Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxsophiexx95 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 01:17 PM
    Sleeping Weird.
    Hey My Names Sophie Im Aged 13...

When I Sleep I Sometimes Have Dreams Of Me Going Under Water, This Bit Is Kind of Weird Because While Im In The Water I Can Breathe In My Dream But Meanwhile In Real Life I Start To Stop Breathing...

Im Very Worried And Scared That If I Hold My Breathe For Too Long I Might Pass Away,

I Know I Hold My Breathe In Real Life Because 1My Sister Told Me And 2 I Wake Up And Gasp For Air.

Please Suggestions Please?? :(
    Miss Helpful Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 03:36 PM

I think you should speak to a doctor. Until then, have a family member sleep beside you. Do you have any control over waking up in your dreams? I know I do. Answer my question and then I should be able to help you more.
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Feb 26, 2009, 04:37 PM

Do you snore? Some people have a medical condition called "sleep apnea" in which they stop breathing many times during their sleep, and it disturbs their sleep. If you snore loudly, that is often a sign that you could have sleep apnea.

Don't worry! Sleep apnea won't kill you. You won't stop breathing so long that you die. Eventually, the need to breathe becomes so strong that it wakes you up, or wakes you half-way up. So it can make it hard to get a good night's sleep. If you do have this condition, and you are tired all day, the doctor can give you a special mask to wear at night that helps you breathe.
    rg61fc Posts: 27, Reputation: 4

Feb 26, 2009, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Helpful View Post
    I think you should speak to a doctor. Until then, have a family member sleep beside you. Do you have any control over waking up in your dreams? I know I do. Answer my question and then I should be able to help you more.
    Breathing is voluntary to a certain degree, when a person drowns there body forces them to try to breath and there lungs fill with water. So in theory you can only hold your breath for so long before your mind forces you to breath. Still probably a good idea to discuss this with your doc!
    BlackVY Posts: 823, Reputation: 154

Feb 26, 2009, 05:08 PM

But apparently you can't die from holding your breath, because even if you pass out, your body will start breathing again as soon as you do, so you won't die...

But I guess there still would be brain damage and stuff, so stick with what everyone else is saying and talk to a doc... :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 06:21 PM

Yes I agree you need to get to a sleep clinic if a doctor can not tell if you have sleep apnea or something. I think your dream of drowning is a result of what is going on with your body when you are asleep so the dream is trying to tell you something. Get to a doctor.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 10:02 PM

Hi, xxsophiexx95!

We would appreciate it if you wouldn't use the rating system for a response that really should have been posted as a separate post and not a rating.

Miss Helpful was trying to help you.

Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2009, 05:20 AM

You need to tell your mom that you are afraid that you have a serious sleep problem and you have checked the internet and realize it may be something you need to see a doctor for. If you stop breathing in your sleep it can be something very serious.

Feb 27, 2009, 10:07 AM

I Don't Snore... Unless My Sister Would Tell Me And Thanks For The Answers. I Told My Mum But She Doesn't believe Me Which Is Very Annoying And Upsetting.
    GNL685 Posts: 170, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 12, 2009, 10:24 AM

Talk to your DR it might be sleep apnea
    GNL685 Posts: 170, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 12, 2009, 10:25 AM
    In obstructive sleep apnea, breathing is interrupted by a physical block to airflow despite respiratory effort. In complex (or "mixed") sleep apnea, there is a transition from central to obstructive features during the events themselves.

Regardless of type, the individual with sleep apnea is rarely aware of having difficulty breathing, even upon awakening. Sleep apnea is recognized as a problem by others witnessing the individual during episodes or is suspected because of its effects on the body (sequelae). Symptoms may be present for years (or even decades) without identification, during which time the sufferer may become conditioned to the daytime sleepiness and fatigue associated with significant levels of sleep disturbance.

(wikipedia)

Aug 30, 2009, 03:20 PM

I Don't Sleep In The Day Btw.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird goo [ 9 Answers ]

I have this strange, odorless sticky orange/brown goo slowly oozing from the main sewer pipe out of the house in the basement. It has taken months, possibly years to biuld up, but has become noticeable recently. It looks like candle wax has been dripped on the side of the pipe. I had a plumber...

Sleeping problems, not sleeping, insomnia [ 9 Answers ]

Hi this is the first time Ive ever been on this site seems to be very helpful. My boyfriend has been taking prescription ambien for about 7 months and his new doctor took him off that and gave him other sleeping medications but he does not sleep at all now. Maybe one or two hours a night and...

Restless sleeping/breaking the habit of sleeping on the bed [ 2 Answers ]

Our little shih tzu (8 months old) started well, but more recently has taken to sleeping under or on our bed. We took the path of least resistance and let him get away with it, but his constant licking, nibbling, flicking his ears around and general sleep noise is driving us nuts. Any tips for...

Weird guy [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! MY friend likes to wear women's underwear and lingerie. He is straight, but his behaviour is so weird. I don't understand this. Can anyone explain to me? Thanks a lot!

View more questions Search