Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    broddam Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Flywheel won't turn
    Ok, Yardman is several years old (I believe about about ten years or so) but I have had it a few months. Worked fine for awhile. Last few times I would cut it would cut for a good while then it would just cut off. Battery is weak so I would always have to jump it off beforehand. No problem with that, just kind of aggravating. Well, when it would die on me in the middle of a cut, I would not even be able to jump it off. Last time it cut off, I pushed it back to the carport and it was VERY hard to push. Even after it sat for awhile it would not jump off or start or anything. Oil level is/was fine. I thought maybe the engine locked up, but like I said the oil level was fine and fairly fresh.

I found this site a couple days ago and noticed all the solenoid problems. I had noticed a clicking sound so I found the solenoid and jumped the two pegs with a screwdriver. Got a minor spark but that was it. So I hooked up cables (with truck turned off) and tried, got a little bigger spark. Tried holding the key turned on and tried the solenoid again. Nothing. SO I cranked my truck to get more battery power. Ok, now, when I jump the solenoid I get a BIG spark and can actually see the starter engage (hood and cover are removed). The starter does try to turn but the flywheel won't turn and the starter gear cannot engage it.

Please tell me this thing is not locked up. What else can I check?

Also after I did all this, I disconnected the cables (truck to mower) and turned the key. NO clicking no from the solenoid and it would actually engage the starter yet it still would turn the flywheel.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2006, 04:15 PM
    Try turning the flywheel by hand... does it? (till it hits the compression stroke of course) ohv engine or side valve?

You could have a bad starter, mis-adjusted valves (if ohv).

How about the teeth on the ring gear on the flywheel? All there? How about the teeth on the starter gear? Does the starter go all the way up? Or just jam midway maybe?

Aug 20, 2006, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    Try turning the flywheel by hand... does it? (till it hits the compression stroke of course)
    No, but that does not surpise me. Due to the compression (I think?) I cannot even pullstart the mower. Never could. Even when all was fine. Although the pull string and gear it sits in work fine when you take the shroud off. If it is on the mower, there is NO pull starting this thing.

Ohv engine or side valve?
    Don't know, late here will check tomorrow, not 100% on how to tell[/QUOTE]

You could have a bad starter, mis-adjusted valves (if ohv).

How about the teeth on the ring gear on the flywheel? All there? How about the teeth on the starter gear?
    All the teeth are there on flywheel and starter...

Does the starter go all the way up? Or just jam midway maybe?
    Hmmmm... I am not sure. Looks like the starter gears just stay up, inline with the flyweel (or maybe they are midway) when I put power to it and/or let the power stop. But I will also check that tomorrow.

Thanks for the help so far.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2006, 08:56 PM
    Well on telling if it's a ohv engine or not... a ohv engine will have a big cover on the front of the cylinders, and be stamped ohv usually...
    Flat head/L head/side valve engines have flat heads basically... lot of fins on the head, spark plug out the front... usually a ohv's is out the side.

Aug 21, 2006, 05:01 AM
    Ok, well I do know that the plug is out the front. I work from the house and need to work a little bit (or A lot, haha) this morning. Its 7am now but I will get out the shortly and look for the rest...

Thanks

Aug 21, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Ok, still not 100% on the OHV or or side valve but if I had to out money on it would bet that it's a side valve. Like I said earlier, the plug does stick out the front and that is where the head is also ( I believe) with the coil pack on top of the head up next to whatever the flywheel is inside of.

The starter...
    As far as moving up all the way or only midway... it is not moving up and down at all. It is like it is up and teeth lined up perfectly 100% of the time right now. I can see what I believe to be a plastic piece that you can tell is supposed to move up and down to put the starter gear in line with the flywheel. It stays up right now continuously trying to turn the flywheel. Maybe it drops down after it starts?

I can back the flywheel up maybe a little over an inch, then try to start it. You see the starter gear turn the flywheel turn back to where it originally was before I turned it backwards. Hope this is some more good info and explained good enough.

Thx for the help...
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2006, 12:14 PM
    Ok, the starter gear some of the time might not go back down until they start...
    But the flywheel still doesn't... can you turn it without the sparkplug (by hand) ?

Aug 21, 2006, 12:46 PM
    I can only move it say, maybe 1.5 inches backwards and then back to the original spot. But keep in mind that even before I had troubles with this I could not pull start it. I mean you could not pull on the handle at all. And that part was NOT due to the pull rope being tangled or the jammed cause when I took the shroud off, which housed the pull rope, it pulled out easily then.
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2006, 10:05 PM
    It sounds ( the pull start system) is that you have a older style clutch (instead of the newer bowl, where the pawls would catch indentations when you pulled the cord and turn it over)
    It looks like a big square thing sticking up basically... it's a one way ratchet... and should only turn one way

Aug 22, 2006, 04:59 AM
    Ok, yes I do have that square thing sticking up and YES it will turn only one way. I was thinking though that it turns freely the way it does so the pull cord can wrap itself back up. I cannot turn it at all the other way. Without going out there to look at it, I think it turns freely counter clockwise.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2006, 09:47 AM
    Yes it should turn opposite the way the engine turns... If that does what it's supposed to, look at the magneto and make sure its not catching the flywheel.. you have tried it without the sparkplug? No difference?

Aug 22, 2006, 10:48 AM
    With or without plug makes no difference. The magneto (1 inch tall and two inches wide?) is right above the flywheel and everything seems to turn together from the flywheel up. I guess I am looking at the right thing. Of course when I say 'turn' I mean only the one inch or so that I have talked about.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2006, 04:02 PM
    The magneto has the spark plug wires coming out of it... it should be beside it.

Aug 22, 2006, 10:07 PM
    Ok, I just kid of glanced at it. I thought that was a coil pack. LIke I said I did just glance tonight, will look more detail tomorrow but it did look like it was touching it. I assumed it was supposed to be. I will look more at it in the morning.

Thx for all the help, even though have not solved the problem yet...

Aug 23, 2006, 03:40 PM
    OK, the magneto was not stopping it cause I took it off and still tried to turn it by hand, which I couldn't except for the 1.5 inch play we have already discussed. Don't forget though, as previously mentioned, I have NEVER been able to turn it with the pull rope. So me not being bale to turn it by hand does not surprise me. Of course it moves no further when I put power to it. Same 1.5 inch (if I back it up by hand).

I am about ready to take this thing aprt, but I may not get it back together, haha... to aswer your latest question, the magneto was NOT stopping it from turning...
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2006, 07:33 PM
    Ok, about the only things that would be left... stator came apart from under the flywheel and jammed... engine seized, or a belt is still engaged?. I'm not leaning towards engine seized at the moment...

Aug 24, 2006, 06:40 AM
    OK good. Belt still engaged would make a little sense since it was so hard to push back to the carport. I will look here shortly at it although I am not sure on how to tell if it is still engaged or not. Will check it out...

Starter? Maybe so, but just the way it looks when it does turn some, I don't think that's it, although maybe I can remove it (couple of bolts) and would the gear on it spin freely then? I bet if I put power to it while removed it would spin, wouldn't it? That would be a way to check it carefully though...
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2006, 08:57 AM
    Yeah, just hook the starter up to the battery directly and it should spin pretty fast as usual...

As for the belt, just look underneath for slack in them if they are disengaged.

Aug 24, 2006, 09:28 AM
    Ok, my buddy from across the street who works on mowers but has been out of town for the last couple months came over. He first tried to turn it and said I had belts engaged (as you and said). Fiddles with them, then said no, your starter is hung up. He fiddled with it and got the gearing on the stater to go back down. Then he was able to turn the flywheel. He said I have a broke wrist pin. Maybe more but he knows I have that at least. You could turn it a lot smoother now, feeling a click then it stops and if you put just a tad more force behind it, it till click a lot louder then turn all the way around. He said that's because of the wrist pin. DOes this sound feasible before I tear into this thing?

If so, I believe I have only about four bolts to snatch it off and turn it upside down (after I drain the oil). ANything else I need to know before I do snatch this thing off? I have a cut off valve for the fuel so no problem there.

Aug 24, 2006, 11:51 AM
    Well hang on. I went out there but then got to thinking. Even if I do have a broken wrist pin, this things should STILL turn over. Probably crank. Might make one heck of a racket, but it should still do it, right? SO maybe the wrist pin is not my entire problem. We can turn the flywheel, so I would assume that means that the engine has not seized up. I am not 100% on what I should try to do next...

Hopefully your around soon...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan blade on my unit won't turn [ 8 Answers ]

My fan blade on my central unit won't turn. It appears it is trying to turn, so I helped it with a screw driver. The fan blade then runs with out fail, but will not cool. I was told that it might be my capacitor? Why is it when the blade turns it won't blow cold air?

A/c unit outside won't turn on byitself, thermastat? [ 6 Answers ]

My family went on a trip to see relatives in the country. When we came back the a/c had quit. The inside blower motor works, just the outside unit will not turn on. Everything is fairly new, except for the thermastat on the wall, which is one of those old round mercury like switches. I took the...

Air handling unit won't turn off. [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I have moved into new offices and had new server rooms kitted out and went for geothermal cooling, it uses a massive air handling unit to supply the cool air to the server cases but the air handling unit won't stop, I even hit the emergancy stop button on the main control unit. But it Won't...

89 honda civic won't turn over [ 1 Answers ]

Most of the time it starts.Is now acting up once in a while.when you push clutch to the floor you hear a click and that is all.when you keep pushing pedal to floor it will turn over eventually.Can someone please suggest what's the problem or how to fix this? THANK YOU!

My PC on not turn off,I need help [ 1 Answers ]

I have a laptop. My PC don't turm off or restart... I don't know why But it just don't. I don't know what to do... please Can anyone help me?. please I need help!!

View more questions Search