Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StaceyH Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2006, 11:53 AM
    Sewage gas smell coming up in Master Tub
    Hi everyone,

I have seen similar questions but am not sure if answer applies in my case. We recently built a house and began noticing a sewage gas smell coming up from our master bath tub. Shower is separate from tub. I also notice a gurgling sound in the master tub when we flush the master toilet, don't know if this is related or not. We have only been in the house 1 1/2 months, and the plumber suggested we fill the tub with water and let it drain, thinking that the p trap was empty, allowing gas from our septic system to come back up. We tried that and it worked for about 2 days and then the smell was back. Often I notice the smell most strongly when someone takes a shower, but also at other times. I saw on several posts that the roof vent could be the culprit, could we have a clog in the roof vent so soon after building? Any other suggestions? I should maybe mention that we have a 2 story house, and the master bedroom is on the second floor.

Thanks,

Stacey
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 21, 2006, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyH
    Hi everyone,

I have seen similar questions but am not sure if answer applies in my case. We recently built a house and began noticing a sewage gas smell coming up from our master bath tub. Shower is separate from tub. I also notice a gurgling sound in the master tub when we flush the master toilet, don't know if this is related or not. We have only been in the house 1 1/2 months, and the plumber suggested we fill the tub with water and let it drain, thinking that the p trap was empty, allowing gas from our septic system to come back up. We tried that and it worked for about 2 days and then the smell was back. Often I notice the smell most strongly when someone takes a shower, but also at other times. I saw on several posts that the roof vent could be the culprit, could we have a clog in the roof vent so soon after building? Any other suggestions? I should maybe mention that we have a 2 story house, and the master bedroom is on the second floor.

Thanks,

Stacey
    Hi Stacey,

I'm amazed that your plumber didn't explain about about "gurgles" and "bubbles". Let me correct that. "Bubbles" and "Gurgles". They are both indicters that something's going on in your drainage system.
    A "bubble" indicates a clogged line while a "gurgle" indicates a blocked vent. Let me explain. When you flush the discharge drains down the pipe until it hits a partial clog. Then it rebounds back sending a "bubble" of air ahead of it. When you flush a toilet or drain a bathtub a suction is created by the water rushing down the pipe. This suction is relieved by a open pipe that runs to the outside called a vent. When a vent's stopped up the suction has to relieve itself somewhere, in this case your tub. The noise you hear is the air being pulled through the water in the trap by suction, (gurgle). The water seal in the tub trap would be lowered by the vacuum allowing sewer gas to escape. Sewer gas is harmful to your families health and the methane content in sewer gas is explosive.
    Your bathroom ls vented by the lavatory vent. It could be a critter that died in there or construction debris that was left but a snake should be dropped down the vent to be sure it's clear. The only other answer would be faulty plumbing design.
    Have this taken care of at once. Good luck and let me know what you find. Tom
    StaceyH Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2006, 05:12 PM
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply, and I'm going to call my plumber as soon as I get done here. I didn't realize how dangerous this could be. So, what you are saying is that the gurgle I hear is indicative of some clog, which is why the p-trap is not staying full and preventing the gasses from coming back up. A blockage in the venting above is causing the seal in the tub to not work properly, thus letting the gasses come back up from the septic tank? It sounds like somehow when I flush the toilet it is causing so much suction that it's pulling the water out of the p trap? Is this right?

Thanks for your help and concern.

Stacey
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 21, 2006, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyH
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply, and I'm going to call my plumber as soon as I get done here. I didn't realize how dangerous this could be. So, what you are saying is that the gurgle I hear is indicative of some clog, which is why the p-trap is not staying full and preventing the gasses from coming back up. A blockage in the venting above is causing the seal in the tub to not work properly, thus letting the gasses come back up from the septic tank? It sounds like somehow when I flush the toilet it is causing so much suction that it's pulling the water out of the p trap? Is this right?

Thanks for your help and concern.

Stacey
    That's about what I'm saying Stacey!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About a week ago the pump for my septic tank broke. I replaced the pump And everything is working fine now. My problem is that some sewage backed up into my downstairs washroom onto an old cement floor. I have noticed a strong odor in the basement and coming up through the air vents. I...

Sewage smell [ 2 Answers ]

Recently we bought a house. As soon as we moved in we could smell a sewage smell coming from both bathrooms (cannot locate exactly where) and outside the front of our house (seems to be coming from underneath the house). How do we begin to look into this without calling out a plumber?

Sewage coming up from bath drain [ 1 Answers ]

We have a large 2nd floor bathroom with the tub being separate from the shower. This morning I noticed a foul smell coming from somewhere in the bathroom but couldn't locate it. Later this afternoon, while brushing my teeth, I realized sewage was coming from the drain in my tub while the water...

Sewage smell coming from vanity cabinet area... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... I'm new here. I know that similar questions like this have been posed here before, but I'm still confused about my situation... We just bought a house a few months ago. It's a modular. Ever since we bought the place, there has been a sewage odor coming from the master bath vanity cabinet....

Smell coming from toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Please help - our guest bathroom has this awful smell coming from the toilet - And we are at a loss to what it is from. We have a septic tank but the master bath doesn't smell at all. I was told to check the vent, or the wax seal to the floor. What do you think or is there something else I...

View more questions Search