who needs a second part time job or a mom who's children are off to school and she has a couple of hours to earn some extra spending money . These are the people who in reality are affected by any increases in a Federal or State mandated minimum wage.

Let's say that an increase now occures and makes my labor expenses cost prohibitive . Maybe As a business owner my personal income has been modest and in this environment sales have been flat.

Is it your position that I should then reduce my income as the owner of this business to ensure that the person I hired to sweep the floors remains employed ?

These are the employees that get screwed by these increases in the minimum wage . They should be cursing the name of the politician who wrongfully thought they were doing these workers a favor .
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    not sure what the purpose of minimum wage was ;but certainly it wasn't intended for a working man to support wife home and children.

Let's say I take the risk and sacrifice and save and maybe take out a loan agianst my house to open up a community hardware store(or any small retail store for that matter ) . Over time and many hours the business grows to a point where I can hire a few clerks working part time after school and weekends to stock the shelves and sweep the floors . But careful consideration and my personal business model says that is all I can afford in labor costs . Maybe one of them is a person who needs a second part time job or a mom who's children are off to school and she has a couple of hours to earn some extra spending money . These are the people who in reality are affected by any increases in a Federal or State mandated minimum wage.

Let's say that an increase now occures and makes my labor expenses cost prohibitive . Maybe As a business owner my personal income has been modest and in this environment sales have been flat.

Is it your position that I should then reduce my income as the owner of this business to ensure that the person I hired to sweep the floors remains employed ?

These are the employees that get screwed by these increases in the minimum wage . They should be cursing the name of the politician who wrongfully thought they were doing these workers a favor .

Thanks for addressing my question. My position had been based upon the idea that minimum wage was designed to provide support a family on one income. If that's not the case then why do we have a minimum wage? What/who started it, is it mostly only is hurtful to small business owners? Is it a pain to those who own monopolies?

The small business owner, if he was really keeping up with the times would charge $30. For a burger combo or a bag of fertilizer or, is that not competitive? If our national minimum wage had never come into being, would less dollars have been printed? Would we still be able to afford a house, the American dream on middle to lower income?

Sorry, that is not the topic. The topic is politics. I'd better shut up: shut up Simone.
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 08:57 PM

"Minimum wages were first proposed as a way to control the proliferation of sweat shops in manufacturing industries. The sweat shops employed large numbers of women and young workers, paying them what were considered to be substandard wages. The sweatshop owners were thought to have unfair bargaining power over their workers, and a minimum wage was proposed as a means to make them pay "fairly." Over time, the focus changed to helping people, especially families, become more self sufficient. Today, minimum wage laws cover workers in most low-paid fields of employment.[3]

"The minimum wage has a strong social appeal, rooted in concern about the ability of markets to provide income equity for the least able members of the work force. An obvious solution to this concern is to redefine the wage structure politically to achieve a socially preferable distribution of income. Thus, minimum wage laws have usually been judged against the criterion of reducing poverty.[4]

Though the goals of the minimum wage are widely accepted as right and proper, there is great disagreement as to whether it is effective in attaining its goals. From the time of their introduction, minimum wage laws have been highly controversial politically, and have received much less support from economists than from the general public. Despite decades of experience and economic research, debates about the costs and benefits of minimum wages continue even today."
    Minimum wage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary minimum wage [ 2 Answers ]

Is it legal for a company to pay me less then minimum wage based on 45 hours a week worked? Right now I'm making under $400/week at $19,000 a year. The minimum wage in Oregon is $8.40/hour. On salary I'm making 8.11 hour. Is this legal? What about getting overtime?

Roommate gave 9 day notice to move out lease doesn't end until July 2009 Austin, TX [ 4 Answers ]

My ex-roommate told me he wanted to move out on 11-21-08. He didn’t tell our landlord until a couple days after that. He moved out, but most of his stuff is still here. I told him as long as his stuff is still here he needs to pay rent for at least those days until he completely moves out. He...

Minimum wage [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently working at a restaurant in Wisconsin and I am 17 years old. I started in October 2007 and is now June 2008. I am making minimum wage which is $5.90 an hour. This is not a high class restaurant but it is not a McDonalds or anything close to that. I was wondering if you think that I...

What will happen if the Nation raise the minimum wage? [ 34 Answers ]

What will come along when it happens? Thanks:)

Minimum wage [ 1 Answers ]

The law says that certain seasonal employees are not covered by minimum wage but no onle lists what seasonal employment means. I work part-time(less than 40hrs/wk for a golf course as a ranger/cart attendant, are they required to pay me minimum wage since I am generally only employed March through...

View more questions Search