Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arothafel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2006, 12:53 PM
    Which bid seems better?
    Here are bids I received from two different contractors. I'm interested in anyone's opinion.

Here's the house:
    Two story 4,000 square feet - 1,500 upstairs, 2,500 downstairs. Southern California (Orange County) Old 30 year-old Carrier split system needs to be replaced along with 8 new ducts upstairs only. One furnace in attic and the other in a downstairs closet. Compressors outside.

Bid #1: Sole proprietar: Nice guy and comes recommended.

He quotes: Ruud System 3 ton and 5 ton using the Ruud UANC 13 SEER Air conditioners. Will replace all 8 ducts upstairs. No duct replacement downstairs as they are sandwiched between floors.

Furnaces: Ruud Super Quiet 80 upflow Horizontal gas furnace. Single stage

Total cost $13,000

Bid #2: Company - Salesman used the car sales approach, but company is highly regarded.

He quotes: American Standard System 3.5 ton and 5 ton using the American Standard Allegiance 18 model 13 SEER Air conditioners. Will replace all 8 ducts upstairs. No duct replacement downstairs as they are sandwiched between floors. Will replece all vent grills. Will put four guys on the job and complete in 3 days.

Furnaces: American Standard Freedom 80 upflow Horizontal gas furnaces. 100,000 BTU downstairs and 80,000 BTU in attic.

Total cost $12,500

Any opinions are much appreciated.

Arthur
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Aug 20, 2006, 01:47 PM
    Really, it sounds like a flip of the coin. Both sound like they are putting in the correct sized equipment and same basic install. Both are quality products. Go with the one that you are comfortable with...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 20, 2006, 03:52 PM
    I like Ruud personally as for as equpment goes

How long as both been in business,
    Do they have have workers comp insurance and liablity insurance, will they furnishyou proof of insurance

Are they both disposing of old units,is it in writing

Assume both have licenced employees, does either use non licenced trainees on major install areas

What is the warranty, both on parts and on labor

Will business 2 put the 3 day completion in writing and have a penalty if they don't, if not, then don't beelive it.

Is the bids final, or do they allow for additional money if issues arise ?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2006, 09:49 PM
    Ask each company to give you three names of customers that you can talk to to get references.
    Do not pay any money up front, I suggest not until the job is complete and you have checked it out.
    Ask some people you know and that you trust for the name of the company that did their work and if they are satisfied.

Other than that both bids sound pretty much the same. But do find out about the warranties. Some good companies offer a ten year parts and labor warranty.
    arothafel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2006, 02:00 PM
    Thanks you guys...

These are great response that I will follow-through on. Fr Chuck, I wonder why you prefer Ruud. Almost everyone I've spoken with prefers the American Standard. So, I'm very interested in your preference.

Meanwhile, it seems that the real decision gets down to the actual installers, themselves, and the after installation issues such as warranty for labor, etc.

Thanks so much for all your help. I am going to take my time with finding the right installer. And,. I'll get it all in writing. Perhaps I should write up the contract..!

Art
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2006, 09:14 PM
    One bit of information. Some brand names have "Dealers", they will have three or four of these dealers and if you need work done on their brand of AC you have to use on of the dealers or you can not get parts. So be careful.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2006, 10:28 PM
    My family is in the heating and air business, that is one of the several brands they carry. They have had a lot of luck with them.

And I did say personal preference. Nothing wrong with the other either.

I don't work in the business, I did operate the plumbing and heating part of the company 12 or so years ago for a couple of years but it was more of a one or two truck operation back then. My son runs it now and has almost stopped everything but new home construction now. I believe he stills runs a few trucks on home repair but almost all of his work is new home.

So a plug for a brand that has worked well for our family business.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search