Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2006, 10:58 PM
    Wrist pin connects the rod to the piston... it should still turn over unless its essentially broken some and jammed.
    Of course you never actually know unless you look...

I'd look under the flywheel first for anything hanging up, if no... then it has to be internal.
    broddam Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 06:00 AM
    So, I take it your talking about removing the flywheel before I remove the engine and look internally? Can the flywheel be removed without taking the engine off the frame?
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2006, 07:27 PM
    Of course, just a nut to be taken off... of course the flywheel is fitted on (essentially its stuck on good) and a puller will help a lot to get it off... or light taps from underneath with a rubber mallet (but the ring gear you have to worry about messing up so not a good idea)

Aug 30, 2006, 01:11 PM
    Ok, here is where I am now. Nothing has changed since my last posting (I have had no time in the past several days) except I have removed the engine from the frame and I have drained the oil.

Now, since we can manually turn the flywheel to a certain point, and it stop till we put just a little more pressure we are assuming a broken wrist pin. But that does not explain why when we try to crank it, it only moves about 1 inch then stops. I am wondering if the starter gear itself is messed up and it will not allow the flywheel to turn. You also mentioned taking off the flywheel. My idea was to turn the motor upside down and tear into it to look at the wrist pin and anything else that was damaged.

3 things here and I am not sure what to do first

1)starter (can I still test it with the engine off the frame? Or did the engine being mounted actually 'ground' the starter since only the hot wire goes to it.

2)flywheel - I don't have a pulley puller but I feel like you were leaning towards me doing this route first, of course that was before I removed the engine.

3)tear into the bottom of it and worry about other two later since we are 99% sure it has a broken wrist pin.

Which route do I take?

Thanks

Aug 30, 2006, 01:23 PM
    After reading this post:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/lawn-g...art-32213.html

I am now wondering if I do not have a broken wrist pin. Should I be able to turn the flywheel continuosly in the same direction through the compressin stroke and beyond? I thought you could only turn it to a certain degree. The guy in the post I copied also can turn his by hand almost freely, yet when he tries to crank it, it only goes an inch or so...

And come to think of it, when I drained my oil, it sure was thin, maybe it was gas that made mine so thin. I am as lost as a puppy dog now...

Aug 30, 2006, 02:36 PM
    Well, I found out my problem. Took the engine off, turned it over and pulled the bottom off it. WHat I found was a broke rod, and the part the rod connects to at the bottom (looked like cast iron) was also broke on the sides. ALthough the rod was still fully attached to it. It was all jammed in there crooked and all. Now I have to decide if this thing is worth rebuilding or not. Not sure how much they cost...
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 10:39 PM
    Man that's freaky... (the conrod, should attach itself to a steel crank) if that's what your talking about that looks iron?

I'd either short block it, or find a good used.
    dodgehemi1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Apr 14, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by broddam
    Ok, Yardman is several years old (i believe about about ten years or so) but i have had it a few months. Worked fine for awhile. Last few times I would cut it would cut for a good while then it would just cut off. Battery is weak so i would always have to jump it off beforehand. No problem with that, just kinda aggravating. Well, when it would die on me in the middle of a cut, I would not even be able to jump it off. Last time it cut off, I pushed it back to the carport and it was VERY hard to push. Even after it sat for awhile it would not jump off or start or anything. Oil level is/was fine. I thought maybe the engine locked up, but like i said the oil level was fine and fairly fresh.

I found this site a couple days ago and noticed all the solenoid problems. I had noticed a clicking sound so I found the solenoid and jumped the two pegs with a screwdriver. Got a minor spark but that was it. So I hooked up cables (with truck turned off) and tried, got a little bigger spark. Tried holding the key turned on and tried the solenoid again. Nothing. SO I cranked my truck to get more battery power. Ok, now, when I jump the solenoid I get a BIG spark and can actually see the starter engage (hood and cover are removed). The starter does try to turn but the flywheel wont turn and the starter gear cannot engage it.

Please tell me this thing is not locked up. What else can I check?

Also after I did all this, I disconnected the cables (truck to mower) and turned the key. NO clicking no from the solenoid and it would actually engage the starter yet it still would turn the flywheel.
    Take the fly wheel of look and see if any of the magnets are lose. If so that will stop the flywheel from turning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan blade on my unit won't turn [ 8 Answers ]

My fan blade on my central unit won't turn. It appears it is trying to turn, so I helped it with a screw driver. The fan blade then runs with out fail, but will not cool. I was told that it might be my capacitor? Why is it when the blade turns it won't blow cold air?

A/c unit outside won't turn on byitself, thermastat? [ 6 Answers ]

My family went on a trip to see relatives in the country. When we came back the a/c had quit. The inside blower motor works, just the outside unit will not turn on. Everything is fairly new, except for the thermastat on the wall, which is one of those old round mercury like switches. I took the...

Air handling unit won't turn off. [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I have moved into new offices and had new server rooms kitted out and went for geothermal cooling, it uses a massive air handling unit to supply the cool air to the server cases but the air handling unit won't stop, I even hit the emergancy stop button on the main control unit. But it Won't...

89 honda civic won't turn over [ 1 Answers ]

Most of the time it starts.Is now acting up once in a while.when you push clutch to the floor you hear a click and that is all.when you keep pushing pedal to floor it will turn over eventually.Can someone please suggest what's the problem or how to fix this? THANK YOU!

My PC on not turn off,I need help [ 1 Answers ]

I have a laptop. My PC don't turm off or restart... I don't know why But it just don't. I don't know what to do... please Can anyone help me?. please I need help!!

View more questions Search