Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teresamc3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Aug 21, 2006, 09:43 AM
    How do I fade my black hair dye?
    The day before yesterday I dyed my hair black. My natural hair color is dark brown and I like my hair really dark, but the black is a bit well... black :( . I want to fade it a bit and make it tone down a little faster.

I have heard that washing your hair with Prell shampoo and putting hot olive oil in it makes it fade faster. Is this true? I bought the Prell but I would like some tips on using the oil and anything else I can use naturally at home that won't harm my hair. I am also growing out a perm, so the ends of my hair still have a bit of that in it.

I called the help number on the box but I really don't want to use the hair color removal kit.

Any advise would be great!:D
    KarenM60 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2006, 08:34 AM
    My daughter did the very same thing using a semi permanent color (28 washes). She tried after 6 months to lighten it herself, but black is pretty tough. Your best bet is to see a professional before you damage your hair.

Neither Prell, Hot Oil or anything will really make black fade at all. Sorry
    teresamc3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Aug 22, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Thanks. I like the really dark color, I just want it a shade or so lighter. I don't really want it out completely. I just did a few days, so I'm sure it will lighten on it's own in time.

Thanks
    Queen2916 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 07:42 PM
    How do I strip a black hair coloring and return it back to blonde?
    KarenM60 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2006, 05:57 AM
    You will totally have to seek a professional, otherwise you will damage your hair very badly.
    Dianne64 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

May 27, 2007, 05:51 PM
    RE: HOW TO FADE BLACK HAIR DYE... THIS WORKS.

I dyed my hair black over a week ago.
    Like you I love dark hair but the black was just too much.
    I wanted to fade it to a dark brown.
    I bought nutrogena anti-residue shampoo.
    I put a lot of the shampoo on my dry hair. Coating ALL the hair.
    I put a plastic cap on it and slept in the shampoo. (about 6 hrs)
    The next morning I rinced my hair in warm water.
    The amount of dye that came out was AMAZING.
    I was shocked. This was 7 days after I dyed my hair.
    Two days later I poured very warm olive oil on my DRY hair and wrapped it in plastic.
    AGAIN a fair amount of dye came out.
    I rinced very very well and washed my hair (twice) with the Nutrogena anti residue shampoo.
    My hair is now soft and shinny.
    It did not turm my hair dark brown but it did turn it a very very soft black with subtle red highlights.
    A HUGE difference.
    Instead of a horrid coal black mess on top of my head I have shiny healthy hair that is soft black with dark red highlights.
    Hope this helps.
    x-jazzy-fizzel-x Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 01:15 AM
    Does Anyone Know How To Get Rid Of A Hair Dye Colour You Really Don't Lyk..
    I Died My Hair Nd It Was Supposed To Come Owt A Medium Brown.. But it Came Owt Really Dark Brown.. So Basically Black!
    I Thought I Shld Dye My Hair Before Because It Was Quite Light Nd I Thought It Didn't Look Right.. Now I Have Dyed My Hair I See That I Loved My Hair Colour Before Nd Really Want It Back.. Has Anyone Got Any Tips..
    I Know This Is A Question About Dyeing Your Hair Black But It Has GOne Basically Black!
    Can Someone Answer As Soon As Possible! Thanks Loads!
    x x x x
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

May 28, 2007, 10:45 AM
    The only way to get black hair dye out is to bleach it out. I'd go to a profressional or go to Sally Beauty Supply and ask them
    bhunji Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 7, 2008, 12:06 PM
    I've heard that fairy liquid gets colour out of hair and it doesn't ruin the condition of the hair,I haven't personly tried it myself but it's a good idea

Only ANSWER the question on this page here. Do NOT ASK a question.

You are NOT logged in.
    xdesaw Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 7, 2008, 12:10 PM
    This might sound very strange but I've heard that spunk helps strip the colour out the hair my friend tryd it and it workd for her but she is a prostitute so she can get her hands on a lot of the stuff
    Elvisteddybear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 04:14 PM
    I have dyed my hair black for years now but since I am in the 40"s I think is time for a change. I wanted to bleach my hair but I am not sure if I should I am really afraid to damage my hair. I have been reading all the good advices and I think I am going to try some of them before I decide to bleach my hair.

I would like to thank all of you for your different advices.
    I will keep you posted on how the process of fading my hair with out bleaching.

Thank you
    Elvisteddybear
    chayes6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 11:12 PM

Okay, I died my hair yesterday, I wanted to dark brown, it turned jet black, almost navy blue! It was so dark. It was permanent and I tried EVERYTHING to wash it out and didn't work.

COLOR OOPS at walgreens works miracles!

It was back to dark brown in 20 minutes. I didn't believe it when I heard it, but its true!
    Rosiee92-x Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 09:43 AM
    My hair was black and I had tried desperatley to fade it many times!

my hair is now very light brown with blonde highlights, as the only way to rid of black dye is to bleach it out, I have tried every trick and none of them work, lightners, hair strippers, strong shampoos their all useless.

I got a bleaching kit and bleached my whole head of hair and it went blonde in some places and orange in most places, I new this would happen so I bought a very light brown to hide the orange and within 2 weeks the brown was light enough for me to have highlights.

this does damage your hair though but a good conditioner will get it smooth in no time.
    x x x
    skm0587 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 11:24 AM

I will try this color oops shampoo. I've had the very same situation. I dyed my hair black a few months ago thinking it'd work out okay (my hair is naturally dark brown). However, I hate it. I waited a couple weeks to try dying it lighter, but all that happened was that my roots turned redish-brown while the rest of my hair stayed black. Now my hair basically looks mostly black with about an inch or two of reddish brown near the crown, and then dark brown. I reallllly hate my hair. I've tried using a dandruff shampoo that has tar in it, I've tried peroxide (and mixing the two) and I've tried Tide. The only thing that's different now is that my hair is damaged. My hair has broken in areas so now I have a bunch of fly-aways. I have a huge interview coming up in about a month and have no clue how to correct this. I am considering trying color oops or the prell shampoo, but I'm uncomfortable about it. My hair is damaged enough now. I am considering having it professionally corrected but I have no idea how much that will cost. I just want my hair color to look natural, gosh.
    nikon1177 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2010, 08:23 AM
    If you want to fade hair color in your hair use any strong protein treatment in your hair - I personally love Aphogee protein treatment - nothing works better than this, I tried it all! You can buy Aphogee protein treatment at any Sally's Beauty store! I know this question is posted long time ago, but I thought it might help someone else too! :)
    graceanna333 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2010, 09:10 AM
    Last night I bought a product called Nuetrogena soft black hair dye and I dyed my hair to a soft black. It came out too dark and I want it back to a meduim brown. Im trying my best to find a lot of tips and I need help.
    KIMBERLEY5678 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 03:29 AM
    Ive been dying my hair for years, I always bought the Darkest brown, but of course always came out black. I concluded I hated me that colour as I have very pale skin! I visited a hairdresser, to see if they were able to Strip (bleach) my hair, they did a strand test for me , but the dye had been held so strong for so long it would not lift atall, to hear this I was devastated as I wished to have much lighter hair for prom, they advised me to by a Antidandruff shampoo, which aids the lightening of hair dye, I have been using that ever since for several months now, and to be honest my hair has faded drastically, I got pretty bored with the slow period of waiting for my hair to fade so I then bought another shampoo, which I was advised to use. It is called Vosene, it has a distracting smell, but the smell proves how strong it really is, this has also aided my hair to fade , my hair is no longer jet black! However be accepting to know this will take quite a time,just be patient! Although... this way will prevent your hair being damaged, from being re dyed or being stripped (bleached).
    unionredskin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2011, 01:46 PM
    My hair is medium brown. Anytime I dye my hair, I do it myself. This was the first time I went to the salon to get it a bit darker, but the lady took way too long to wash it out and now its really really dark. I used prell shampoo, and some dye came out, but you can't even see a difference. Have any tips to make my hair dye fade faster?
    RyanJames Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2011, 05:04 AM
    There's a thing called hair colour before in super drug that may help but I've had bleach hair before and bleached it wasn't the best way to go it got really damaged. But I've got black hair now I've bene trying to fade it a bit into a brown again because I coloured over a meduim brown and I miss it:L but I've been told to use lemon jucie and that should lift it a bit but I don't know if it would work or not.
    RyanJames Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2011, 05:08 AM
    I got told to use lemon jucie but I will try it and see if it lifts it, but there a stripper called hair colour before in super drug and I don't know if ti would work to take me back meduim brown or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP: Going from Black Hair to Brown Hair [ 42 Answers ]

Ok, firstly, Id like to apologies as I realise there are many topics on this forum about this, however, they have only confused me more, as some say that it is not possible to do it without bleaching, and some say that there are hair dye removal products that can do it. I naturally have dark...

Tips to fade semi-permanent hair after 48 hours [ 2 Answers ]

Last Thursday I had my hair dyed at a salon and it came out black. My hair is naturally dirty blonde and I just wanted it a shade darker than my roots to even it all out. I really don't know what she did to make it so dark. I didn't think to try home remedies when I got home and went away for...

What color would my hair fade into.. [ 7 Answers ]

Ok well... I heard that Prell shampoo works well. See... I experiment with my hair often. My hairstylist, Carlos, and me decided I could go a shade and a half brighter in my red because it was fading fast. I was scared to do the whole head so I higlighted it... and because of that, I did not dye my...

How to Fade Dyed Dark Hair? [ 12 Answers ]

Im naturally a very fair, light brown colour hair and I died it black about 3 months ago but because my hair is so long I used two hair dyes to cover it. Unfortunately it didn't and the ends of my hair stayed the same light colour. Now my roots are coming through so I have light roots and light...

How to make dark hair dye fade faster [ 207 Answers ]

Today I dyed my hair "dark brown" and it came out too dark. I don't want to strip or bleach my hair, I just want to make the color fade a little faster. I've read about several ways to do this and I wanted to know if anyone knew the best method or if any of these really work. Here are the...

View more questions Search