Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    budy1ham Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 10:52 PM
    My portfolio
    Hi

I am currently finishing my college education in photography and we have to do a portfolio as our final project. One of the things we have to do is get an opinion from our target audience about what they would want to see in our portfolios. So my question is
    If you were looking to get your family photos done what would you be looking for in photographers portfolios to make your decision of who you want to hire?

If you could give me a response that would be great

Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 24, 2009, 11:15 PM

Candid, relaxed, realistic, soft light, natural light, dynamic, unposed, catch defining moments, really capture the subject(s), engage the subject(s) in conversation that builds a rapport that will evoke a reaction that you nimbly catch
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Feb 25, 2009, 12:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by budy1ham View Post
    Hi

I am currently finishing my college education in photography and we have to do a portfolio as our final project. One of the things we have to do is get an opinion from our target audience about what they would want to see in our portfolios. So my question is
    If you were looking to get your family photos done what would you be looking for in photographers portfolios to make your decision of who you want to hire?

If you could give me a response that would be great

Thanks
    I'm currently taking a semester long class on preparing a photography portfolio. We need to select candidate photos then have several people evaluate the portfolio - how appropriate the photos are, how well they show a consistent style, how well they are executed, how well they fit together, etc. I suggest you do the same. Take your best photos, put them in a sequence, and ask someone to take 15 minutes and look at them, and tell you which images they feel work well to project what you want to project, and which aren't strong enough or consistent with your style.

Here are some tips on selecting and editing photos for your portfolio:

1.Gather all images that are candidates for inclusion in your portfolio. Delete any image that is lacking in professional quality. Photographs and presentation must be immaculate, flawless.

2.Scrap any photo that you did not enjoy shooting.

3.Eradicate all photos that are of subjects that do not excite you. Don’t show something you would not want to photograph again. (This is important - people WILL hire you to take photos like the ones you show in your portfolio!)

4.Lose all photos that do not titillate the majority of viewers.

5.Exterminate photographs that lack interesting composition and lighting or are devoid of a unique perspective, an unusual way of seeing something. Include photos that are visual treasure chests that when opened (viewed) pleasantly startles, surprises the viewer with never-before-seen gems. Your photos should have impact, a hook.

6.Count the number of images that are left standing. If there are less than 10, stop here. It is not necessary to continue reading. Go out and shoot. As you photograph, your goal should be to create images that cause people to gasp with delight.

(The next section is on the physical design of your portfolio. In my opinion that isn't nearly as important as selecting the photos - especially for a personal service such a portraits.)

Good luck!

Feb 25, 2009, 09:11 AM

Thank you so much for your responses. If people could keep responding that would be great the more responses the better. Thanks again!

Feb 25, 2009, 07:12 PM

Need a few more responses if you could respond and give me your imput that would be so great thanks
    Nohelia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 04:32 PM
    Hi
    When I look at a picture I look at me and how I was in the picture .But if you were not in picture I wood look at the way the people are and look.:D
    dcooper Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2009, 03:03 PM
    If I were looking at portfolios of photographers to decide on who would shoot my family portraits I would look at the photos closely to see 1. if they know enough to control the lighting to play down something a person doesn't like emphasied (i.e. a mole, birthmark, acne, etc.) but at same time know how to use light & angles to flatter people (you don't want grandma's white hair to blend into the white wall in background of an in-home family shot!) 2. do they seem to be a "people person" enough to be able to get the family to relax enough-especially children so they can smile naturally. If a person is not comfortable & especially if they're tense they will not smile as good. (it's not easy getting everybody in a large family to look the same place/smile at same time) 3. Does the photographer have enough variety in their portfolio that I can tell they can shoot in any environment-home, studio or outdoors. Without too much emphasis on the background & if outdoors do they know how to fill in the shadows with proper amount of fill flash for under the nose & chin if the sun is overhead and 4. Can they pose people so in the final photo you can roughly tell who is who (roughly) and will they allow special poses that you may want. Hope that helps a bit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forming a portfolio [ 1 Answers ]

The standard deviation of expected returns for investments X and Y equal 20% and 22% respectively. The correlation between returns for X and Y is .40. Find the combination of X and Y that yield the minimum risk portfolio. If your objective is to form a portfolio with these two securities that is...

Portfolio of options [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I'd like some help on my class presentation. The question is 'build a portfolio of purely options position'. I'm entirely sure what is required as this topic hasn't been covered yet. Could someone clarify or point me to some links? Thanks.. any help at all would be appreciated! ...

Dow Target 10 Portfolio [ 0 Answers ]

I want to buy the Dow Target 10 Portfolo Trust but when I looked at the sales charges, I decided to pass. Is there anyway I can purchase such a Trust with lesser sale charges? gatnus

View more questions Search