Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sanka1944 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 11:25 AM
    Surrendering the Green Card
    I am a green card holder and all other members of my family i.e. my wife and sons are US citizen. I am 65 years old and I want to go to my country and stay for a long time. I want to surrender my green card but want to obtain tourist visa for 10 years so that I can visit my family members whenever I want to see them. Is it possible to surrender my green card legally and obtain visitor visa? If so what is the procedure to follow.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Feb 24, 2009, 01:30 PM

You can be out of the US for over a year with a re-entry permit (form I-131) and they are good for 2 years. If you really plan on being out longer, then the relinquishment may be what you want.

You will fill out form I-407 abandonment of permanent residence, filed along with your permanent resident card at th US consulate that has jurisdiction over your foreign address. Keep a copy for your file.

After abandoning, you can apply for a visitor visa, but you need to really show that it is for temporary visits. Form DS-156 or DS-160 online form (very new) for most consulates in Canada and Mexico.

If this was helpful, rate this answer. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1B to green card [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have been working in US on L1B visa for close to 2 and 1/2 yrs now. My company is planning to extend my L1B to another term of 2 yrs, which would make my total time on L1B 5yrs. When should my company ideally file my green card application? If my company applies for my GC, and I...

F1 to Green Card [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am an F1 student from India Can I be eligbile for green card lottery Sincerely Zulfikar

Is H1 married to Green Card Holder elligible to apply for Green Card? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on my H1B visa in USA since Jan 2006.I got married to a Permanent resident in US while I am on my h1B. 1) I would like to know if I could start my green card processing through my husband? 2) How long can I stay on my H1B and when should I get my extension of H1B? Thanks Much!...

USA green card [ 1 Answers ]

I am U.S. Green Card holder. If I travel out of USA to my parent country, How long I can be out of USA and within how I should enter to USA.

View more questions Search