Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lenovo Posts: 180, Reputation: 14

Feb 25, 2009, 10:50 AM
    What Am I?
    Ok, here is the thing, and I understand religion is a touchy subject for sum, and I mean not to offend anyone cause I'm not trying to and if I do, I apologise. But here is my "situation" I was born and raised as a Jehovahs Witness, however, I even growing up I never really, followed their ways. When I went to their meetings, I always felt my parents were "forcing" me to go. When I grew up, and moved out, I stopped going to their meetings (church for some) and just kind of went my own way, did my own thing. Now, I live with my girlfriend who was born and raised a Catholic (did I spell that right?) and she knows of my parents religion, whaich she knows I used to be one. I personally don't consider myself a Jehovahs Witness, but I also don't really consider myself anything else. I don't think I'm an Atheist, because I do believe in God.

It comes down to this... I believe there IS a God, BUT I'm not really sure what to believe about Him. So, exactly what would I be classified as? Does anyone know?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 11:27 AM

I can understand your confusion. JW's are considered by most evangelical churches to be a cult. As such you have a lot of questions. I would suggest that you if you are really interested in God as a person start investigating different churches. Catholics are really great people, but have too much of the law for my tastes. Not the best way to put it, but I don't have a better analogy right now. Depending on where you are located you can find a lot of christian churches that will be more than happy to give you information on their denomination and how to identify a cult and the snares that they use to grab people.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenovo View Post
    Ok, here is the thing, and I understand religion is a touchy subject for sum, and I mean not to offend anyone cause I'm not trying to and if I do, I apologise. But here is my "situation" I was born and raised as a Jehovahs Witness, however, I even growing up I never really, followed their ways. When I went to their meetings, I always felt my parents were "forcing" me to go. When I grew up, and moved out, I stopped going to their meetings (church for some) and just kind of went my own way, did my own thing. Now, I live with my girlfriend who was born and raised a a Catholic (did I spell that right?) and she knows of my parents religion, whaich she knows I used to be one. I personally don't consider myself a Jehovahs Witness, but I also don't really consider myself anything else. I don't think I'm an Athiest, because I do believe in God.

It comes down to this... I believe there IS a God, BUT I'm not really sure what to believe about Him. So, exactly what would I be classified as? Does anyone know?
    Lenovo,

Years ago, when I first serached for answers because of religious difference that came from church rules and man's traditions... I started by reading the bible, and prayer. Each morning I would go on line to (bible.com) and read the daily devotion. It was usually from the book of Proverbs.

The book of Proverbs is the beginning of wisdom, and Love for God

From there I have gone to courses in studing the bible, verse by verse..book by book, and God has answered all my prayers. I located a church that teaches "The Word" without man's traditions.
    kiarya Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Feb 27, 2009, 10:52 AM

Lenovo,
    Personally, I believe that the slightly larger question here is do you believe in the CHRISTIAN God (as those of that faith tend to argue the fact that their God is separate from all other entities), or do you believe simply in the existence of a Divine Being?
    I came from a Lutheran family and always found myself feeling as if I was "forced" (as you felt), and when it came time for me to make my own decisions, I transferred, within Protestantism, to a Disciples of Christ ministry. Then came a time when I was Agnostic, usually taken to mean that I believed in some sort of Divine Entity, but not in a particular religion. I have finally found where I feel I "belong" within spirituality, but that is of no concequence to you.
    The important thing here is to experiment. Go to different meetings and ministries, and if you do this and STILL feel as if you haven't found your place, don't hold yourself to strictly the Christian definition of God. One should never practice what they don't believe, and I feel that if God is going to judge you because you didn't settle into an established religion, but were still a good person, then he's not exactly an Entity I'd be interested in bowing to anyway.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2009, 10:58 AM

Why do you feel the need to subscribe to a Religion? God, whichever God it is you choose to believe in, will not reward you based on what "Religion" you are... only on your beliefs and how you live your life.

It doesn't matter what Church you go to or what your parents told you... all that matters is what you, yourself, believe in.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 10:59 AM
    I'd say you're agnostic, someone who believes there is a God but hasn't figured out what that means to you personally.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2009, 02:01 PM

What kind of world would this be if there weren't labels for everything... and everyone.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2009, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle View Post
    what kind of world would this be if there werent labels for everything... and everyone.
    Man's world.. the prince of this world is satan...

That is why we are not of this world when we walk in Christ, The Word of God..
    And as Christ told us that we walk in His ways, and in the spirit of love. That which is not of this world but one with Him. So we are not of this world and man, when we walk in the spirit of love with Christ. (John 17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.) (John 17: 19 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.)
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Mar 1, 2009, 10:24 PM

You would be classified as a person that believes in God, but without a religious affiliation. Just like thousands of other people that either refuse to be pigeon holed or admit that we can't know which path to God is THE path.
    inashdeen Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2009, 09:24 PM

Assalamualaikum. To me, you are in the path of rebirthing. You are like abraham in the night of finding the truth. You knew that somehow, there is something wrong within you, but you do not know what is it. To me, I believe that god's love will be with you as lng as you open your heart, your mind and your soul to it. Do not be sceptist of any religion and you will see that light of revealation is with you. May you live in love and live of allah. Any personal question, email me at [email protected]
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2009, 09:31 PM

Why do you want to classify yourself with anything. What does it matter? To men and to the church it might matter, to family. Who cares about that. The only think that matters is your belief in God, his spirit is within you and your will learn and grow in your own relationship no matter what church, denomination, belief you may have. God knows your heart. That is all that matters.

You believe in God, Good for you. God, Love and sharing love and the gifts that were given to you. That will in itself will help you grow.

No labels, no classifications.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 11:32 AM

Len,

You are still young... if you are interested in what religion really is and how the ruling classes and religious leaders use religion to mentally enslave average people, there is a lot of reading you can do!

If you just want to believe in a generic God, not related to any religious scriptures which use words like GodAlmighty or Allah or whatever... you cn be like Albert Einstein who didn't rule out the existence of "God", but ruled out the existence of a personal god.

Best wishes, :)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 31, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Lenovo,

If you accept the existence of God, do you accept the definition of the term to include "infinite?"

Why should you listen to anyone who wants to limit the infinite?

Aren't we arrogant little humans?
    321543 Posts: 72, Reputation: 10

Jun 24, 2009, 09:00 AM

Neither .
    However , You are a Child of God and you have a Spirit telling you that it thirsts for enlightenment .
    First , you must prey about it yourself, ask GOD . Read the Scriptures . ( I prefer The King James version ) Prey some more , our Father already knows your needs , he just wants to know you. You will soon know your answer for Thy self .

God is not one of confusion. Why should we be? Are we not made in his image ?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 09:12 AM

I say this is a tough situation for you and I feel for you. You say you believe in god. Do you believe in Jesus as your savior? If your answer is yes, then you are a christian, end of story. It doesn't matter what KIND of christian you are.

If not, then you may simply be agnostic. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Read the bible. If you don't believe in christ as your savior, then read the old testiment and learn more about God.

Good luck hon.
    Joshua.H. Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2010, 01:18 AM
    Ok, here is the thing, and I understand religion is a touchy subject for sum, and I mean not to offend anyone cause I'm not trying to and if I do, I apologise. But here is my "situation" I was born and raised as a Jehovahs Witness, however, I even growing up I never really, followed their ways. When I went to their meetings, I always felt my parents were "forcing" me to go. When I grew up, and moved out, I stopped going to their meetings (church for some) and just kind of went my own way, did my own thing. Now, I live with my girlfriend who was born and raised a a Catholic (did I spell that right?) and she knows of my parents religion, whaich she knows I used to be one. I personally don't consider myself a Jehovahs Witness, but I also don't really consider myself anything else. I don't think I'm an Athiest, because I do believe in God.

Maybe you are a Deist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search