Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beth911 Posts: 499, Reputation: 6

Feb 22, 2009, 12:47 AM
    Panic attacks
    For some reason every night for like the past 3 weeks I've had them and I'm on medicene now. Before I only had them maybe a few times a month or so. Its always been off and on but lately its been really really bad. Is there a way to get yourself to calm down from it?
    I seem OK when I forget it but that's hard to do. And I start thinking I'm really hot when really I'm freezing and I can't feel cold enough. And I feeel like its starting to happen now which is why I posted this

Feb 22, 2009, 12:47 AM

What's the worse that could happen from them? Or do I not want to know that right now? Am I going to be OK?
    Peanuts825 Posts: 27, Reputation: -2

Feb 22, 2009, 12:50 AM
    I would talk to your DR about it.. both my kids have panic attacks.. they've both used Xanax and it does really help a lot... So maybe your doc will let you try it... it really does help.. it calms your nerves.. makes you feel a lot better.. Im on them myself.

Feb 22, 2009, 12:54 AM

He put me on prozak a few weeks ago and wanted to put me on xanax too but my mom told him to hold off on that and just try the prozak for now and I have to go back for a 1 month check up. But I really feel like I might start freakin out right now. Sometimes it even makes me throw up and I had an energy drink which probably was a bad idea. And I'm not at home I'm at my brothers and I'm the only one awake and I don't know but my face is starting to hurt. I'm just trying to keep it from happening before it starts. Its always at night, and especially when I wake up and its dark

Feb 22, 2009, 01:01 AM

When you feel like you are dying or aren't really here, is it really happening or all just in the mind? Can you die from it?

Feb 22, 2009, 02:05 AM
    If you feel like your dying.. your having a BAD anxiety... you need help with it... you really do need to try the Xanax... I wuld go to it and stop the other your on

Feb 22, 2009, 02:05 AM
    And yes.. your going to be OK :-)
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 22, 2009, 02:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanuts825 View Post
    if you feel like your dying.. your having a BAD anxiety... you need help with it... you really do need to try the Xanax... I wuld go to it and stop the other your on
    Do not EVER EVER tell someone to do try a medication on their own! Are you out of your mind? You ARE NOT a Dr. You CANNOT diagnose over the internet. Also, you NEVER stop taking an anxiety medication on your own! You could have likely put her in the hospital with that advice! Don't answer questions if or until you have correct information! :rolleyes:

Beth, stay on the medication prescribed to you. Disregard the above advice. Your anxiety attacks cannot kill you, but that advice may have possibly been detrimental to your health. Once an anxiety drug is in your system, you never stop taking it cold turkey. One of the side effects of doing that could be a heart attack. Only your Dr. can tell you when it's safe to discontinue the use of the medication you are on.

When you feel an attack coming on, do some deep breathing exercises. Some say meditation or yoga help them. Do not reley on the meds to "fix" everything. They are supplemental, but there are other things you can do. I know it feels like you are going to die, but you won't. I have severe chronic panic and anxiety attacks. They are scary aren't they. What I do when I feel them coming on, is first make sure that I haven't forgotten to take my meds. and then sit in a quiet place, close my eyes, and take very slow deep breaths. If you are at home, a warm or cool bath will sometimes help also. You can also pick a focal point, and try and concentrate on that until your attack has passed. There are also relaxation CD's that you can buy, and they can also help.

Just remember that it will pass, and you aren't going to die from them. It only feels that way. Once again, take your meds as prescribed, and never stop taking them unless your Dr. advises you to do so.

Feb 22, 2009, 02:50 AM
    Star, why do you think I told her to talk to DR.. Stop being a smartellic, I'm not here to fight, I just hate hearing her situation.. I got 2 kids with the same problem
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 22, 2009, 02:55 AM
    Star, why do you think i told her to talk to DR.. stop bein a smartellic, im not here to fight, i just hate hearin her situation.. i got 2 kids with the same problem
    The difference is, I do not give advice that could be detrimental to someone's health. I'm not engaging you in a fight. I am pointing out incorrect information. This is an advice site, and people come here for correct information. I asked for you to read the rules and regulations for just this reason. So, do not come here a try to tell me what and what not to do. I know the rules. Do you? I also know how to spell correctly.

Feb 22, 2009, 02:58 AM
    I know enough to know what I'm talking about... Some meds don't help.. if it's not the right kind.. it makes it worse.. I wouldn't do anything in the world to hurt NO ONE... I KNOW you can't just get off meds.. it can put you on withdraws... I just wanted to help her then you acted like I was out to kill someone.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 22, 2009, 03:04 AM

Calm yourself down. I never said you were trying to "kill her." I'm done having this conversation, if that's what you would call it, with you. Just watch with the advice you give when it comes to medical related questions. Leave that up to the professionals.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 11:28 AM
    I know enough to know what i'm talkin about... Some meds dont help.. if it's not the right kind.. it makes it worse.. i wouldnt do anything in the world to hurt NO ONE... I KNOW you can't just get off meds.. it can put you on withdraws.... I just wanted to help her then you acted like i was out to kill someone.
    Peanuts, you told her to try Xanax, forget the other meds, that is bad advice, like it or not. Not even a doctor would offer that advice over the internet, it could harm her.

This is not a Guess at an answer site, we try our very best to give accurate helpful information here. You can come and give an account of what's worked for you, state that the OP should talk to her doctor and see if the same treatment would work for her, but you cannot tell her to stop taking her meds and try the ones you're on, that could harm her.

We have to be careful what advice we give, that's all Starbuck was saying.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2009, 02:20 PM

In addition to what Starbuck8 has suggested, sometimes self-talk can help. When you feel your anxiety level to start rise, try the slow breathing and relaxation, or try the opposite. Get up and start doing an activity... clean something, sort something, whatever to help you focus on something else. Telling yourself that you are OK, that you will be fine. You know what it is, you know that it will pass. It is very scary, but you will not die from it.
    It can take several weeks to notice a change with Prozac. Speak to your doctor about how much more time to give it. It may be that an alternative will work better for you, but do check with your doctor before making any changes.
    Can you attribute the recent frequency to anything? More stress, either physical or emotional? Change in diet? The energy drink may not be the best option as for some people too much caffeine can make it worse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Panic attacks? [ 3 Answers ]

S/O says he has panic attacks well been less then 6 months and he has broken ribs again I suspect asthma anyone here got any clues, also got large red circle in center of his chest grown larger as time goes by kind of remins me of ring worm but its not.

Depresion and panic attacks [ 2 Answers ]

I suffer from depresion and panic attacks I've had a really bad life and its getting worse my son is dying and I am keeping all and everything bottled up inside I don't have anyone to talk to I feel I don't want to get up in the morning I'm tyred all the time and I feel like running and running I'm...

Panic Attacks [ 3 Answers ]

I am having panic attacks recently. I have to cut off at least one utility for some time to afford to have some dental work done. I think the cost will be between $500-$1,000, or more, from past experience. First, I'm going to cut off cable TV which I'm addicted to-I'm homebound and it is my...

Panic Attacks [ 1 Answers ]

My ten year old Brittany male, adopted 18 months ago, has had a thunder phobia that he's gotten much better about over time. Twice in the past three months he's had panic attacks when the weather was perfectly fine and there was nothing new or unusual in our home or routine. The other night he...

Panic attacks [ 2 Answers ]

Our nine week old Rhoesdian Ridgeback is having panic attacks. We are crate training her and it seemed to be going well until we tried to close the door. She absolutely freaked out and got so worked up in the space of 1 minute that she threw up her lunch. It was surprising as we often close the...

View more questions Search