Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ceyyxx00 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 11:54 AM
    How to get social securtiy tax and medicare tax back (J-1, sign tax treaty)?
    I hold J-1 visa and am a researcher from China, and sign the tax treaty form.
    I can file tax forms to get federal and state fax back. But there are social securtiy tax withheld and medicare tax withheld over 1000 USD in total. Do I need to pay that or can I get them back and how? Thank you so much.

BTW, for the form 1040NR-EZ, do I leave the line 3 and 4 and 5 just blank? And put wages to line 6? Thanks.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 04:51 AM

Every one on J1 is exempt from SS tax and Medicare tax for 2 years.
    Researcher from China is exempt from federal income tax for 3 years. You will file nonresident tax return and Form 8833 to claim your exempt status.

About SS tax and Medicare tax, ask employer to refund you the taxes, and stop withholding during the second year. Finally you can file Form 843 for the refund. It is filed separately. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Social Security and Medicare (FICA) Taxes for Non-resident Exempt Individual

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax treaty exemption and medicare tax [ 2 Answers ]

I am an Italian Visiting Professor entered I USA with a J1 VISA on July 2006. During this time I didn't received any salary fro USA University. I left from USA on October 2006. I entered again with a new J1 Visa on July 2008. I received regular salary from USA University from this data up to...

Social Security and Medicare [ 3 Answers ]

I recently filed forms for Social Security and Medicare to the IRS(4 weeks ago), to be reimbursed as my employer had withheld the money in error. This morning I received a letter from the IRS stating that they haven't resolved the matter because they haven't completed all the research necessary...

Social sec. Tax and Medicare tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have read some of the similar questions here, but I could not find the exactly same question I have. My former employer forgot to deduct social sec. and medicare tax from my salary and my last salary statement does not show any of dudction of social sec. and medicare tax, but only...

Social securtiy disabilitie and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently getting ssd and I recently got married. She works and is filing her 2007 taxes and I want to file my taxes with her. Will this affect my ssd because she is currently not listed as my wife on my ssd. I guess the main question is if they will lower my ssd if we file togeather?? ...

View more questions Search