Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajuboy79 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 03:39 PM
    H1B married to F1 visa. File jointly/ separately
    Hi

I have been in the US since 2003 and am on H1 visa since 2006. Actually I have more than one question
    1. My wife (on F1) came to the US in July 2007. Due to ignorance, we filed her taxes through turbotax (dint know non resident students can do that) and she also received the stimulus rebate of 300$. So now, do we file a 1040X amendment and pay back the amount?

2. We got married early 2008, and now when we file for 2008, can we file as Married/Jointly?

3. During an internship in summer 2008, my wife's Social security and medicare were withheld (which I don't think should have been because of her F1 status), I was thinking of filing 843 and 8316 for a refund. Now if filing Jointly is possible for 2008, can we still do the 8316?

Appreciate any kind of help on this.

Thanks a lot.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2009, 08:26 PM

2. Yes, you can file joint return as residents. In that case you will not get SS tax and Medicare tax back.

Feb 24, 2009, 09:12 AM

Thank you Mukata for the prompt reply. For the first part of my question, do I need to send only the 300$ check to the IRS or should I calculate interest?? Also can I plead them for a waiver in my letter included with 1040x and 1040NREZ and 8843. Thanks a lot once again.

Feb 24, 2009, 09:19 AM
    One more quick question. Does your response mean, that by deciding to file jointly, will force us to pay the SS and Medicare Tax that has not been withheld all of 2008 (while she was a grad assistant)? Thank you once again.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 22, 2009, 01:18 PM
    Email me at [email protected] and I will give you the exact sequence of events needed for you to file for 2007 and 2008 and STILL get the FICA tax redund for your wife. Do this even if you have already filed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

Spouse on J-1 visa, do I file as married filing separately? [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I got married last year. He was here on the J-1 visa and left last month. His sponsor will file his taxes, so do I file mine as married filing separately, including his social security number, or as single? Also, will his sponsor get any information about my taxes? Sorry if...

Married jointly or separately? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My husband lives/works in Chicago and I live/work in Washington state. When we file tax report for year 2008, is it better to report jointly or separtely? Also can each of us claim ourselves as a head of household? Thanks!

To file jointly or separately? Help needed please [ 1 Answers ]

Need help chosing best filing option for my wife and I. We live in NJ, I work in NYC, wife works in NJ. Is it better to file jointly or separately? NY taxes on NY income only, but does use total income (wife + mine) for rate base calculations. Wondering which filing options would be best... ...

Married Dual State Tax (NY , PA).. File Separately? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a question. I recently started a job here in PA (state flat rate tax ~3.07%) and commute back to NYC on the weekends. My wife still lives/works in NY (city and state ~10%). We haven't decided on whether to move to PA or not. For this year should I change my address to a place...

View more questions Search