Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yjack Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Adopt Step daughter

Is it possible for me to adopt my step daughter? The situation is that her MOM is on the birth certificate but does not play a role in her life. My husband has full legal custody.
    She pays no child support or has no communication with her. She is 4 years of age and I've been taking care of her since she was 1.
    She lives the girl when my husband was on Iraq. We don't know were her mother is , she is a drug abuse. What can I do?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yjack View Post
    Is it possible for me to adopt my step daughter? The situation is that her MOM is on the birth certificate but does not play a role in her life. My husband has full legal custody.
    She pays no child support or has no communication with her. She is 4 years of age and I've been taking care of her since she was 1.
    She lives the girl when my husband was on Iraq. We dont know were her mother is , she is a drug abuse. What can i do?
    Get a lawyer. You will need to go through procedures to attempt to locate the mother. Then the court will issue a TPR (termination of parental rights) and you will be allowed to adopt.

But is a tricky procedure. You will need a lawyer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 24, 2009, 03:59 PM

First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

You need to hire an attorney to prepare the adoption petition. Part of that petition will be a termination of the mother's rights. If she can't be found or refuses to sign, the attornjey will advise you how to involuntarily terminate her rights.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 24, 2009, 03:59 PM

You get a lawyer, first off. You'll need one.

Then you try to get the mother to voluntarily sign away her parental rights.

If she won't, then you have to PROVE her to be an unfit parent. Good luck with that--it's harder to do than you'd think.

A lawyer will make this easier and will make sure that all the I's are dotted and t's crossed to make it impossible to turn over your adoption later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband trying to adopt step daughter [ 4 Answers ]

I've been married now for three years and want to know how I can adopt my step daughter , considering the bio father has not made contact in four years nor has contributed a dime.How do I go about this process?

How can I adopt my step daughter? [ 2 Answers ]

I'am a step-mother to my husbands little girl. Her mother is still in the picture but does not see her like she should! She is a drugy and not a good mother for her daughter. Her daughter has been abused by diff. men which are friends of the mother and her mother doesn't even care. My husband has...

Father abandoned daughter one and a half years ago and step father wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughters father completely stopped contact with my daughter a year and a half ago. We were separated for eight years, Since then I have remarried and gone on with my life. He suddenly stopped all contact with her a year and a half ago, stopped child support about three...

View more questions Search