Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrk Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Trying to decide on motorcycle
    I've been thinking for a while about buying a street bike, nothing big just 400-600 ccs to ride around town on. My dad told me I shouldn't and it's too dangerous, but I still want to ride one.
    What does everyone think about riding motorcycles, good or bad idea?

Jeremy
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2009, 01:30 PM

I want a motorcycle but I know I will kill myself on one. Not that I think they are dangerous But I would be dangerous on a bike. I had a friend die on a bike about 5 years ago. A guy ran a red light as he was crossing the intersection he flew about 75' into a Parking lot helmet on and everything. Your dad is just trying to watch out for you so you have to understand his point of view. But If this thing is ever available in America I AM GETTING IT Fly the Road
    hatorade Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 02:37 PM

You should ride it!!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2009, 02:57 PM

I used to ride a lot, but don't anymore. I've been thinking about getting another bike.

Motorcycles ARE dangerous. I was just reading reviews of scooters and small bikes (250s) in Consumer Reports and they said the fatality rate on bikes is 37 TIMES that in a passenger car. They are dangerous regardless of who is riding, but of course more dangerous for some people.

So, speaking from experience, riding is fun, it's economical, it's easier to get around town.

BUT:

-->You should ride as if you are totally invisible, because cars will drive right into you--while looking at you--if you let them.

-->Make sure you get a bike that's in good mechanical shape, with good brakes. A breakdown on a bike is more serious than in a car. Be prepared to make minor repairs in an emergency.

-->Don't ride in the rain, because you are even more invisible and your brakes don't work as well.

-->Don't ever ride if you are having a bad day--feel ill, are upset, just feel off for no reason. Have an alternative so you don't ever HAVE to ride the bike. Before you get on the bike, check in with yourself. Am I feeling good, on top of things?

I have an old 750 in my basement and want to get it running again, but it scares (an excites) me now just to look at it.

Once I was at a physical therapy session for a back problem and this guy sat down next to me to do PT on his knee. His leg had been completely destroyed from just above the knee down to the ankle--scars, swelling, awful. He could barely move it. I sneaked a couple more looks and then I asked, "Motorcycle?" And it was a motorcycle injury.

All that said, I love bikes, and I think a 500 cc or so is a great size. You can take it on the freeway, accelerate out of trouble, but you won't have so much power that you are so likely to kill yourself -- at least if you are trying not to!
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Oh, and take a motorcycle safety course. I have heard they are great.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Feb 23, 2009, 03:07 PM

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you decide to you should be careful. I had a reletive who died in a motorcycle accident. A huge truck behind him didn't see him and ran him over.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2009, 07:39 AM

Motorcycles are great, I would work on proficiency in accelerating, turning, and stopping, where it is safe(Little or no traffic)
    When Driving on the road, Ride like the Cars are TRYING to hit you, They may be.
    I used to like riding a little faster than traffic so I would not have to worry about someone running me over from the rear, as much.
    I see Bikers down here ride slow in the Fast lane, Idiots. It seems to Piss off Cars, and then they have less respect for that rider.
    Don't get in or stay in peoples Blind spot, make yourself visible. Make you presence known.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 07:40 AM

Asking I heard it was going to be about $20,000.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Motorcycles are great, I would work on proficiency in accelerating, turning, and stopping, where it is safe(Little or no traffic)
    When Driving on the road, Ride like the Cars are TRYING to hit you, They may be.
    I agree with this of course.

But I would also emphasize that beyond actually handling the bike, 80% of good riding is exercising good judgment, just as in driving a car.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2009, 07:54 AM

An alert rider, good judgement, reflexes, sight, physical abilities/limitations, timing, and balance are important. Some of these can't be improved on.
    If you are younger, peer preasure can get you in trouble or hurt. Good Luck.
    arcwick08 Posts: 14, Reputation: 4

Feb 24, 2009, 09:00 AM
    Having ridden for many years, you can not be too careful.

If you have never ridden before, take an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. These are very helpful and usually will get you a discount on insurance. Also, I used to live in CT and taking this course waives your riding test to get a license at the DMV-- big time saver.

Before you buy a bike, buy gear. Go to a bike shop and get a riding jacket and gloves. Then get the most comfortable DOT approved helmet you can find. Don't think that just because a jacket is leather that it is a riding jacket. There is ride-weight leather and fashion leather. The latter offers no protection from the asphalt. A good pair of gloves will run you $50, a good jacket $200+ and a good, basic helmet $150. Once you have gear...

Assuming this is your first bike, do not get a 500+cc machine. That is a fast way to waste a lot of money and hurt yourself. You must remember that no matter who you are, you WILL drop your first bike. It is an inescapable fact of riding.
    I would suggest something with an engine south of 250cc as a first bike. You can still accelerate faster than 90% of the cars on the road on a 250. Check your local penny-saver (used vehicle rag) for used bikes for sale.
    You can pick up a 250cc machine for a couple hundred bucks and it will serve you better for learning than anything.

Hope this has helped!
    Fox racer Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 11:14 AM

I agree with Arcwick08 a really good bike would probably be a Honda 250 enduro because you can register them and they are a lot easier to handle then a harley or a Kawasaki. Best thing would prob be in that range =P
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2009, 11:22 AM

Just for the record, I dropped the first bike I tried to ride, a Honda 160, but in my defense I was trying to ride it uphill in deep gravel, which is a bit much for someone who had never been on a bike before. Not my idea! I ran it into a pile of big rocks at low speed. I never again dropped a bike...
    Fox racer Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 11:52 AM
    Lol I rode a hona 150r biggweel for my first bike and only wrecked once in the years I had it
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 12:21 PM
    As stated a bike is dangerous, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't ride.

Take a good safety course. Wear proper gear that will protect you and increase your visability. I've seen one of the Ride Like a Pro dvd's and it seemed pretty good.

First bike was a nighthawk 650... a good bike... had enough power that I could respond with power if I needed to, but wasn't too much or too big.

Don't know your living situation... you mention your dad... so are you at home (young) or just talking about his opinion? No matter... I think it's a good idea to take a class and have a motorcycle license if you are remotely interested. Its like knowing how to drive a stick... even if you don't own one, you should know how.

And if you take the class and get the license... in time, you'll probably own. It's a great thing to ride. Love it.

So yes, its dangerous. You are more vulnerable, less visible, with fewer safety devices.

So ride smart. Educate yourself. Enjoy it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repoing a motorcycle [ 2 Answers ]

Can a repo man break into garage to repo a motorcycle

Motorcycle accident [ 3 Answers ]

Motorcycle accident due to an illegal lane change. I was riding my motorcycle down a street. A van in the right turning lane from me decided switch into my lane. Keep in mind that I was right beside him and he had to cross over a white solid line to attempt to go staight. Well I had no...

Motorcycle accident [ 3 Answers ]

I was involved in a motorcycle accident in Sept of 06 that was not my fault. The other party was cited with hit-skip, no drivers license and left into approaching traffic. I suffered a torn ACL, and other tears in my left knee. I also had 11 stichs in my chin, a bruised right lung and a deep...

Motorcycle helmets [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently doing a research paper in my english class and the topic is should people wear motorcycle helmets? Its not a law in every state but should it be? Your thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!! :o

View more questions Search